Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many Irish residents here choose Ireland for their Holiday?

• 18-08-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

How many people here resident in Ireland choose each year to take an Irish holiday as opposed to a holiday abroad?

Do you find yourself in recent years ( since the cutbacks and recession ) a person who used to go on holiday abroad but now choose to stay in Ireland?

Finally do you think encouraging people to Holiday in Ireland and keep our cash here will help the economy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Why on earth would you holiday in Ireland? It rains every single day and costs a fortune. I'd sooner have a week in the sun!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

I was looking into holidaying in Ireland this summer.
    I thought it was working out very expensive.
    I got a two week holiday to the Amalfi coast in Italy (including flights) for less than a weeks holiday in Ireland would have cost me.
    And having seen the summer here, i'm glad I was there.

And wine only cost €4 for half bottle in a restaurant. Food was much cheaper too.

Not a chance of ever even thinking about holidaying in Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

For me it's cheaper to go to Gran Canaria for a week than go to Galway for a week. When you add in better food, cheaper beer, all the sun you want and no whining it makes Gran Canaria the obvious winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I've family in America so during the summer I feck off over there for a month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't holiday in Ireland for a few reasons:

1) Experiencing a different language/culture/food is a key part of my holiday. I try to visit a different world heritage site for each holiday and have already visited all of Ireland's.

2) I want dry (not necessarily hot) weather. I am much more likely to get this abroad.

3) Ireland is too expensive. I was interested in 3 nights in Kilkenny this summer but it proved inaffordable for what I was getting.

I think that holidaying in Ireland would help the economy and I am a great believer in buying Irish if there is a cost-effective, equal quality Irish option. I am even willing to spend a little more on Irish goods.

Unfortunately I can't see any way Ireland can offer me a cost-effective quality holiday of the type I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I was looking into holidaying in Ireland this summer.
    I thought it was working out very expensive.
    I got a two week holiday to the Amalfi coast in Italy (including flights) for less than a weeks holiday in Ireland would have cost me.
    And having seen the summer here, i'm glad I was there.

And wine only cost €4 for half bottle in a restaurant. Food was much cheaper too.

Not a chance of ever even thinking about holidaying in Ireland again.

Do you have link to that holiday would love to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Got brought around the country a few times when I was younger, don't know how anyone could actually call going to galway a holiday to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I just do weekends and nights over in Ireland, Anything over three days and I am gone flying :-)

Skyskanner.ie

Hotels.com

:D

Base yourself somewhere with a train station on the coast. Everywhere there is lovely - except Naples.

Then for less than a tenner you can get to the likes of Pompei, Herculaneum, Sorento, Capri or anywhere else around there.

You can even head to Sicily for a few days in the middle if you feel like it.

It really is tourist friendly and a lovely place.

There are cheap packages available in travel agents too. But I like to stay somewhere different for a few nights during my holiday too and booking hotels yourself make this easier. I guess a travel agent could do that for you too.

Skyskanner.ie

Hotels.com

:D

Base yourself somewhere with a train station on the coast. Everywhere there is lovely - except Naples.

Then for less than a tenner you can get to the likes of Pompei, Herculaneum, Sorento, Capri or anywhere else around there.

You can even head to Sicily for a few days in the middle if you feel like it.

It really is tourist friendly and a lovely place.

There are cheap packages available in travel agents too. But I like to stay somewhere different for a few nights during my holiday too and booking hotels yourself make this easier. I guess a travel agent could do that for you too.

I don't even.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Why on earth would you holiday in Ireland? It rains every single day and costs a fortune. I'd sooner have a week in the sun!!:cool:

we holidayed at home last year and we are doing the same this year, apart from a week in england in june. there is SO MUCH to do for free here. we have great mountain walks, beaches and forests. you dont have to go to the pub when you holiday at home.
    national heritage week starts today abnd the vast majority of activities are free

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We go to Dingle each year, rent a house and make the most of the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Haven't had a holiday in over 4 years and have no intention of going on one. Not that I dislike holidaying or anything but I'm just don't care about it. I prefer chilling out at home on my days off.

In saying that I hate the thought of getting on a plane (claustrophobia) so if I did holiday it would probably be in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we are doing exactly that next week in tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Weekend in Lisdoonvarna €1000

Week in Las Vegas €900

Yeah I'll be staying at home alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Where To wrote: »

Week in Las Vegas €900

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    :confused:
    Las Vegas > Lisdoonlisdoonlisdoonlisdoonvarna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I couldn't afford a holiday this year but if it came to it I would stay at home rather than go the whole hog in Ireland. A weekend somewhere is grand. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in a person when they say how much there is to do in Ireland and the first thing that always comes out of their mouth is walking. Usually followed by something along the lines of hiking or running. Maybe cycling. Put breathing on the list while ye're at it.

