Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving cert-Some questions

• 18-08-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone...I am repeating my leaving cert this year and need some advice.
    I need to jump up around 100 or more points which I know.
    My worst subject is Chemistry and really need a B2 in it this year(at least) but only got a D1 this year. Does anyone think this is achieveable or would anyone recommend doing a different subject??

I had the worst teacher ever but this year the teacher is so good :D Obviously I would prefer to keep Chemistry but I am scared.
    Need around 510 points and will be studying my ass off but as always if anyone who has repeated would be like to share some tips that would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

is it only chemistry you are repeating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

David1994 wrote: »
    My worst subject is Chemistry and really need a B2 in it this year(at least) but only got a D1 this year. Does anyone think this is achieveable or would anyone recommend doing a different subject??

I think it could be achievable.. I got a D3 in geography and repeated it and got a B1.. I know they are very different subjects but if you put the work in. And with a different teacher too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I would say if you work really hard at chemistry it is definitely achievable. The maths questions in chemistry are what always used to catch me out but I knew the theory really really well and I still managed an A2 when I repeated. Really concentrate on knowing all your definitions inside out and also the experiments and organic chemistry and I'd say you should be fine. I would say though try not to leave any of the course out to give yourself as many options as possible on the day. It is a relatively short course compared to many others on the LC so you should manage this. Best of luck repeating it sucks but is so worth it if it all works out for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

euddue wrote: »

No I am also doing Biology,Geography,Spanish,Irish and English :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Definitely possible for Chemistry. I was a really weak Chemistry student in 5th year but the way I got better was exam papers :) I also bought a great book called "Exam Edge" which covers all exam questions up to 2009 and divides them by chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

What did you get in Geography and Irish? Higher or Ordinary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Hi David1994! I repeated this year and it was the best decision I ever made. I got a good leaving cert the year before (mid 400's), but I was 15 points off my course so I decided to go back.

I came up 70 points, 25 of them were from honors maths. Is there any way you could do maths next year? Considering a D3 in honors is worth 10 more points than an A1 in pass!

I did 6 subjects (dropped English). Make sure and view your scripts to see you marks in the projects and where you lost marks. I definitely think going up 100 is achievable once you put effort in! :D

Definitely possible for Chemistry. I was a really weak Chemistry student in 5th year but the way I got better was exam papers :) I also bought a great book called "Exam Edge" which covers all exam questions up to 2009 and divides them by chapter.

Thanks for the advice :) This gives me inspiration..:P I have seen "Exam Edge" and it seems a very good aid for Chemistry. Out of curiosity what did you get in Chemistry?
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    What did you get in Geography and Irish? Higher or Ordinary?

Hi. Both higher-Got B3 in Geography and C1 in Irish :/ However I was very disappointed with these results..Not to mention English :P
    crayon1 wrote: »
    Hi David1994! I repeated this year and it was the best decision I ever made. I got a good leaving cert the year before (mid 400's), but I was 15 points off my course so I decided to go back.

I came up 70 points, 25 of them were from honors maths. Is there any way you could do maths next year? Considering a D3 in honors is worth 10 more points than an A1 in pass!

I did 6 subjects (dropped English). Make sure and view your scripts to see you marks in the projects and where you lost marks. I definitely think going up 100 is achievable once you put effort in! :D

Thanks for the advice and I am glad everything worked out for you! I will be viewing a few of my scripts anyway as I am unhappy with a lot of them..Also I will probably not take up Honours Maths as I already have my B3 in pass maths and do not want to have to do it again :P Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I went up by 35 points i chemistry after repeating!! so it can definetely be done:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hi. Both higher-Got B3 in Geography and C1 in Irish :/ However I was very disappointed with these results..Not to mention English :P

That's good you did higher. Seeing your disappointed with them I presume you'll be doing them this year? I mention Irish and Geog because one they were my two favourite subjects, two I got a's in both and three they are very easy to pick up marks and do very good in with a little bit of extra work and focus. You should be reasonably sorted for the Irish oral. Sure you've new pictures but you'll have a rough idea of them already seeing you did 20 last year we'll say. But regardless of having a 'script' already...improve on it. I was naturally good at Irish but I'm telling you if you get to like Irish and put in effort a high b is definitely manageable. A big thing in Irish to impress the examiner is not your knowledge from studying stuff but nice snappy little phrases. I honestly can only think of a handful now but I'd a few pages of them that I knew and they just came to me naturally after a while. You can throw them in everywhere from poetry to the essay to the oral. And they're not hard to find. Internet, text books etc. Everyone was always impressed with my answers and how they flowed so nicely and were appealing. Sure I knew my **** but those phrases put the examiner in a good mood
    and you're more likely to get more marks.

