Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Important Is A Persons Salary To You In A Relationship??

• 18-08-2012 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

How important is a persons education and in particular their salary (or financial security) in a relationship to you? Assuming of course a more educated a person is the more financial stable they might be (obviously I realise thats not always the case!).

But does financial stability to you mean a lot in a relationship, you find a person you love, but who's constantly on the dole or a person who's a highly qualified doctor/dentist/laywer? Does it have a bearing?

Is financial security important when it comes to do dating someone? Almost to a point is a person who very financially sound and highly qualified more attractive than an identical person who is not??

How Important Is A Persons Salary To You In A Relationship? 35 votes

Yes a persons salary is very important to me when it comes to a relationship
    0% 0 votes
    Its important to certain extent, the person must be earning around the same as me
    20% 7 votes
    I would prefer a person with a higher salary, but its not a dealbreaker
    40% 14 votes
    Its not relevant in the slightest and its not something I ever look at
    40% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Wouldnt be important to me, If you love someone, You love someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Neither their education nor their salary are important to me.

What they're like as a person, fundamentally, is important.
    That, and if they're good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wouldn't make a difference to me, Its what makes them from the inside that counts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

So you met a girl last night who is beneath you and as soon as the hangover is over you poll AH to see if you should met her again. For shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I find people with money are ignorant fools who think they are better than everyone, so I try to avoid their types! You know to avoid them as if they are wealthy they let you know about it.

Of course not every wealthy person is like this before all the elite here jump on their high horses and direct their butlers to berate me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Neither their education nor their salary are important to me.

What they're like as a person, fundamentally, is important.
    That, and if they're good looking.

You shall find your Queen of Moo someday. And have many Moo children.

I'd hope that they would be able to support themselves. As regards being rich or education, wouldn't really matter. So long as they are funny, intelligent, and physically fit, then it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It is irrelevant, I'd only like their salary to be sufficient enough that they don't see me as some sort of cash cow for their benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Very. I would hate to have to stoop as low as indulging in predrinks or not afford friends a decent wedding present t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be important to me, If you love someone, You love someone :D

I agree with this, however I would have a problem with someone who didn't want to work.

Salary is unimportant and I wouldn't have a problem with someone being genuinely unemployed. In fact, someone on a higher salary would probably have a more stressful job (not always, I know) and may have less free time. I don't see the point in earning a large salary if it affects your work/life balance.

A person and their personal attributes attract you, valuing someone on their salary is shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

So what about a person who's constantly on the dole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Wouldn't matter a damn to me at all.
    I have a family and a mortgage and that, so I would obviously like to have some sort of financial stability, but it's not something I'd consider that important in the grand scheme of things.
    I do prefer people to have a brain in their head! - Someone who can think for themselves - Someone who reads up on things and educates themselves.
    An actual third degree education isn't so important though.
    Motivation and drive in terms of a career aren't important to me, but life goals and aspirations are important.

DColeman wrote: »
    By choice - no way
    By circumstance - not a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Oh it would, I want to meet a woman who earns 100,000 plus and live the dream as a house husband.

Get up at 11 put my bets on watch the races over a few pints with the mates, come home and order the Chinese and give her a list of the housework that needs doing.

PS No kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DColeman wrote: »

They'd need to work very hard in other areas to make up for it!

Very. I would hate to have to stoop as low as indulging in predrinks or not afford friends a decent wedding present t.

But you could always start a thread about it;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Very important.

Dating a pov is a big no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was out last year and I got talking to a rather attractive foreigner at the bar, she asked do you work and I said yeas, at what, I told her and she said that will do and she wrapped her arms around me. It was that straight forward and simple.

The thing is I wasn't really chatting her up, just chatting, I wasn't really interested in her that way, so nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Colmustard wrote: »
    Oh it would, I want to meet a woman who earns 100,000 plus and live the dream as a house husband.

Get up at 11 put my bets on watch the races over a few pints with the mates, come home and order the Chinese and give her a list of the housework that needs doing.

PS No kids.

You sound like me dream man!marry me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Halfpan

It wouldn't bother me to be honest. Now if a girl was sitting around doing nothing and had no intention of looking for work, that might throw me off a bit. How much money a girl has, or how well educated she is wouldn't come in to play though so long as I get along with her.

• Advertisement

blacklilly wrote: »

What is your income.

I left out I promise you enough loving that I want. It will also have to be an open relationship for me so I can have affairs with your sisters and the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

not at all.

I'd prefer ambition wasn't diverting energy away from sex drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I care more about the level of belly rubs on offer

What is your income.

I left out I promise you enough loving that I want. It will also have to be an open relationship for me so I can have affairs with your sisters and the neighbours.

My income will sustain your boozing lifestyle and pay for my work related costs easily.
    I've no sister but my mum is a bit of alright and I'd say she'll love you.
    How much loving do you usually want?

My income will sustain your boozing lifestyle and pay for my work related costs easily.
    I've no sister but my mum is a bit of alright and I'd say she'll love you.
    How much loving do you usually want?

I will settle for twice a day, but once with you and off course I will visit your mother.

Only twice a day?

Only twice a day?

Afraid so, there will be a lot of booze in the system. But to compensate I will only take 50% of your salary for pocket money I am sure you will have a bit left for yourself after you pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Halfpan wrote: »
    It wouldn't bother me to be honest. Now if a girl was sitting around doing nothing and had no intention of looking for work, that might throw me off a bit. How much money a girl has, or how well educated she is wouldn't come in to play though so long as I get along with her.

Definitely my attitude - she would need to be working and independent in her own right.

Ah no, take 65% at least, I'm low maintenance with a high maintenance look plus I just want to make you happy. The only thing I'll ask of you in that you never leave the toilet seat up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lippy C

You could have partner that did not earn much but you could have great silly/real conversation with...money does'nt mean everything it helps but not basis of relationship...

Ah no, take 65% at least, I'm low maintenance with a high maintenance look plus I just want to make you happy. The only thing I'll ask of you in that you never leave the toilet seat up
    :D
    LOL
    Ahhh women you's are so demanding.

I kid you not I actually work with a Vietnamese girl who has 2 jobs and supports a husband who has never worked.

Yeah he hit the jackpot, I jest, a total waster, it seems to be a cultural thing that she will never leave him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Ambition is very important to me.

:D
    LOL
    Ahhh women you's are so demanding.

I kid you not I actually work with a Vietnamese girl who has 2 jobs and supports a husband who has never worked.

Yeah he hit the jackpot, I jest, a total waster, it seems to be a cultural thing that she will never leave him.

Ahhhhh:( I thought you were being serious.

That's pretty sad but then again we all know women who are married to rich men and everything is done for them. Doesn't matter how ugly or how lacking in the personality department you are, if you're a filthy rich man, a model will fall in love with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Salary is not something I would consider in a partner. Like others though, I am not interested in somebody who sees the dole as a career choice or is not willing to upskill/retrain to get off it. The only non-workers I could see myself with would be someone very rich (for whatever reason) who can support themself without work, or a full-time parent.

Being very honest I would be extremely reluctant to get into a serious partnership (with legal implications) with somebody with significant debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't give a damn what my partner earns, tbh. As long as they can hold a decent conversation and I like them as a person, I'm happy.

On the dole by circumstance, I'm fine with that. By choice, dealbreaker for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Salary isn't important. But some form of ambition and drive is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Once they have ambition & passion salary means nothing to me. I've been in a relationship with a girl that had no form of income. I had a high salary at the time so I just paid for everything.

Money really means very little to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

It's really nice to see the "it's not important" option winning but at the same time, people should be aware that a lack of money can put a huge strain on a relationship once a couple moves in together. I say this as someone who's been the one to strain the relationship with a lack of money and who has had a lot of pressure put on me as the one earning the lion's share. A happy medium, where possible, is the way to go. While it shouldn't matter, the sad fact of the matter is sometimes it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I wouldn't go out with a guy who chose to sit at home on the dole.

Ambition and interests are very important to me. I broke up with my last boyfriend because I got so bored of him, he has little to no passion in anything.
    He really liked me, but I just felt like I'd seen all there was to see in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

With me, it isn't important.

With one exception, with every woman I have ever dated it has.

Marriage is a financial transaction and those who believe it isn't are fooling themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Magenta wrote: »
    I wouldn't go out with a guy who chose to sit at home on the dole.

Ambition and interests are very important to me. I broke up with my last boyfriend because I got so bored of him, he has little to no passion in anything.
    He really liked me, but I just felt like I'd seen all there was to see in him.

I've been that guy before. Luckily people change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I agree with this, however I would have a problem with someone who didn't want to work.
    Who wants to work? :confused:

Ficheall wrote: »

Good point - change it to refuses to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ficheall wrote: »

I'm perfectly happy working and would choose to continue, albeit in a part-time, flexible capacity, even if I won the euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Not important at all... If I loved them and they loved me I'd rather them be happy stacking shelves than be unhappy doing something else...

As the beatles said... '' All you need is love'' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Aw so proud of the results of that.
    Defo wouldn't bother me what he earns as long as he works hard, be it in McDonald's or as a CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Their salary itself; not important. But it is essential for me that a person knows whats they want to do career-wise and has the mind to go and achieve it, that they do have genuine personal ambition and the desire to be financially self-sufficient. Success is an appealing trait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

From a purely financial point of view I'm more interested in how a potential partner spends their money than what they earn. I detest stinginess but at the same time I wouldn't want to be with someone who digs themselves into holes by living beyond their means on credit cards etc.

Advertisement