Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 yr old cat has started to urinate inside

• 18-08-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

My 7 yr old tom cat (neutered) has recently started to urinate on one of the sitting room chairs and in the corner of the sittingroom at night.

floor is wooden and chair is non absorbant thank god.

But whats going on? He has always slept inside and even if I left him a litter tray he would wait till morning to go out rather than use it, so I havnt used a litter tray for him in years. ( apart from when we move house and I put him on lockdown!)

We have had a puppy since Christmas and they are tolerating eachother. Could this be his way of showing me how much he appreciates the company! ;)

I really don`t want to make him sleep outside or go down the route of the dreaded litter tray on a full time basis.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

In my opinion it may be one of two things. Either your cat has developed some urinary tract infection or else he is stressed by the arrival of the puppy. Cats change their behaviour when they are stressed. But I would get him checked out with a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Also I would consider leaving a litter tray there for the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Thanks angeline, Ive rooted out the tray, and will get him into the vet monday morn. When I think about it now he has been acting strangely as in looking to go in and out of the house way more than usual- I thought he was just acting up- Must be urinary tract infection!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Our male developed a bit of a habit in peeing on the window sill in the living room. Fecker destroyed the roller blind with urine and we had to get a new blind.

I started spraying the area with "Get Off" once in the morning and last thing at night but he would still have a crafty pee there the odd time.
    We just have to lock him out of the living room at night. It's an incredibly hard habit to break and even if they are no longer stressed or ill, they'll keep using the same spot unless you spray it with a deterring agent every day. :(

EDIT: we reckon his stress was caused by neighbouring cats using the flower bed under the window as their communal toilet. also, we had a baby two months ago so he's not getting as much attention from his "mummy" as he used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

My cat had the same problem although he was 18 when it started. But it was just after he got a general anaesthetic so we could get rid of the mats in his fur. He would pee esp on bags and behind the couch.We got a litter tray thinking he wouldn't use it but he did. Was still very hard to see him like that and so stressed out.

I'm not sure if it was the anaesthetic or just the stress of the vets and staying there for the day that brought it on. We got a dog too when he was about 9 and we didn't have that problem. He was annoyed with my mum for a while and acted strangely. Is your cat acting strange with you except for the peeing problem? I'd say its a urinary problem if he's not. sorry haven't been any help, just know how upsetting it is to see them like that! hope he gets better soon!

tip: dont leave any paper bags with anything in them on the floor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Same thing happened to my 9 year old female last year, she usually sleeps in my bedroom at night with the door closed, this has never been a problem as she usually sleeps through the night or meows to be let out the window if she has to go to the toilet. She began peeing in one corner of the room during the night which I found very strange because she was always so clean.

I took her to the vet and we got a course of antibiotics for a UTI which cleared it right up and we haven't had an issue since. I always think its best to get it looked at ASAP because what might only be a short term behaviour can turn into habit in a short space of time.

Advertisement