Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 16's, I.D required

Options
  • 18-08-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

My daughter is going to the Paramore gig in Belfast tomorrow and the web site says Over 16's only, I.D required.
    She is 16 so no problem there but what would pass as i.d. the web site give no details that i can see of the types accepted, she has no passport or drivers license yet,
    she could take here birth cert or would a photo copy do as i would hate for her to lose the original.
    Do they actually check i.d or is it just something they have to say ?
    is there any chance she could be turned away ?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

does she have a school ID? saw some other gig notice recently that had that as valid ID.
    as for checking ID, often they don't at gigs, but it's not completely unlikely that they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Thanks ghostdancer,
    she has nothing only her birth cert, i'm a bit worried about her getting refused with a copy, don't really want her to take the original in case it gets lost and anyway it's not a photo i.d.
    what i.d do 16 year olds have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I've been to loads of those gigs before and they have never asked fror I.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

16yo's have passports OP.

ED E wrote: »
    16yo's have passports OP.
    some do. most don't.

• Advertisement

some do. most don't.

I would have sid most 16 yo have a passport imo anyone without a passport that can legally have one is just a bit strange!

Mr.S wrote: »
    I know lots of people (over the age of 18) that don't have passports, just because they don't travel outside of Ireland, so why fork out ~€80?

Not strange at all that a 16 year old doesn't have a passport!

See not travelling outside of Ireland for me is also strange :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    :confused: OP said his child doesn't have one....

I was at the gig last night and didn't see them checking ID, but no one looked really young.

I was replying to OP when he asked what ID 16 yo's have. I know myself and all my mates had a passport at 16, and AFAIK its only €45 for kids.

IMO the vast majority would have one, I've had one since i was 5 or something.

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I would have sid most 16 yo have a passport imo anyone without a passport that can legally have one is just a bit strange!
    well when i was a teenager, pretty much everyone my age was still on their parent's passport until they needed to travel without them using their own.
    and not many 16 year olds would be travelling internationally on their own, so no reason whatsoever to get your own.

i'd say paying for one for a child when they don't need one is far stranger, let alone a 16 year old wanting to get one because they legally can. i had far better things to be worrying about when i was a kid than getting my own passport...

well when i was a teenager, pretty much everyone my age was still on their parent's passport until they needed to travel without them using their own.
    and not many 16 year olds would be travelling internationally on their own, so no reason whatsoever to get your own.

i'd say paying for one for a child when they don't need one is far stranger, let alone a 16 year old wanting to get one because they legally can. i had far better things to be worrying about when i was a kid than getting my own passport...

Well now everyone needs their own passport to travel, even newborns and there needed for far more things than just international travel-such as photo ID.

Clearly times have changed since though like your bog standard school trip now usually involves some sort of aviation travel like when I was 14 (19 now) I went to London with my school for 4 days and when I was 16 I went on a History trip to Russia and regularly used to go away with friends to Spain etc.

but yeah in relation to OP get your daughter to bring a copy of her birth cert , she most likely wont be asked for anything anyway though !

• Advertisement

@aaabbbb

Not everyone can afford a passport and if your not planning on leaving the country, eg. can't afford holidays why would you waist your money on a passport, It was hard enough to afford to let her go to the gig in the first place with the travel ect. but it was a late birthday present.

not everyone is strange because they don't have the means to buy the passport let alone the holiday!

anyway she went to the gig with her birth cert. and it was fine, nobody even checked anyones I.D.

Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Was there alcohol on sale at the gig (with 18 or over ID) or none at all?

No alcohol on sale at the gig, it was just she had not been to a gig before and didn't know what to expect, as it was in Belfast I just wanted to know about the I.D as it would have been awfully disappointing for her to be refused entry after traveling up from Galway, anyway she had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It sounds like it was a 16s gig rather than an all ages gig to conform with conditions to do with insurance rather than the organisers ever going to be strict on ID for 16 year olds.

I hope your daughter enjoyed the gig.

@Morf

thanks very much Morf, she did enjoy it very much indeed :)

Advertisement