Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving cert-Some questions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Would physics be doable in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Timbo6

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Would physics be doable in a year?

Alot of subjects I would be do-able in a year, physics ain't one of them. IMO, it's probably the heaviest of the sciences.
    Outside of Ag.. Do ag :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Just asking, would it be stupid to repeat the Leaving, for like the second time?

First time I only got 280, second 390.. And yet I still didn't get what I wanted. Literally have my heart set on only one course, just the thing is people are telling me there's no point and to move on from the Leaving and try a new course.. My family didn't want me to repeat this year gone either.
    I know which subjects I'd pick, because the last two times there was no subjects available in the schools to give me an easy advantage in points, like I'm very musical and I never got to do music.. In opposite absolutely terrible at chemistry but had to do it and got a C. :L

In one sense I'm just thinking of what other people will say; I'm repeating for the third time. :L
    In the other, I honestly know I won't be happy until I get this course... Any advice anyone? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Just asking, would it be stupid to repeat the Leaving, for like the second time?

First time I only got 280, second 390.. And yet I still didn't get what I wanted. Literally have my heart set on only one course, just the thing is people are telling me there's no point and to move on from the Leaving and try a new course.. My family didn't want me to repeat this year gone either.
    I know which subjects I'd pick, because the last two times there was no subjects available in the schools to give me an easy advantage in points, like I'm very musical and I never got to do music.. In opposite absolutely terrible at chemistry but had to do it and got a C. :L

In one sense I'm just thinking of what other people will say; I'm repeating for the third time. :L
    In the other, I honestly know I won't be happy until I get this course... Any advice anyone? :(

I know people who have repeated the 3rd time and in one instance the 4th time and got their course. If its what you want to do do it. Its your life and you've to live with the decisions not the people around you. I'll be doing the lc for the 3rd time this year and i couldnt be bothered what people think.

good luck with your choice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What course was it? Did you get another course that you could do? then you can maybe transfer after the 2nd year to a different college? People have said you can do that. I know people who repeated this year but decided not to sit the leaving cert do they're doing the year again. It's up to you if you really want that course. It'd be a lot of effort to put in another year. I don't think there's anything wrong with repeating for the third time if it gets you to where you want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Also, I don't really want to do my Geography project again, and am fairly sure it's close to full marks, so could I sneakily pocket my old one when I view it. :pac:
    Apart from not being able to re-submit corrected work, the geo field work changes every year, it alternates between processes of erosion (in a coastal area and processes of deposition in a coastal area (I know there are other option but I repeated so I only know of those).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ice And Fire

1) Stick with Chemistry,
    2) Buy Exam Edge by folens,
    3) avoid the optional question(s)
    4) put extra work into the organic section (including fuels), and
    5) you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Timbo6 wrote: »
    Alot of subjects I would be do-able in a year, physics ain't one of them. IMO, it's probably the heaviest of the sciences.
    Outside of Ag.. Do ag :D

I studied honours physics 5 days before the leaving cert and got a B2. I decided to sit the exam at short notice and just didnt get a chance to study it til I finished the biology exam the week before. Its very doable if your motivated! I did 8 hours a day for 5 days of just physics, it was a subject i never studied before so it was tough at first but then it clicked. I narrowed the course down at bit. I focused mainly on modern physics, electricity, electromagnetic but had a good idea of the rest of the course. I studied the experiments two days before hand, again i narrowed it down a bit. I found doing all the previous exam papers was a huge help! Anyway my point is if your motivated anything is possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blinky9325

Repeating was so worth it for me. I changed schools cause the teachers (especially chem) were bad. I got an E in chem last year and came out with a B3 this year! It's the teacher that makes the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blinky9325

I'm repeating for the second time! I changed schools last year and went up 160 points and still didn't get my course, then again my course was 585 this year. Everyone is going to college and it sucks but I need this course and people are like "Oh go the long way, sure the leaving is a waste of time". But I've my heart set on the course and nothing is stopping me cause it's 8 years the graduate way. Don't do it for anyone else. Determination is something to be proud of! :P Plus third time lucky? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

Ok so i need help :p
    Few Q's
    1. Can you defer your course you were offered this year after accepting it?
    2. What subjects would be worth taking up this year that would be easy to get a high grade in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Would people say it's more beneficial to repeat externally or in a repeat school? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 poisonoak

Would people say it's more beneficial to repeat externally or in a repeat school? :/

It honestly depends from person to person. Only you know yourself and how things went last year well enough to know which is right for you. Repeating externally and doing everything by yourself requires huge amounts of motivation but it suits some people better than going back to school. Both have their pros and cons.

Advertisement