As for Geography. Well you will need to really focus on that to do really well. I got an A1 but eventhough I was chuffed to get it I wouldn't have settled for anything less. I wrote my ass off in that exam. For 30 mark questions that required a page to a page and a half I wrote two to two and a half. Geography is very easy to do well in if you just concentrate on it. I was so focused on Geog that I did no maths p. 1 study the night before the exam...all geog. A good tip for Geog especially is learn to write really really fast. I'm probably the fastest writer in my school and with that I could write so much more than anyone else. Does writing very fast hurt? You bet. I was in agony during most exams because of it but it's only for a short period of time that will pay off for years to come. I know you're probably like how can you learn to write fast but trust me you can. Doing simple exercises like filling a page with writing from a book in as little time as possible and then trying to beat it. It'll train your hand to write faster and your wrists and fingers will get stronger so you can endure more too. Honestly I'd recommend this for any subject but definitely Geography. You've very little time to write when you think about it so you've got to really bust your lungs especially if you want an a. But you're clearly good at both subjects. They're good grades. You've an advantage that you've done the courses already....are you going looking at your scripts? Please do, especially for Irish and Geog. See where you went wrong and take note of it. See where you did great too because you can find out why you're doing good at that. I hope this helps just a little if anything...if you want any help with Irish or Geog please shout or even PM me... I'll gladly help. I'm not a teacher or expert by any means but I got A's in both subjects and honestly they were pretty easy to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

euddue wrote: »

If he needs more points he has to repeat the whole lot, points can only be take from a single sitting.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I went up by 35 points i chemistry after repeating!! so it can definetely be done:)

Fair play! :) Just curious but what grade did you go from? And did you do anything different second time around? :)

Fair play! :) Just curious but what grade did you go from? And did you do anything different second time around? :)

I went from a D2 to a B1. I had an awesome teacher second time around so that helped my teacher was dreadful the first time. I tried to undestand chemistry this year not rote learning it like last year.

I also used the book more this year than last year and avoided a revision book until the last month.

Also no one word answers for hl you have to write sentences i only discovered that this year:pac:

And no predicting!

I went from a D2 to a B1. I had an awesome teacher second time around so that helped my teacher was dreadful the first time. I tried to undestand chemistry this year not rote learning it like last year.

I also used the book more this year than last year and avoided a revision book until the last month.

Also no one word answers for hl you have to write sentences i only discovered that this year:pac:

And no predicting!

Yep I can relate to to whole crap teacher first time round :P Yeah I think I am going to use the book more :) Fair play again on the result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I went from a C2 in chemistry in the mock to an A1 in the exam, so it's definitely possible to improve a LOT in the subject if you put the work in.

In my opinion the acids and bases and pH and indicators chapters are some of the easiest, as are organic chemistry, fuels and heats of reaction, stoichiometry and the scientists for the short questions.

Experiments are so important. I put so much work into them coming up to the exam. Make VERY short summaries of each experiment. For the titrations, just learn the method and what you do with the pipette, burette, conical flask etc once, and then for each titrations just write down the chemical in the burette and the conical flask, and which indicator you used. It makes them so so much easier to remember, than when the important information is all mixed in with stuff that's the same each time and which you already know. Summaries of experiments should be like half an A4 page max, and make sure you know the diagrams as diagram questions are usually very easy. But honestly, the experiment questions are a great place to pick up marks as they're usually much easier than the other questions.

Like if you do 3 experiment questions, the short questions, fuels and heats of reaction and organic chemistry, that's 6 out of 8 already and they pretty much always come up. Oh, water is another good one, and if you get part of a question on pH and indicators you should be thanking ALL the gods as those calculations are the easiest you can get. And rates of reaction! That's a brilliant chapter too.

I actually have some very good chapter summaries and experiment summaries written out, if I can find them I could scan them for you if you want? I did them all after my C2 made me realise I should start working, before that I had no notes. I don't have all the chapters or experiments done though, I'm too lazy for that. :L I used to hate chemistry and it was always my worst subject, but when I started actually working at it, I realised I really liked it and I spent more time at it than any other subject because studying it was fun. :o

finality wrote: »
    I went from a C2 in chemistry in the mock to an A1 in the exam, so it's definitely possible to improve a LOT in the subject if you put the work in.

In my opinion the acids and bases and pH and indicators chapters are some of the easiest, as are organic chemistry, fuels and heats of reaction, stoichiometry and the scientists for the short questions.

