Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knitting, Pattern Help.

• 18-08-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm knitting a girls raglan cardigan. I am on the left front section. The pattern reads:

Shape Raglan.
    Cast off 5 stitches in patt, patt to end.

(do i cast the 5 stitches off at the beginnging of the row or end of row, i'm on a knit row. If i cast off at end of knit row do i use decrease method?)

purl next row (ok with this)

Work 2 rows dec 1 st at raglan edge in every row.

(where is the raglan edge? Do i decrease at the end of the knit row and beginning of the purl row?)

Work 29 rows dec 1 st at raglan edge in next and every foll alt row.

(the next row is knit, do i decrease at the end or beginning of the row? i take it i purl as normal and only decrease on the knit rows)

Stuck on this i have unravelled it 3 times now it just looked wrong and help will be much appreciated.

evelyn:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The five stitches you cast off are to form the 'underarm' so you just cast them off at the start of the next row.

Purl row (brings you back to the raglan edge)

The raglan edge is then the side that you cast off the five stitches from. so you cast off one stitch at the beginning of the next row (call it the knit row) and the end of the following row.

You are back at the raglan edge again so you cast off at the beginning of the next row and every alternate row for 29 rows.

So the raglan edge is the start of the knit row on this side.

(Since you are working in a pattern (I gather?) you should do it as the pattern says, but if it were all in stocking stitch I would knit two stitches then knit two together to decrease as it gives you a tidier edge.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Shape Raglan.
    Cast off 5 stitches in patt, patt to end.

(do i cast the 5 stitches off at the beginnging of the row or end of row, i'm on a knit row. If i cast off at end of knit row do i use decrease method?)

cast off at the start of the row

purl next row (ok with this)

Work 2 rows dec 1 st at raglan edge in every row.

(where is the raglan edge? Do i decrease at the end of the knit row and beginning of the purl row?)

Raglan edge is the bit that will go under the arm and attach to the sleeve piece

Work 29 rows dec 1 st at raglan edge in next and every foll alt row.

(the next row is knit, do i decrease at the end or beginning of the row? i take it i purl as normal and only decrease on the knit rows)

you'll know by now as the raglan edge will be very slanted

Stuck on this i have unravelled it 3 times now it just looked wrong and help will be much appreciated.

evelyn

you are trying to make half of the back part here (I know your doing a front at the moment) :

50562Diagram.jpg

Advertisement