Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives choice 2012/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Neeson wrote: »
    Jaysus. How many languages can you speak?

Just about speak English most days, but you can take entry level languages here
    http://www.ucd.ie/alc/flm/undergrad/choosealanguage/

Beginners stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Maldesu wrote: »
    Just about speak English most days, but you can take entry level languages here
    http://www.ucd.ie/alc/flm/undergrad/choosealanguage/

Beginners stuff.

Oh. I wouldn't fancy doing languages. Probably time-consuming.

Are there any Level 0 modules at all?

It's my last resort option.

I've yet to see a Level 0 module. I figure they've kicked them since

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Just wondering what are good Electives to take if one is starting Engineering?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

DocToBe wrote: »
    The module Introduction to Information and Social Computing (IS10010) sounds almost too good to be true! Has anyone ever done this?

I haven't done that one, but in my experience these modules really are as good as they sound. I've done Web Publishing (it's for Arts students so if you're from a more computery background you should find it okay) and I did Social Computing & Media - it was 20% attendance, 20% for an online multiple choice quiz which you could take as many times as you wanted within an hour & it told you which Qs you got wrong and 60% for a Mash up or App, we were able to use an app builder so you didn't need coding or anything.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Do you know what kind you're most interested in? The Robotics one which is an Engineering module is fun, you basically get to build & program a robot & then have a competition against everyone else at the end.

Contemporary Irish Culture and Society (SOC10030) is handy enough.

30% for seminar attendance and a page written for a topic for each seminar.
    70% for a 2000 word essay. (titles included Celtic Tiger bullsh1t and all that)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Muir wrote: »
    I recommend modules from the school of information & library studies, the module codes start with IS. Many of them don't have loads of lectures & stuff so can be easier to fit into timetable.
    Ah don't forget you'll be bored to tears, that is if you can stay awake!!! Don't do it !!!

amtaxi wrote: »
    Ah don't forget you'll be bored to tears, that is if you can stay awake!!! Don't do it !!!

I actually found them less boring than other electives/core modules! What did you take?

Only bad point is they are on at 9am usually.

• Advertisement

Only bad point is they are on at 9am usually.

Yep, I'd suffer the boredom if it was later on though. I mean one of them has the whole exam online!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Hey guys,

Anybody done ECON30150 (International Money & Banking) before? I'm thinking of taking it as an elective this year. Looks like it's a bundle of fun!

Any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Yuugib wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Anybody done ECON30150 (International Money & Banking) before? I'm thinking of taking it as an elective this year. Looks like it's a bundle of fun!

Any feedback?

It's one of my options and I'll be taking it too, haven't heard any bad reports from the year above me anyway!

If anyone has any first hand experience I'd be interested in hearing too!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

misslt wrote: »
    It's one of my options and I'll be taking it too, haven't heard any bad reports from the year above me anyway!

Hey!

Do you know if the class is big? It only had 2 spaces left when I was registering for it.

Also, if I remember correctly, you're going in 4th year BAFS? Have you heard of any people doing Monte Carlo last year or picking up this year? I wonder what's that like...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Canteloupey

Thanks

I don't know how easy/hard it is or anything but this module looks like great fun! You:

1. Get to make a robot
    2. Then the robots play rugby
    3. If you win, you get a cash prize

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.show_module?p_subj=EEEN&p_crse=10020&p_term_code=201200&p_return_url=&p_website_mode=CONTINUINGCONTINUING&p_semester=2

http://roborugby.ucd.ie/contest.html

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Anyone have any experience/knowledge of the following modules??

Economics of Sport (SMGT20030)
    Food Diet and Health II - Making Healthy Food Choices (FDSC20110)
    Developing Future Leaders (BMGT20100)
    Computer Science for Engineers II (COMP20080)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

For anyone interested in History I'd recommend European Civilizations. It focuses on the dictatorships of Lenin, Stalin, Franco, Hitler and Mussolini. Extremely interesting, the lecturer is very good and the assignments are easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cinna_man

Thanks

I did the Biosystems Design Project when I was in first year eng. No exam, only an hour a week and very easy to get a good result. Also the possibility of a cash prize :).

You have to write up a few words each week and do a little work outside lecture time, but overall Its one of better electives i've done.

Energy challenges is another Engineering elective that has cash prizes. You do a group poster & presentation. there is an exam too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Yuugib wrote: »
    misslt wrote: »

Hey!

Do you know if the class is big? It only had 2 spaces left when I was registering for it.

Also, if I remember correctly, you're going in 4th year BAFS? Have you heard of any people doing Monte Carlo last year or picking up this year? I wonder what's that like...

Aargh...I think they keep places over for people who have it as an option which could be freed up when we register (we can't until 3rd Sept until our work placement results are in)!

Yep I'm going into 4th year BAFS but I don't know of anyone who took that, it's the only class on a Friday for 4th years so most people avoid it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Anybody done IS10040 Information Society Papyrus?

Any feedback? I see there's a video essay....what's that about?

Having serious trouble finding an elective. Have this one down but might change it.

So what did you all pick?

Brain and Behavior in Psy and Earth and Humanity in Geol for me. Will anyone be joining me? I'm highly amused though - in the Psy module there are 86 place and 112 people have applied. Geology one, 285 places.... 12 applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

So what did you all pick?

Brain and Behavior in Psy and Earth and Humanity in Geol for me. Will anyone be joining me? I'm highly amused though - in the Psy module there are 86 place and 112 people have applied. Geology one, 285 places.... 12 applied.

How do you see how many applied?

I get emails about it. Last time I got one, Geology gained 1 more, but Psychology went up to 121. From what I can tell this is automated at this point. Feck it. 86 places yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I didn't get any emails about my electives saying how many applied or how many places. Is this a good or bad sign? Also any way to check it?

Think its a good sign. I'm getting them because there are more people applying to the elective than there are places. Gone from 97 people to 127.

Hope so. I did geology elective last year, was plenty of spaces left I can't imagine it filling up

I'll be set with Geology. Over 200 spots on it. Damned popular Psychology is the problem.

Hope you get it so. I got none of mine in first year, but got both last year, so hopefully I'll be lucky again

• Advertisement

I've a couple of backups but these would suit me better time wise. I'll probably get another email tomorrow saying more people joined the list. :(

Advertisement