Experiments are so important. I put so much work into them coming up to the exam. Make VERY short summaries of each experiment. For the titrations, just learn the method and what you do with the pipette, burette, conical flask etc once, and then for each titrations just write down the chemical in the burette and the conical flask, and which indicator you used. It makes them so so much easier to remember, than when the important information is all mixed in with stuff that's the same each time and which you already know. Summaries of experiments should be like half an A4 page max, and make sure you know the diagrams as diagram questions are usually very easy. But honestly, the experiment questions are a great place to pick up marks as they're usually much easier than the other questions.

Like if you do 3 experiment questions, the short questions, fuels and heats of reaction and organic chemistry, that's 6 out of 8 already and they pretty much always come up. Oh, water is another good one, and if you get part of a question on pH and indicators you should be thanking ALL the gods as those calculations are the easiest you can get. And rates of reaction! That's a brilliant chapter too.

I actually have some very good chapter summaries and experiment summaries written out, if I can find them I could scan them for you if you want? I did them all after my C2 made me realise I should start working, before that I had no notes. I don't have all the chapters or experiments done though, I'm too lazy for that. :L I used to hate chemistry and it was always my worst subject, but when I started actually working at it, I realised I really liked it and I spent more time at it than any other subject because studying it was fun. :o

Thank you so much for the input and well done on your fantastic result :) I will definitely put a lot of work in and having a good teacher will be a bonus.. I sort of realised I was doing very generalised study of chapters but somehow leaving out the nitty gritty pieces of vital information.
    If you had time I would really appreciate those notes :) Thanks agin for everything! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Timbo6

Feel stupid even asking, but these colleges never email back..
    Gonna' be repeating, I have done chemistry and got the required C3. SO I can reapply to Veterinary next year not doing chemistry and not counting it for points?

Timbo6 wrote: »
    Feel stupid even asking, but these colleges never email back..
    Gonna' be repeating, I have done chemistry and got the required C3. SO I can reapply to Veterinary next year not doing chemistry and not counting it for points?

no problem good to be sure. yes you can drop chemistry and focus on 6 other subjects.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm thinking of repeating and have a few questions.

1- Could I defer the offer I don't want until next year as a failsafe?
    2- Can I use this years points again next year if I was to somehow do worse.
    3- Physics, Chemistry or Ag Science. Are they doable in one year? If so which one would be best?
    4- Geography project, will I have to do that again?

Thanks.

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    I'm thinking of repeating and have a few questions.

2- Can I use this years points again next year if I was to somehow do worse.
    3- Physics, Chemistry or Ag Science. Are they doable in one year? If so which one would be best?
    4- Geography project, will I have to do that again?

Thanks.

1. I'm not sure with this sorry.

2. Yes they take your best points out of the two sittings.

3. This really depends on you, do you do biology? then maybe ag science is an option. But then theres a project. Physics and chemistry are hard to do in one year but are you willing to work hard at them. I heard the combined physchem course is easier.

4. yes you have to do the geography project again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Silver_Tiger

That's good news for me so :D

That's good news for me so :D

and the thing is i wouldnt have studied chemistry really hard during the year. Just a couple of pages a day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Thanks for the advice :) This gives me inspiration..:P I have seen "Exam Edge" and it seems a very good aid for Chemistry. Out of curiosity what did you get in Chemistry?

A1. I was a B/C student in 5th year because I couldn't understand it at all.

Thanks Sunny for the answers.

Can anyone answer this question, possibly one of the mods or whoever.

Also, I don't really want to do my Geography project again, and am fairly sure it's close to full marks, so could I sneakily pocket my old one when I view it. :pac:

Thanks Sunny for the answers.

Can anyone answer this question, possibly one of the mods or whoever.

Also, I don't really want to do my Geography project again, and am fairly sure it's close to full marks, so could I sneakily pocket my old one when I view it. :pac:

have you your notes from last year, did your teacher make you do drafts?

i'll be just using the drafts this year:pac:

have you your notes from last year, did your teacher make you do drafts?

i'll be just using the drafts this year:pac:

I don't know if I can find the draft, and a lot of the draft is different to the real thing. :L

I'd nearly chance taking it home or taking photos of it on my phone. :cool:

I don't know if I can find the draft, and a lot of the draft is different to the real thing. :L

I'd nearly chance taking it home or taking photos of it on my phone. :cool:

:L god luck with that plan!

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    A1. I was a B/C student in 5th year because I couldn't understand it at all.

How did you study in 6th year? Did you change anything you were doing revision wise? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

As regards deferring- if you defer a course you have to put it as the only choice on your cao, or you lose the deferred place and enter the system in the normal way. So if you want to apply for other courses through the cao, you won't really be able to keep the deferred place.

But I mean, you could defer the place now and decide you just want to take it next year, before the cao closes, so having that option of the deferred course until the cao closes couldn't do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't re-submit work which has already been assessed.

Advertisement