Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman road closures, 2012

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭

Do you remember all the fuss about this last year - the priest from Salthill thought the world was going to end 'cos people would have to walk to Mass, etc.

Well, I saw an article about this year's version in the Indo this week - clearly the council are getting the word out early so that we can all lodge objections in time :)

I've quoted some bits below - note that it includes this line:

Should you have any query regarding the intended closures please call XXXX alternatively you can email any queries to XXXX

(boards policies mean you nave to look at the council site for the number/email): http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/090812_01.html

1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Galway City Council proposes to make an order closing:-
    Salthill Car Park and Claude Toft Car Park
    Period of Closure: From 6.00am on Thursday, August 30th to 6.00pm on Monday, September 3rd 2012.
    Reason: To facilitate construction of a transition area for the Ironman Triathlon.
    2. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Galway City Council proposes to make an order closing:-
    Salthill Road Upper (R336) from Threadneedle Road to D'Arcy Roundabout and Seapoint Promenade (R336) from D'Arcy Roundabout (Seapoint) to Grattan Road (Galway Business Institute) and Grattan Road from Dr Colohan Road to Nimmo's Pier, Claddagh Quay.
    Period of Closure: From 04.00am to 5.00pm on Sunday, September 2nd 2012
    Reason: To facilitate the Run Route for the Ironman Triathlon
    Alternative Routes: Alternative routes for traffic will be via signposted diversion routes.
    Diversion Routes: Alternative routes are detailed in the attached summary.
    Shuttle Routes: A manned shuttle route will be in operation on Salthill Road Upper to facilitate Galway Bay Hotel and Salthill Hotel.
    A manned shuttle route will be in operation on Seapoint Promenade to facilitate Quincentennial Drive & the Atlantaquarium.
    A manned shuttle route will be in operation on Grattan Road to facilitate residents of Grattan Park.

3. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Galway City Council proposes to make an order closing:-
    Salthill Road Upper (R864) from D'Arcy Roundabout Seapoint to Lenaboy Gardens
    Period of Closure: From 04.00am to 2.00pm on Sunday, September 2nd 2012
    Reason: To facilitate the Cycle Route for the Ironman Triathlon
    Alternative Routes: Alternative routes for traffic will be via signposted diversion routes.

4. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Galway City and County Councils propose to make orders closing:-
    The Galway - Maigh Cuillinn - Oughterard - Clifden Road (N59) and Newcastle Road Upper (N59) from Quincentenary Bridge, Galway City to Maam Cross, Distillery Road, Newcastle Road Lower (R864), Newcastle Road (R864), St. Mary's Road (R864), Salthill Road Lower and Salthill Road Upper
    Period of Closure: From 7.00am to 2.00pm on Sunday, September 2nd 2012
    Reason: To facilitate the Cycle Route for the Ironman Triathlon

Diversion Routes for Sunday Sept 2nd
    From Galway City Centre to City West or Bearna Road and vice-versa.
    4:00am to 7:00am A route will be available via Wolfe Tone Bridge, Fr. Griffin Road, The Cresent, Salthill Road Lower, Dr Mannix Road and Threadneedle Road and Vice-versa.
    From the Connamara area west of Maam Cross divert via R336 to An Scriob, Casla, An Spidéal, Na Forbacha and Bearna to Galway City, East County Galway and vice-versa.
    From the Connamara Area North of Maam Cross including Leenane divert via R345 to Cornamona, An Fhairche, Cong, via the R344 to Headford and the N84 to Galway City East County Galway and vice-versa.
    7:00am to 2.00pm Anyone wishing to travel towards Galway City Centre, Galway City East or Galway County East must use the Quincentenary Bridge as it will be the only bridge available .
    From Galway City West to City Centre, City East or County East and vice-versa.
    7:00am to 2:00pm The Quincentenary Bridge will be the only bridge available during this period.
    2:00pm to 5:00pm The Quincentenary, Wolfe Tone, Salmon Weir & O'Brien's Bridges will be available.
    From Nuns Island, The Claddagh, Small Crane or Salthill Lower as far West as Ocean Wave to any location and vice-versa.
    7:00am to 2:00pm Wolfe Tone, Salmon Weir & O'Brien's Bridges will be available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The salthill priest has his objections in.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27316-priest-warns-road-closures-will-deny-right-worship
    A City priest has expressed concern that Sunday road closures to facilitate the Ironman 70.3 race in Galway next month is denying local Catholics’ right to worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dloob wrote: »

Indeed: to listen to him, you'd think that most people drive to get there. But I can't figure out where they put their cars ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Is the coucil going to put up proper diversion signage for those who don't read their website? Or is it going to be the usual traffic noone-knows-where-they're-going GCC bull?

