Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plasterboard wall filler

• 18-08-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I've got a bit of damage in a plasterboard wall where a curtain rail was yanked out taking chunks with it. Is it possible to fill the wall and mount a new curtain rail on the same spot or will I have to move the screw holes to another area? If so, can anyone recommend a good filler to use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How big is tha damage?

Best if would be to cut square and put a new piece in, but not everyone would have plasterboard handy. You would be better to drill into the block and fix th curtain rail that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

curtian poles a bit of a night sometimes, what i would do and have done some times is fix a lenght of skirting board across the wall at celing hight and paint it and then hang the curtian pole and brackrts, no more damage walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Davy wrote: »
    How big is tha damage?

Best if would be to cut square and put a new piece in, but not everyone would have plasterboard handy. You would be better to drill into the block and fix th curtain rail that way.
    Drilling to the brick is the kind of job I'm trying to avoid :-) I could move the rack but it's in the perfect position so I'd prefer to fill it and remount with decent Raul plugs. Cutting a new piece of plasterboard is a good idea though. I presume there's specific filler or glue for holding it in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Drilling to the brick is the kind of job I'm trying to avoid :-) I could move the rack but it's in the perfect position so I'd prefer to fill it and remount with decent Raul plugs. Cutting a new piece of plasterboard is a good idea though. I presume there's specific filler or glue for holding it in place?

Best way is put some timber behind it, and screw through the uncut part into the timber holding the timber in place and then screw the new piece on the timber. The timber has to be wider than the hole obviously. You could then mount the curtain rail to the timber but would be better job to drill into the block

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Frame fixers into the brickwork itself...and the pole and curtains will never come down.;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If its an exterior wall more than likely there is wooden battens in there, with insulation in between them. You'll normally find a wooden baton running up each of the window, as this is what the plaster board is fixed to. Just screw straight into the wood.

Failing that you'll have to drill into the brick, as the Paddy says.

Anything else you do, your relying on the plaster board to take the full weight of the curtains + any force on them. Plaster board is really just two thin bits of cardboard with about 12mm of chalk in-between them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Fill the holes in the plasterboard with some sand/cement render or fresh plaster/bonding.

Even "deep fill" filler will do the job nicely.

Smooth it off flush with the existing plasterboard and skim.

Then do what I posted and showed you above...frame fixers into the concrete wall behind.

Use an 8mm masonary bit (like in the pic above) and dril back through the

This way you can mount the curtain pole and curtains back in the original position,but this time you have the security of a solid concrete wall to hold the curtains aswell.

Simples.:)

Advertisement