Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When life gives you limes, make a mojito!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Wed Sept 26th

Plan - 4 miles easy

Wow what a difference a day makes. Temp was down to 13 degrees today so very funny to watch the locals absolutely freezing as they are not accustomed to this. Any local runners I saw were in full winter/snow gear almost whilst I ran around in t-shirt and shorts - got some strange "are you out of your mind" looks! Run itself was awful as a local establishment had tried to poison me at lunch with some very dodgy chicken :(. A sprint finish was required for the last half mile to get me back to the hotel before any incidents!
    Distance: 4
    Avg Pace: 10:17

Sorry to butt in, but I had a very similar problem when I was younger. Turned out it was caused by a fallen arch in that foot. I'd advise getting it looked t by a good physio!

Absolutely agree with getting it checked by a good physio as everyone is different
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Let's get back to that achilles problem - is it at the back (not bottom) of the heel?? I've been suffering from something tight and painful at the back of my right heel for months now. I believe it came on sometime after my marathon in April, seems to be aggravated when I run on gravel (or maybe it's just non-smooth surfaces), and tends to feel better after I've warmed up a few miles. I even walk funny when I first get up in the morning or when I've been sitting for a spell. I've tried to rest it, but that's hard to do. Does any of this sound familiar to you??

Oh, nice 10 miler. ;)

As above I will do the usual boards mantra of saying get it checked out and so I won't advise you on your specific problems ;)

Instead I will describe what was my experience and the cause...for me the problem point was at the insertion point of the tendon into the heel. Started about last Feb after increasing hill work and worn heel cage on my asics. It felt like a bruise on bottom of tendon and would be sore for first mile on a run but then fine. It was very stiff every morning and after sitting for a while (so flights, work etc) but eased after about a half hour after that. As it wasn't affecting my running to much and shin was more problematic, I wasnt too worried about it! I got calf massages, did the stretches and did some eccentric heel dips but it was always a problem. Even when out with the shin for 5 odd weeks, it was still an issue so rest was no good to me.
    But in the past month the pain has not gone away during runs and would last a long time after so I went to physio.
    He dug right into the calves as a tight calf was the root cause. He now has me doing ~120 - 150 heel dips daily with weights in a rucksack on my back to strengthen it. It hurts and its supposed to!! I have to then ensure my calf muscles are as loose as possible so a daily treatment of a calf massage via the Stick is doing the trick. Naturally I have to stretch the crap out of it too! Since I started the routine last week, I have had no pain at all and more importantly no stiffness in the mornings and perfect after a 14 hour flight the other night. HTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wed Sept 26th

Plan - 4 miles easy

Wow what a difference a day makes. Temp was down to 13 degrees today so very funny to watch the locals absolutely freezing as they are not accustomed to this. Any local runners I saw were in full winter/snow gear almost whilst I ran around in t-shirt and shorts - got some strange "are you out of your mind" looks! Run itself was awful as a local establishment had tried to poison me at lunch with some very dodgy chicken :(. A sprint finish was required for the last half mile to get me back to the hotel before any incidents!
    Distance: 4
    Avg Pace: 10:17

and you wearing shorts:eek:, at least if you had your winter snow gear on like the locals you would have been fine!!

I hope you are better today!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Oh not nice- I have felt your pain on many occasion. Hope you have got over it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

... He now has me doing ~120 - 150 heel dips daily with weights in a rucksack on my back to strengthen it. It hurts and its supposed to!! I have to then ensure my calf muscles are as loose as possible so a daily treatment of a calf massage via the Stick is doing the trick. Naturally I have to stretch the crap out of it too! Since I started the routine last week, I have had no pain at all and more importantly no stiffness in the mornings and perfect after a 14 hour flight the other night. HTH!

Sounds like a torture routine! :eek:
    But I guess if it's working for you then it'll be worth it.

Good luck with the recovery, the torture and the training. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies, all good again.
    Emer, if it helps me I'm willing to put up with that torture - anything to keep me on the road :D

Thur Sept 27th

Morning strength session in the hotel gym. I had to improvise a bit as lets just say that their definition of a gym differs alot from mine :rolleyes:

Sat Sept 29th

Plan - 3 miles easy

I left work on Thurs eve and it only took me 29 hours to get home...thats some traffic jam :eek: :rolleyes:. So when the alarm went off this morning to meet jcsmum and Ro for a few miles, I bailed as I was like a zombie. Sorry ladies :)
    So I put the feet up for the day flicking between the Ryder Cup, Grease and Sex and the City marathon instead...hey I like drama and had no brain power!! Eventually hauled my ass off the couch and I really did not want to do this.
    So glad I did though as it was just one of those perfect runs :D. Everything just felt great and I loved being out in the fresh air. I ignored the watch completely and ran purely by feel. Pace ended up being too fast for an easy run but hey ho it felt really good. I would love to be able to bottle this feeling!

Distance: 3.02
    Pace: 09:17

Hey Banner, park tomorrow??;)

Sun Sept 30th

Plan - 4 Easy Run (instead of the 26.2 I should have been doing in Berlin :()

I decided not to Anne up on her kind offer to join her for the mad LSR session she was doing and watched Berlin instead! I've known for along time I obviously would not be running it but it was still a bit hard to take today. Cracking performances by the Boards crew tho so I would only have been dragging the standard down :eek:

Anyway back to my plan of 4 easy. The first 2 were tough enough into a strong wind and I did wonder why I was bothering with this! But as usual took a dose of HTFU and just gone on with it. Other 2 miles were fine once I relaxed - also helped by the tail wind :)

Distance: 4.02
    Avg Pace: 09:29

Plan for next week...