From experience you waste your time writing to them, ringing them, emailing them, or turning up to GCC in person.

Not having a go at you JustMary; a lot of us appreciate you posting the closures that we otherwise wouldn't see.

However, seeing as a lot of locals don't know how to get around when they drive up to a "Road Closed" sign with no explantion off a detour, what are tourists supposed to do? This has been raised with GCC on numerous occasions over the last 8 years or so, with local business offering to get the signs made, but they've been told by GCC that "it wouldn't be seen to be right to have a local business do what the city council should be doing" (GCC employee 4-5 years ago), but then GCC have failed to do the job.

Local councillors have also failed to do anything about this; Declan McDonald was asked on several occasions to do something about the signage when he was "representing" the local businesses in the council, and others have been asked when they have been doorstepping at election time.

Sorry about the rant folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

lol @ JustMary, that's the same thought I had when I saw the article.

I'm sure the Council are not discriminating and are also going to provide an exhaustive list of footpaths and cycle paths that will be closed/restricted.
    I remember it last year, it rained heavily all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Fey! wrote: »
    Is the coucil going to put up proper diversion signage for those who don't read their website? Or is it going to be the usual traffic noone-knows-where-they're-going GCC bull?

From experience you waste your time writing to them, ringing them, emailing them, or turning up to GCC in person.

Not having a go at you JustMary; a lot of us appreciate you posting the closures that we otherwise wouldn't see.

However, seeing as a lot of locals don't know how to get around when they drive up to a "Road Closed" sign with no explantion off a detour, what are tourists supposed to do? This has been raised with GCC on numerous occasions over the last 8 years or so, with local business offering to get the signs made, but they've been told by GCC that "it wouldn't be seen to be right to have a local business do what the city council should be doing" (GCC employee 4-5 years ago), but then GCC have failed to do the job.

Local councillors have also failed to do anything about this; Declan McDonald was asked on several occasions to do something about the signage when he was "representing" the local businesses in the council, and others have been asked when they have been doorstepping at election time.

Sorry about the rant folks.

There was a very detailed full page advertisement in last week's Advertiser detailing the closure and diversion routes.

• Advertisement

"Yer man" in Salthill is a disgrace on this issue. He should be happy that it's bringing people and business to his area. A friend of mine tackled him on the issue a few days ago. He launched into a rant, not listening to her suggestion that he ask the locals who run businesses in the area what they think of the event.

The road closures affecting access to his Masses is a complete red herring. The offer has been made to him that he can have a bus to pick up parishioners who can't otherwise make it. Apparently this has been turned down. The Claddagh church on the other hand has apparently taken up the offer.

In these days when the catholic church is becoming more and more marginalised, it beggars belief that one of its representatives can be so negative towards something which is so overwhelmingly positive. It might serve him better to get behind it.

By the way, one wonders why he doesn't complain about the traffic chaos caused by the GAA in his parish? Would he be a fan?

churchview wrote: »
    There was a very detailed full page advertisement in last week's Advertiser detailing the closure and diversion routes.

I haven't seen the Galway Advertiser, Galway Indepentent or the City Tribune (which are the 3 primary local papers) in months. What use is that ad to people who don't get those papers.

That ad is also of no use to visitors to the city. Which is why proper signage is the proper solution, as we are in a city which deals with a lot of visitors.

Why is that so difficult, be it for the Ironman, the races, the Volvo, or anything wlse which requires road closures?

I haven't seen the Galway Advertiser, Galway Indepentent or the City Tribune (which are the 3 primary local papers) in months. What use is that ad to people who don't get those papers.

That ad is also of no use to visitors to the city. Which is why proper signage is the proper solution, as we are in a city which deals with a lot of visitors.
    G
    Why is that so difficult, be it for the Ironman, the races, the Volvo, or anything wlse which requires road closures?

I don't disagree with you. They should have all the signage you mention plus the ad I highlighted.

I'd imagine the council shirks its responsibilities by requiring event organisers to put up signage and then, doesn't actually require them to do it properly as to do so would only point to their own shortcomings. Same half ars*d was they do most things.

This has been raised with GCC on numerous occasions over the last 8 years or so, with local business offering to get the signs made, but they've been told by GCC that "it wouldn't be seen to be right to have a local business do what the city council should be doing" (GCC employee 4-5 years ago), but then GCC have failed to do the job.

