Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats Going Up Under the Bonnet

• 18-08-2012 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have a bit of a funny one. We recently got a couple of cats and they have a nasty habit of going under the car and crawling into the engine space where its really warm.

It's getting very annoying having to remember having to check before every journey.

I've been told things like beep the horn when starting the car, but sometimes if I'm in rush I forget completely.

Anyone come up with a way of stopping them? Is there any sort of a spray or anything you can get? Or any other way to deter them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It'll get worse over the winter but there's nothing you can do other than keep them indoors or build them a secure aviary type structure to keep them safe.
    So many cats get mangled to death that way it's a horrible way to go beeping the horn and shooing them away when they go near the car can help but cats love heat.
    Are they allowed in the house? If so maybe making up a cosy corner for them or a cat tower and using a snugglesafe heat pad (even in summer during the day) to encourage them to go to that warm spot instead. Cats like cardboard boxes and covered hidey bed (or letting them sleep in the hotpress) can help never them move to somewhere safer but deffo keep checking under the car and make it a habit. Neighbours cat went under and was horribly mangled to death when they drove off..not a nice way to go :-( Sometimes neighbours cats or stray cats will do the same in winter poor things, dog knows how many die that way or are injured every year they're so sneaky and quiet it's hard to know if they've hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Give a good bang or two on the bonnet before you get in, just try and get into a habit of doing it. Sometimes beeping the horn won't always be possible if it's late at night or early morning. Can't think of any other alternative, any citrus sprays or such would quickly wear off I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I try and make a habit in the winter of knocking in the bonnet before I get in the car.

It's something I'm always worried about happening. Cos without opening the bonnet everytime you just don't know if anythings in there.

Advertisement