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Strength|3 mile easy|4 miles easy|3 Miles easy|OFF|4 Miles easy|5 Miles easy

good woman, i love it when a plan comes together;)

you missed it, the sun was shining in the park this morning and there wasn't a flutter out of any leaves on the trees........i wish, galefore winds, torrential rain and then the sun came out on my way home and it didn't seem to have rained in the North east all morning!! Typical!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Plan for next week...

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Strength|3 mile easy|4 miles easy|3 Miles easy|OFF|4 Miles easy|5 Miles easy

Any swimming or cycling in that plan banner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sat Sept 29th

Plan - 3 miles easy

I left work on Thurs eve and it only took me 29 hours to get home...thats some traffic jam :eek: :rolleyes:. So when the alarm went off this morning to meet jcsmum and Ro for a few miles, I bailed as I was like a zombie. Sorry ladies

We forgive you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Hope all goes well with this and you'll be at Berlin next year.
    I like the plan over 5 days- I'll be keeping a very close eye here:D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Any swimming or cycling in that plan banner?

NO, not for the remainder of the year. Cycling scene coming to an end so I can cut back on that. I do have plenty of plans for cycling next year tho but can start back in Jan/Feb :D.
    I want to focus on getting this running lark down :mad:. So don't yourself or RQ encourage tri's in any way.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    We forgive you. :)

Ah shucks does that mean I back in your homies crew now :p
    madon wrote: »
    Hope all goes well with this and you'll be at Berlin next year.
    I like the plan over 5 days- I'll be keeping a very close eye here:D
    Oi have you not read the first post - no marathons on this log so the only reason I will be in Berlin is for drinking activities :D

So where to start...after my last log I have done pretty much zilch both running and gym wise.
    By end of October I hated running with a passion and I mean truely despised it! I was fed up of constantly running in pain and it was ruining the joy of it. Addiction can only get you so far :rolleyes: So I quit...not just running but all forms of exercise and basically did nothing for Novemeber except eat and drink. Naturally that has a consequence so fast forward to last w-end when my once loose pair of jeans were emmm...now a snug fit shall we say! Cue major melt down and the following day I laced up the dusty runners and out I went for 3 miles. I died a very slow death but my liking (not quite love) for running was back :)

After that I did the only logical thing I could - I did a couple more very easy runs and I picked a 5km race to kick my lazy fat ass...

Dec 1st - Parkrun 5km

Beautiful morning for a run as I went off to try my first parkrun. After my first kettlebell class in a year + last night, I hurt getting out of bed this morn...and in places where I never knew I could :eek: This was going to be interesting but the thought of that scone and coffee afterwards spurred me on...see where my priorities lie :D

I can't say enough about Parkruns, really well organised and a good course. Great to have it on my local running grounds but my local knowledge didn't help coz I knew exactly what was coming and when!!

I got my ass well and truely kicked though and my time was horrendous but it served it's purpose. More importantly no niggles so I am chuffed with that. Hopefully its onwards and upwards from here - in fairness I couldn't get any worse :(

Discounted scone and coffee after in Avoca, very happy days.

Plans are take it nice and easy on the comeback trail...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who are you?

Who are you?

Ah ffs M, I leave for a few weeks and you already have forgotten me...not feeling the love :). 2 slices of choccie biscuit cake now to make up for my hurt feelings...otherwise I will trip you tomoro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Welcome back stranger :P Good luck with the comeback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I haven't forgotten you!! :D Sorry it took your loose pair of jeans to coerce you back, but whatever it takes, right?? ;) Gald you're back. :)

Welcome back Missus, ...slow & steady & all that malarky;)....you'll get there!!!:D

• Advertisement

Thank you ladies, it's nice that some people remembered me :). Although RQ is forgiven after she showed up with choccie cake after the xc this morn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Of course I remembered you, I was trying to play it cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I hope you're here to stay missus. Thanks again for minding the lads this morning, snots and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Good to see you back. Especially as I can so identify with the idea of discounted scones and coffee being a motivating factor for doing a run! I think I only do the Le Cheile Leixlip 5k each year because of the cakes afterwards :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice to see you back posting banner :) The old jeans test, nothing like it for motivation ;) Best of luck with comeback, and lots of pb's in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Delighted to see you back BP. Nothing like a race to get the love back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Welcome back:D
    We've missed you and your funny stories:)

I'm well impressed that you had such a busy return over the weekend. Best of luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hiya Missus. Welcome back.
    I had a similar non-running november (injury issues ) and ran a total of 8 very slow miles in the whole month! :eek:
    Think I'm more or less sorted now, but life is again consipring against me and I probably won't get out this week much either :(

So I'll be watching your comeback with interest. :D

Sunday 2nd Dec

In the spirit of christmas and all that I offered to keep an eye on juniors whilst jcsmummy ran the xc course. Oddly enough she never mentioned the snots before hand so twas a lively session!! Only kidding, the juniors were great as we roared on Mummy and Bros Pearse team. Also decided to give a shout out to RQ too in advance of some promised choccie cake! Well done to the women in yuckie conditions.

Anyway onto things exercise related. Headed off to gym afterwards for a bit of a mixed session of bike, rowing and a couple of miles on the treadmill (yes Anne that is correct!)

Monday Dec 3rd

Lovely gym session again with a mixture of cardio and weights.

Tuesday Dec 4th

I was freezing and achy all day so hummed and hawed over an outside run or treadmill. Laced up and headed outside into the v cold wind for an easy 3 mile run. It was a lovely run but I was freezing afterwards...should have known better!
    Got home and an hour later I was hugging the toilet, my new best friend for the next 48+ hours. Horrible stomach bug :mad:

Hoping to get some food into me this eve (and keep it in!) and will try a couple of easy miles tomoro at some stage. Not the first week I wanted back but hope the weekend is better.

• Advertisement

lightweight...:D

Advertisement