Las Vegas > Lisdoonlisdoonlisdoonlisdoonvarna.

You shattered that man's sarcasm detector.

I might do weekends here as a short break but I am going abroad again at the end of the year
    would travel more if i could be more organised about booking it and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Week in Las Vegas €900

Wtf
    Shryke wrote: »
    I couldn't afford a holiday this year but if it came to it I would stay at home rather than go the whole hog in Ireland. A weekend somewhere is grand. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in a person when they say how much there is to do in Ireland and the first thing that always comes out of their mouth is walking. Usually followed by something along the lines of hiking or running. Maybe cycling. Put breathing on the list while ye're at it.
    I'm going to the Algarve this summer, so much to do there, like I'll be going out to eat, golfing, cycling, sight-seeing, and just relaxing ...... all things I can and will do in Ireland this summer.

Race week in Galway is my main holiday every year without fail. I was in America this year but only because I was there for work and took an extra week over there as a holiday. If its a choice between going abroad and the races I will chose the races everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I love Dingle!

I hate airports and airplanes so I tend to holiday in Ireland. I feel you lose 2 days of a foreign holiday in transit.

The Irish weather is certainly changeable but if you are adaptable there are loads of things to do. I was snorkelling near Barna today and it was heaven.

People give up too easy in Ireland and blame the weather - they tend to do feck all when the weather is good too!

My best holiday locations in Ireland (outside Galway) are West Cork, West Kerry, West Clare, Westport and Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I like going to countries with decent public transport systems and nice rail networks etc. When you come to Ireland its DRIVE EVERYWHERE and spend a ****eload on petrol.

Birroc wrote: »
    I love Dingle!

I hate airports and airplanes so I tend to holiday in Ireland. I feel you lose 2 days of a foreign holiday in transit.

The Irish weather is certainly changeable but if you are adaptable there are loads of things to do. I was snorkelling near Barna today and it was heaven.

People give up too easy in Ireland and blame the weather - they tend to do feck all when the weather is good too!

My best holiday locations in Ireland (outside Galway) are West Cork, West Kerry, West Clare, Westport and Sligo.

I can get to Rome by 10am. Leaving the house at 6am, the same time I leave for work at. For about €50 - €60.
    If I want to go to Killarney or Donegal its much the same.

How was the snorkeling in Barna last week?

The thing is thgat youbook your holidays from work in advance. So imagine in May you are booking your holidays for the last week in July. Thats when your holiday will be. Where are you most likely to get nice weather in during that week. Ireland or Florida, Italy, Spain etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There are beautiful places in Ireland right enough but I find it's good for my mental health to get out of this madhouse for a few weeks every year.

flash1080 wrote: »
    I'm going to the Algarve this summer, so much to do there, like I'll be going out to eat, golfing, cycling, sight-seeing, and just relaxing ...... all things I can and will do in Ireland this summer.

Listing things like eating and relaxing kind of reinforce what I'm saying. What are you going to eat in Ireland on holiday that you wouldn't get during the year? I would be surprised if there wasn't a golf course close enough to wherever you are which you can frequent year round. And you threw in cycling which I have already mentioned.
    If your post is meant as a kind of rebuttal then I wonder why you're going to the Algarve at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Having a week away from work but leaving children in creche during the day - original plans were to stay at a relatives house abroad but for various reasons that fell through - hope to holiday away next yeat though when it should be easier with out two beng 2 and 3 then as travelling on a plane with a 1 and 2 year old would be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I went to Dingle for a couple of weeks last month.

It was nothing to do with the recession or anything, it was more expensive than going abroad if anything.

Myself and the g/f just love it down there.

Shryke wrote: »
    Listing things like eating and relaxing kind of reinforce what I'm saying. What are you going to eat in Ireland on holiday that you wouldn't get during the year? I would be surprised if there wasn't a golf course close enough to wherever you are which you can frequent year round. And you threw in cycling which I have already mentioned.
    If your post is meant as a kind of rebuttal then I wonder why you're going to the Algarve at all?
    Same for both - eat in different restaurants, golf on different courses, cycle different places...

Same for both - eat in different restaurants, golf on different courses, cycle different places...

All those things are cheaper and nicer to do in one of the places though :D

All those things are cheaper and nicer to do in one of the places though :D
    Restaurants are cheaper in Portugal, golf is cheaper in Ireland.

