Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

peace be with you

• 18-08-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

I hate when I hear this come during mass. Just I hate not knowing where peoples hands have been.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cena wrote: »
    I hate when I hear this come during mass. Just I hate not knowing where peoples hands have been.

Could be worse, others might be wondering where you have been! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

They've stopped doing this in a lot of the masses that I have been to - over the last couple of years…they used bird flu as the excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...but you know where they've been - wiping their ass, scratching their balls, seeing what fluid is being ejected from their lady parts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Just ignore everyone. Stare into nothingness and leave them hanging. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Give yourself an aul' scratch before Mass. Then you're ahead of the posse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I just pretend to have no hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

girl2 wrote: »
    They've stopped doing this in a lot of the masses that I have been to - over the last couple of years…they used bird flu as the excuse.

Birds don't have hands.Do they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I take it a Holiday in france would not be your thing then? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

could be a lot worse. you could be catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Peace be with you

and also with yore ma you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Stop going to mass - problem solved.

There's a simple solution.

Have something in your hand so they can't shake it.
    Hold a bottle of beer or a condom. That should work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

girl2 wrote: »

Yes they don't know what kind of birds you've been handling.

I slip on a pair of latex gloves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Or just place your erect penis in their hands when they turn around. They wont see that one coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think mass in general is ridiculous not just wishing complete strangers peace simply because a priest tells you too. The whole rigmarole of mass is outdated and absurd and for that reason I refuse to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I prefer to say "pleased to meet you". No one notices the difference and its much less awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sniff their fingers first, give them a little lick if you're still unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fist bumps ftw

Or just place your erect penis in their hands when they turn around. They wont see that one coming.

They just might! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"and may the force be with you" do it for bewilderment lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Anyone else's fingers burn when they put it in the holy water?

Anyone else's fingers burn when they put it in the holy water?

Thats nothing - my son Damien can't even make his way into the church!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fist bumps are the future. you can't have a limp fist bump, you can hold a phone or similar while fist bumping, sweaty hands aren't a problem, and the problem of hygiene in general isn't as bad.

Fisting is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Turn to them and say "Sorry, me no speaky english". Might somehow work to your advantage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Fisting is great

LMAO:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's the only bit of mass I liked, seemed very pleasant. All the rigmarole hopping up and down for various bits was ridiculous however, it was basically line dancing for 80 year olds.

Turn to them and say "Next stop, Syphilis clinic". Might somehow work better to your advantage?
    Corrected that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I thought that everybody disinfects their hands with holy water upon entering the church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

hmmm wrote: »
    It's the only bit of mass I liked, seemed very pleasant. All the rigmarole hopping up and down for various bits was ridiculous however, it was basically line dancing for 80 year olds.

Skipping the communion queue so you could queue up again.

At one family christening my cousin managed to get 3 communions before his mother noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is this just a mass thing, OP, or general?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

People still go to mass in 2012?

****in' hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Just ignore everyone. Stare into nothingness and leave them hanging. :pac:

This! it's not because im worried about where their hands have been, It's just really awkward shaking hands in church, I never know where to look:pac: Always end up staring ahead:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Is this just a mass thing, OP, or general?

More mass time than general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This! it's not because im worried about where their hands have been, It's just really awkward shaking hands in church, I never know where to look:pac: Always end up staring ahead:pac:

Imagine what they're thinking when looking at a Vicar in a tutu though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've been to an Anglican church in england where they hug. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

More mass time than general

Interesting. I would have thought the other way round - after all, cleanliness is next to godliness.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I find not going at all works well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

One of the least objectionable parts of mass imo. It's a nice sentiment. Btw OP, there's a good chance that your toothbrush would test positive for fecal matter. Shaking hands with your neighbours once a week is the least of your worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Did you ever notice that if you hold out your wrist to someone and say "Smell this", they will, but if you hold out two fingers and say "Smell this", they back away?
    Problem solved-rub your two fingers on your wrist and get them to smell.
    Jimeoin at his finest but oh so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 latte2010

Owen_S wrote: »
    I thought that everybody disinfects their hands with holy water upon entering the church?
    Sure god only knows whats in that holy water. All the bums/alcos hang around outside the church in my town. Definitely would'nt be relying on that water to disinfect my hands.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

latte2010 wrote: »
    Sure god only knows whats in that holy water. All the bums/alcos hang around outside the church in my town. Definitely would'nt be relying on that water to disinfect my hands.:D
    They've stopped filling the fonts in some churches with holy water because the Junkies have been known to clean their needles in it .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love the shaky hands bit! Give a big smile and a shake :) Nice and friendly

I try see how many I get can get, then try beat it the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A removal at a funeral home is the worst. Shaking hands with countless dirty feckers.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Me ma hated the hand shaking bit after one of the feckers dipped her handbag and stole her purse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nodin wrote: »
    ...but you know where they've been - wiping their ass, scratching their balls, seeing what fluid is being ejected from their lady parts....

.. mixed with a quick dip of holy water and a hint of snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

I hate not knowing

'Never bothered you before!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fr.Buzz

Was at mass this Easter where a dirty auld fella spat on himself twice!!..No lie.. 2 big dirty greeners...He then continued to rub them into his trousers using his hands!!...Nearly pissed myself not trying to laugh:D...Then it occurred to me I had to shake hands with this dirty auld fella!!:eek:..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I find the shaking hands part much less gross than the 'thirty people drink wine out of the same cup' part. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement