Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many Irish residents here choose Ireland for their Holiday?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No can do unfortunately.

On the first decent sunny day this summer there was a full on riot on the beach in Sandycove.

3 Ambulances
    Multiple overwhelmed police
    Tons of knackers running amok.

Not my idea of a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Raisins wrote: »
    You would be looking for a very very long time to get better value golf in another country. How much golf have you played in other countries? If you think you would play a course like Druids Glen, The Heritage, Carton etc for €50 in Portugal then you're mistaken. You would do well to get inside the worst course in Portugal for €50. Even more than that the value for golf in Donegal, for example, is out of this world for the courses and accommodation and meal packages they offer.

Criticism of other things at least you can argue but let's not pretend we're not a good golf destination considering prices have actually plummeted since we got voted the world's best golf destination. Why can't we be proud of the few things we do very well?

Somewhere between 5 and 10 weekends a year for the last 10 years or so.
    Mostly the Algarve, but UK and a few other nice golf destinations.

And I'm still saying Portugal is better than Ireland for golf. You dont have to agree with me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Onesimus wrote: »
    Finally do you think encouraging people to Holiday in Ireland and keep our cash here will help the economy?

To hell with cash in the economy, I'm trying to keep cash in my pocket. Despite the depths of a continuing recession, this country remains ridiculously overpriced. Shocking to think that people can holiday abroad and make a saving, when compared to a having a holiday at home. It looks like latent greed and sleveen bástardism is very much alive and well in austerity Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

We try and get away from Ireland for a week or two every year. Unless you're travelling with kids in Ireland and self-catering, you're unlikely to save money by taking a holiday here. Combine that with the unreliable weather, and the fact that it's good to get a complete change of scene for a week or two and it's a no-brainer (no Irish news for a fortnight - bliss!). That said, if I'm going away for 2 or 3 nights, you can get good weekend deals in a lot of Irish hotels. I hate having to deal with the hassle of the airport just for two nights away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Brought the family to Drogheda for a couple of days, will head off for a few days again in October, Holidayed in Ireland for the last few years, can't afford anything else. I found great value when you shop around and it depends what you are looking for

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ireland can be as expensive as you make it.You can choose to eat out all the time or you can do a certain amount of self catering.Toastie, coffee and soup for ten euro, hard to beat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Our last 4 family holidays abroad in the sun ie, 10 days ( twice ) and 14 days ( twice ) were 50% ( if not more ) of what a similar holiday ,with no guarantees of sun would cost in Ireland .Eating and drinking out in most places would be twice the price and quickly burn a hole in your pocket . There's just no comparison price wise on what's available with foreign package holidays abroad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ireland can be as expensive as you make it.You can choose to eat out all the time or you can do a certain amount of self catering.Toastie, coffee and soup for ten euro, hard to beat!

Unfortunately it seems that pretty much all types of accommodation can be found cheaper for a similar standard abroad. Whether you want a hostel or a 5 star hotel it is very likely more expensive here.

I actually self-cater on most of my holidays, but again, this is inevitably cheaper abroad.

I just don't see how anyone can find holidaying in Ireland cheaper unless they are staying in a friend's house or whatever and saving on accommodation costs. I totally understand that some people love holidaying here and that Ireland has a lot to offer for certain types of holidays and that it can certainly be less hassle to stay here and avoid flying with kids. But I really can't see how things can work out cheaper in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love to visit coastal Cork and Kerry. God's own country.

• Advertisement

I love to visit coastal Cork and Kerry. God's own country.
    Beautiful spots no doubt but there must be thousands of places on earth that could also use that quote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

We go to Dingle each year, rent a house and make the most of the weather.

You'll struggle to find a more beautiful place - either in Ireland or abroad!

Combined with Dún Chaoin, Ballyferriter's beaches, the Blasket Islands and a nice drop of sunshine, it's a little slice of heaven! :)

West Cork and Kerry are certainly very beautiful in the right weather - spent most of my childhood summers down there and have great memories.