Restaurants are cheaper in Portugal, golf is cheaper in Ireland.

You must be golfing at different place to me :D
    And I play a lot of golf.

Must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We usually do long weekends somwhere in Ireland, depending on what offers we find.

I haven't done long holidays in years, way too expensive. I can't stand hot weather, and holidays in places that aren't hot tend to be very pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Holiday abroad, Montenegro every year plus either a week in Spain (Costa del Luz) or Malta.
    Odd weekend in Norn Iron because its great value, wouldn't holiday in Ireland vastly overpriced for mediocre food, poor service and abysmal weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had to go away to the med for a wedding. But on the plus side my accommodation was 20 a night. And a full meal with wine was less than a tenner. Nice food too. The weather was a nice 30 degrees everyday. Flights were about 120 return. And like others, I used skyscanner and booking.com.

And it was €2 for a whiskey and coke. Cheaper for the local beer.

I think I could have gotten a weekend in Killarney for the same price I paid for the entire holiday.

Thing is, I've never been to Kerry although I'd like to. But I don't drive so it's a hard place to see. And it's just too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I did, the weather was amazing, A tad expensive though but the craic was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Who takes "holidays" anymore ?

People go on 'trips' nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

How was the snorkeling in Barna last week?

Not too bad if you have access to the rainfall radar! And to be honest, swimming in the rain can be quite lovely. Actually I try to swim every day (sea, lake or river) if I can, all year round. Mad I know but good for the circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

You would be looking for a very very long time to get better value golf in another country. How much golf have you played in other countries? If you think you would play a course like Druids Glen, The Heritage, Carton etc for €50 in Portugal then you're mistaken. You would do well to get inside the worst course in Portugal for €50. Even more than that the value for golf in Donegal, for example, is out of this world for the courses and accommodation and meal packages they offer.

Criticism of other things at least you can argue but let's not pretend we're not a good golf destination considering prices have actually plummeted since we got voted the world's best golf destination. Why can't we be proud of the few things we do very well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I haven't been on holiday since I was 11 but we always holidayed in Ireland and it was great! Youghal was my favourite place but we drove all over and saw everything. When you've a big family and a big car a self catering holiday in Ireland is the cheapest option (or at least it was 10 years ago)

Too poor for a foreign holiday but there's loads of places I'd like to go. I like to see Pompeii, the Pyramids, Auschwitz, the Colusseum, basically a ton of historical places. I've also heard there are underground tunnels in Glasgow where they used to put plague victims. I'd love to see that. I've seen almost everything Ireland has to offer, except the Giants Causeway. That's next on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Taking main holiday here this year but not through choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Having a week away from work but leaving children in creche - original plans were to stay at a relatives house abroad but for various reasons that fell through - hope to holiday away next yeat though when it should be easier with out two beng 2 and 3 then as travelling on a plane with a 1 and 2 year old would be tough.

Your leaving your Kids behind FFS:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hootanany wrote: »
    Your leaving your Kids behind FFS:o
    We are not leaving them behind - we are not going abroad until they are old enough - yes we are leaving them during the day in the creche for a week but that is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Looks like a ''weekend'' away is the famous choice for a break away in Ireland so far. I'd agree Ireland can be very expensive. The railway system here is horrible. In order for me to get to sligo, I gotta get a train from Louth to Dublin then Dublin to Sligo central. Then If my holiday is half hour south of sligo I gotta get a bus there and thats a lot of money if there are two of you. Not to mention food, drinks, spot of horse riding and boat trips off the coast.

Its a lot of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Same - heading next weekend, me hubbie and dogs - love it down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I agree, and you don't even have to go far to get better value - myself and the OH went to Edinburgh for 4 nights last summer; travel and accom came to 150 each, altogether (flights + buses + 4 nights hotel for 2 people = 300€). Meanwhile here that might get you the hotel, as long as it wasnt too swanky! And then it was cheaper there too for things like eating out too - ate 3 courses in a gorgeous italian restaurant in Grassmarket for about 15 pound each, as opposed to about 30 over here.

As others have said here, I'd be on for weekend breaks in ireland, but the main reason for that is because with the shorter travelling time it just eats up less time of your weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

We just could not afford to holiday in Ireland as it is too expensive. This year we holidayed in Malta; flights - €300, apartment for 2 weeks - €390, bus travel for a week - €12, evening meal - average less than €10, pint - €1, not to mention two weeks of glorious sunshine. Beats Ireland anyday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement