Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally time for a new build!

Options
  • 18-08-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, finally time for a wanted upgrade - I don't really "need" one, but I have the cash at the moment and want to get a new case / build from where I am now.

I have a full tower cooler master stacker case that I bought a very long time ago, and it's just way too big for me these days. It's about 25kg with parts all in! I definitely want a smaller case this time around. The Fractal maybe?

With that said, my Q6600 has served me faithfully for years and years now... probably the best investment I've ever made in a processor!

I had an AMD 4870 in the system as well which I upgraded to a 6950 at some point last year. Was surprised to see the 7x series out so 'quick' after that :(

Anyway enough of that :D

1. What is your budget? €700-€1000 (stretch if it will make a significant difference)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Internet - Starcraft 2, Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have 2 x 256GB Corsair SSDs for this new build, not for RAID, just for the C drive and another for regular files etc.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 2560x1440. The only upgrade for me would be triple monitors and I can't do that (lack of space).

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard/Speakers - my current keyboard is totally mank! :pac: I'd also like a new set of 5.1 speakers, my current ones don't have an optical connection.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Sooner the better!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] - no help needed :)

I'd just like to add I don't mind waiting if something better is around the corner (next 3 months or so). When it comes to graphics cards, I prefer a compromise between graphics power and power usage - I don't need the most powerful card if it means a lot more noise, power draw and higher temps, but I understand it might be a necessary evil at the resolution I'm at.

Thanks for reading it and for any help!

Comments

Advertisement