It's a long time ago now but as a child,I remember spending a weeks family holiday in a caravan down in Kilmuckridge Co Wexford and apart from the lovely beach and the nice people we met , what sticks out for me is the date ''July 20 1969 '' on some family photos that week ...the day the men landed on the moon :) Of course I have been around parts of Ireland many times since and a week / 3 days holiday in Dublin is a regular thing for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

West Cork and Kerry are certainly very beautiful in the right weather - spent most of my childhood summers down there and have great memories.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

I live in England so holidays in Ireland feel like holidays in a way that they probably wouldn't if I was back home. Have several every year in Antrim, Dublin, Galway and Clare and would struggle without them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Tool_ wrote: »
    I live in England so holidays in Ireland feel like holidays in a way that they probably wouldn't if I was back home. Have several every year in Antrim, Dublin, Galway and Clare and would struggle without them.
    +1. I'm in the same situation, I used to fly home every second Friday but I took a different job so now it's like once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I'm going to Electric Picnic for my holliers this year...

Does Co Laoise count as an Irish holiday destination I wonder?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I love holidays in ireland. There's great value to be had in places.
    I'd rather a week in connamara or donegal than a week in costa del celtic jersey.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd rather a week in connamara or donegal than a week in costa del celtic jersey.

So would I - but it's not like Ballymun in the Sun is the only option. :confused:

So would I - but it's not like Ballymun in the Sun is the only option. :confused:

I know, but I know for cheap holidays abroad it's usually the case.
    TheTurk1972 mentioned Amalfi coast for instance, if you can get there for cheap, it's a savage place. Although just checked, the 3 star hotel (probably 2 by irelands standards) I stayed in is over 3 times the price of a 2 bedroom house I rented in the west for a week in october! You'd have to get a good deal somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Ireland is way too over priced for me to holiday here.

Having said that, this is just one of many reasons why I choose to holiday abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Clareboy wrote: »
    We just could not afford to holiday in Ireland as it is too expensive. This year we holidayed in Malta; flights - €300, apartment for 2 weeks - €390, bus travel for a week - €12, evening meal - average less than €10, pint - €1, not to mention two weeks of glorious sunshine. Beats Ireland anyday!
    I cry bull. Where in malta serves beer less than 2.50? Food is slightly cheaper but nothing worth writing home about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I holidayed in Ireland this year and it was fantastic. I will definitely be doing more of that in future. It actually cost me more (petrol and accommodation etc) as I would have had free accommodation abroad but it was well worth it. In the last 10 years I have done the USA, Australia, much of Europe (at least once or twice a year), even a stint in the middle east etc, so choosing to stay in Ireland this time was based on preference and the need for a change & not the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Went on holidays in Ireland this year because I've kids. Got a nice hotel with kids activities that did a kids disco every night where we could relax at the bar while the kids ran around with all the other kids.

Will go away next year for a change but when you think of it, when you have kids and go to Spain or the like - what's going to keep them amused at night when you're in your apartment block?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've spent holidays in Ireland 3 times in the last 15 years, and I swear I'm never doing it again. Far too expensive, the free things are normally outdoors and the outdoors is normally miserable. A 2 week break in Killarney costs upwards of 1000 euro. 2 weeks to Corfu is 850 euro incl. flights, accom and bus transfer.

I cry bull. Where in malta serves beer less than 2.50? Food is slightly cheaper but nothing worth writing home about.

I stayed in St Julians and you'd easily get a beer for €2 or less. A round of vodka and coke and a pint was less than a fiver. Most of the bars were shítholes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Morlar wrote: »
    I holidayed in Ireland this year and it was fantastic. I will definitely be doing more of that in future. It actually cost me more (petrol and accommodation etc) as I would have had free accommodation abroad but it was well worth it. In the last 10 years I have done the USA, Australia, much of Europe (at least once or twice a year), even a stint in the middle east etc, so choosing to stay in Ireland this time was based on preference and the need for a change & not the economy.

A perfectly balanced comment.

I like the way you comment on the cost as being possibly higher than going abroad but expressed that you thought it was worth it therefore showing you felt it was good value. I however feel the country does not offer good value holidays that suit me. This just shows the huge differences people have when planning a holiday and what they want out of it.

Ireland is a wonderful country and enjoy small breaks around the country but would not consider spending my annual leave here and will not be encouraged to do so for any economic reason.

And I must say, Ireland is a fantastic golfing location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

The Hole in the Wall
    Shaftsbury Arms
    Lady Di
    Times Sq.

Just 4 within 200 metres that I can think of.

You must be eating in the tourist traps. Main course in Wagamma = €8
    Pizza in restaurant = €6

Advertisement