Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When life gives you limes, make a mojito!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on Saturday. I think it's safe to discard your chip time if you're looking for a reference point on where you're at! 2:05 is great shape with all your recent problems (and with the new found love for the two wheels!). Waterford in December should be a perfect gauge-setting goal ;) Congrats again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Stop beating yourself up, your goal was to finish a long run and you did. You know you can run faster, and you will, on another day. Onwards and upwards (and no more talking to old ladies in toilets, ok??)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Pity I didnt get to see you on Saturday, well done on a great run... are you sure you don't want to come to Berlin? I hear the toilets on the route there are great... just think of the fun you could have:)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

If you run it slow enough, then yeah its easy peasy :rolleyes::D

Hey slow is the new fast!
    5 mins pit stop isn't too bad my pit stop cost me around 20 minutes (I've no proof of that though you'll just have to take my word!)
    You shouldn't beat yourself up about it though you ran 2.09 without putting effort into it, you just need a good shake now and someone to tell you to cop yourself on, no talking (maybe a gum shield?) and no toilet breaks (tena lady?)
    and you'll sub 2 the next time:p
    Lovely to meet you as well if only for a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

My lace opened about 500m into the race and I didnt stop to tie it incase it cost me some time (I can laugh at that whole scenario now). You need to take a leaf out of my book :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Thanks Ladies for the kind advice - tena lady has to be the top suggestion madon :D. Not sure I will try that one though all the same. I can def laugh about it all now!!

Mon Sept 17th

I had an appointment with the gym instructor this eve to put together a core conditioning programme for me. Aim is obviously to strengthen everything in an effort to reduce the injuries. Good god but she nearly killed me :eek:. I can safely say I have not been that knackered in a very long time. I think its Karma for Saturday :D.
    I could not face heading out on the roads for the planned recovery run after so I hopped on the treadmill for my 3 miles. It was tough going! Lesson learnt, do run before the core session :rolleyes:

Even picking up the gym bag and heading down the stairs in the gym was torture afterwards :o. I'm gonna hurt in the morn!!
    Run - 3 miles

Marthastew wrote: »
    Pity I didnt get to see you on Saturday, well done on a great run... are you sure you don't want to come to Berlin? I hear the toilets on the route there are great... just think of the fun you could have:)

I saw you in the distance at the small t-shirts but ye had just run out and were getting some grief so I headed for the saftey of the Medium...which were gone too! Def not doing Berlin, twud take me about 10 hours with my motor mouth!!
    My lace opened about 500m into the race and I didnt stop to tie it incase it cost me some time (I can laugh at that whole scenario now). You need to take a leaf out of my book :):)

Yes boss, I shall take this more serious in future. Novice mistake there tho Ro, a bit disappointed in you really...double knot all the way girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Well done on the run; I enjoyed your race report, even the bit about spitball-man (yuk!).

Yes boss, I shall take this more serious in future. Novice mistake there tho Ro, a bit disappointed in you really...double knot all the way girl!!

Can you teach me mom?

Can you teach me mom?

I'll get you lace locks for your next birthday :D. How was the session?

• Advertisement

Tues Sept 18th

30 min Progression Run

Boy was I sore today after yesterdays session so todays run was interesting! Another progression run with 10 mins warm up, 10 mins at current HM pace and 10 mins at planned HM pace. Cool down jog back to the car. Oh and for the record, I'm basing my current HM time off 2:05 not 2:09 :)

Sounds like a good session. What's your planned HM pace...6:45m/m?
    Session wasn't good for me at all. I'm thinking of packing it in for good now. Maybe take up football instead or something.

Session wasn't good for me at all. I'm thinking of packing it in for good now. Maybe take up football instead or something.

Planned pace is 6:30m/m for my 1:25 half attempt ;). Ah no not football, thats for wusses. Hurling is the way to go...do ye Garden of Ireland wans know what a hurley is :P

Planned pace is 6:30m/m for my 1:25 half attempt ;). Ah no not football, thats for wusses. Hurling is the way to go...do ye Garden of Ireland wans know what a hurley is :P

There is nothing we don't know about Gaelic Games down there. We just missed the deadline for entry to the hurling championship this year. You know how it is.

Log Update fail...

Wed Sept 19th

Session with the physio to try sort out the achilles problem. Painful but not as bad as I expected. Legs actually felt great afterwards for the first time in months.

Thur Sept 20th

3 Miles Pace

The first time in 9 months that I wasn't like an old woman when I first got up this morn. Anyone with Achilles problems will know the hobbling first thing in the morning and the dread of the stairs. None of that this morning :) Lovely pace run along the coast. Legs a wee bit tender after the session last night but nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Sun Sept 23rd

MSR - 10 miles

Plan said 6 but I missed the 3 on yesterdays plan so I decided to add it onto todays run. Yes I am aware it is a big no,no but it would only bring me up to 9 so I thought it would be ok :rolleyes:. Met up with some friends and a lovely run and chat was had but they made me add on another mile to round it up to 10! Run felt good with no niggles what so ever during or after the run...I'm in shock as this is an alien feeling to me :eek:. Fingers crossed that I get a break and this can last for rest of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Log Update fail...

Sun Sept 23rd

MSR - 10 miles

Plan said 6 but I missed the 3 on yesterdays plan so I decided to add it onto todays run. Yes I am aware it is a big no,no but it would only bring me up to 9 so I thought it would be ok :rolleyes:. Met up with some friends and a lovely run and chat was had but they made me add on another mile to round it up to 10! Run felt good with no niggles what so ever during or after the run...I'm in shock as this is an alien feeling to me :eek:. Fingers crossed that I get a break and this can last for rest of year.

OMG Banner, you'd want to have a word with those friends as that is putting you at serious injury risk..glad it was with no niggles though!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Post a picture of yourself to us and we'll stick it to the Brandenburg Gate:eek:;)

Younganne wrote: »
    OMG Banner, you'd want to have a word with those friends as that is putting you at serious injury risk..glad it was with no niggles though!!!:D

Do u know I was only saying during the week that I need to unfriend some peeps :p
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Post a picture of yourself to us and we'll stick it to the Brandenburg Gate:eek:;)

Ggggggrrrrrr...so kind of you digs :mad:. Could you not have offered to have a beer or 5 for me :p. Oh and make sure CL has a stool for the night, I rem what she was like after DCM last year :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ggggggrrrrrr...so kind of you digs :mad:. Could you not have offered to have a beer or 5 for me :p. Oh and make sure CL has a stool for the night, I rem what she was like after DCM last year :D

Wonder if I still have those videos...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Let's get back to that achilles problem - is it at the back (not bottom) of the heel?? I've been suffering from something tight and painful at the back of my right heel for months now. I believe it came on sometime after my marathon in April, seems to be aggravated when I run on gravel (or maybe it's just non-smooth surfaces), and tends to feel better after I've warmed up a few miles. I even walk funny when I first get up in the morning or when I've been sitting for a spell. I've tried to rest it, but that's hard to do. Does any of this sound familiar to you??

Oh, nice 10 miler. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Met up with some friends and a lovely run and chat was had QUOTE]

Can't believe you went off with somebody else. :(:eek:
    Guess who's not getting any cupcakes now. I had them all ready to ship to Brazil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yikes sorry bp I just found your log now!!! I'm always late for everything:D
    Delighted to see you doing a nice long run with no pain. I'm so similar to you, constantly praying to get a nice clear run of injury free running. Its so frustrating!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Let's get back to that achilles problem - is it at the back (not bottom) of the heel?? I've been suffering from something tight and painful at the back of my right heel for months now. I believe it came on sometime after my marathon in April, seems to be aggravated when I run on gravel (or maybe it's just non-smooth surfaces), and tends to feel better after I've warmed up a few miles. I even walk funny when I first get up in the morning or when I've been sitting for a spell. I've tried to rest it, but that's hard to do. Does any of this sound familiar to you??

Oh, nice 10 miler. ;)

Sorry Dory, I have about 5 mins to update so I will answer later I promise :)

Tues Sept 25th

Easy Run - 2 miles

A lovely new shiny plan is in place for me so hopefully the start of a new injury free era ;). A looooong day/night of travelling and straight into work at other side of flight meant I was wrecked for this one. But I didn't want to miss my first planned run! I was delighted to see it was just 2 miles easy so I took off to the local park here for it. Temp is only about 22 but humidity is 52% so twas a sweaty one.
    Distance: 2 miles
    Avg Pace: 09:34

Food time (and not that crap that was served on the flight :eek:) and sleep are now on agenda

jcsmum wrote: »

Met up with some friends and a lovely run and chat was had QUOTE]

Can't believe you went off with somebody else. :(:eek:
    Guess who's not getting any cupcakes now. I had them all ready to ship to Brazil!

Hmmmm, times like this you know who your friends are all right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new plan shaz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new plan shaz!!

^+1, heres hoping you stay injury free too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Dory Dory wrote: »

Oh, nice 10 miler. ;)

Sorry to butt in, but I had a very similar problem when I was younger. Turned out it was caused by a fallen arch in that foot. I'd advise getting it looked t by a good physio!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What's the plan? What's the plan? I NEED to know! :)

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What's the plan? What's the plan? I NEED to know! :)

As Pinky and the Brain say, my plan is world domination :) Nah plan is about starting from scratch and building up slowly again - not my usual of picking a race last minute and injuring myself trying to get to start line!! Aim is to be running consistently for a while injury free and then look at targeting times down the road.

Advertisement