Recently I came across the idea of "tactical urbanism". Basically it's the concept that sometimes, particularly in an urban environment, it's obvious what needs to be done, but for whatever reason the official channels can't, won't or don't do them - so instead you just have to do them yourself, and seek forgiveness later on.

Just sayin' ....

I'm curious to know what means do you think that the council should use to communicate with you? It's hardly their fault that you choose not to read the local papers ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what means do you think that the council should use to communicate with you? It's hardly their fault that you choose not to read the local papers ....

What about people coming into the town for that week end. Are they supposed to find a two week old paper to discover what way they should be travelling to get around the closures

JustMary wrote: »

Seeing as you have completely missed the point, let me spell it out.

I'm happy with signage on the day telling me where to go, ideally with forewarning before you get to the actual closed road and have to attempt to turn around (unfortunately many drivers lack this particular talent).

How do you think GCC should communicate with people who aren't local?

If you read the part of my post you didn't quote yuo would have seen the reference to visitors to the town not seeing a several week old newspaper. Restingpilgrim made that same point in the post immediatly following yours.

As for locals putting up signs and seeking forgiveness, those same locals can, and would, receive fines from the very authority who shirk their responsibilities on a regular basis.

Churchview mentioned that perhaps the council feels it's up to the event organisors to sort out this signage. For some events it is written into the road closure agreement (closure of the Dyke Road for the rally in February. For others it apparently is expressly forbidden (Cross Street closure for race week).

If you attempt to contact GCC about it you are told by one group that responsibility lies with roads, but by another that the responsibility lies with environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I`ve had the misfortune of going to masses yet man has done. And they wonder why people don't go to mass anymore. One word....... MENTAL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'm not a mass goer but i do live in salthill and am always facinated and amused by looneys. I'm tempted to pop along for mass this sunday now just to check out the rant live, he might have a thing or two to say during the sermon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do they not have mass on Saturday evenings?

For those who want to attend that instead of Sunday morning

Seems like yer man just wants some attention

To be fair to the event organisers, maps and road closing times arrived with this mornings post. Presumably it has gone to all houses.

It still doesn't change my point of view on the necessary signage, but it's a very good start.

Seeing as you have completely missed the point, let me spell it out.

There are (at least) two points.

One is the issue of prior notice and consultation - which is where this thread started.

The other is signage on the day. If you want to influence this, then you can post here (ineffectual) or you can respond to the council's notification and invitation to comment (previously ineffectual, but we live in hope). Or you can look for tactical alternatives - trust me, there is one, someone just needs to work out what it is.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do they not have mass on Saturday evenings?
    For those who want to attend that instead of Sunday morning
    Seems like yer man just wants some attention

Indeed - and in lots of different churches around the city, too. "Yer man" is not stupid - he knows that this is good publicity, and his best chance to get in the paper for the "right" reasons.

This is a footpath that's been closed already. No public notice given, no signs up stating the path is closed and no diversions put in place on this busy stretch of the N6.
    vbbv_Aug12_018.jpgvbbv_Aug12_022.jpg

Should add that the sign is advertising messages regarding the forthcoming commercial Ironman event exclusively for the motoring public.

Also if anyone wanders to Salthill Church tomorrow, maybe document the footpath parking/within 5m of the traffic signals or junctions parking/double yellow line parking..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

snubbleste wrote: »
    Should add that the sign is advertising messages regarding the forthcoming commercial Ironman event exclusively for the motoring public.

Also if anyone wanders to Salthill Church tomorrow, maybe document the footpath parking/within 5m of the traffic signals or junctions parking/double yellow line parking..:p

Your complaining they don't have info up and your complaining when they put info up, who cares, plenty of info in the papers.

Miserable negative Ireland is alive and well and their hobbies include taking photo of Electronic traffic signage.

• Advertisement

rowr wrote: »
    Your complaining they don't have info up and your complaining when they put info up, who cares, plenty of info in the papers.
    Miserable negative Ireland is alive and well and their hobbies include taking photo of Electronic traffic signage.

The Council have an obligation to provide safe navigation for all, not just motorists. Can you show me how to get past that sign on the footpath rowr?

The Council have an obligation to provide safe navigation for all, not just motorists. Can you show me how to get past that sign on the footpath rowr?
    for crying out loud just walk around it. There'll be one bike every five minutes or so to avoid but leaves 4mins 55secs out of every five to make your move. Not exactly Indiana Jones territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

By using your brain like the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That's fairly petty snubbleste. :rolleyes:

Anyway there's clearly a gap in the middle of the sign, progress through like so;

jump_through_hoop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I`ve had the misfortune of going to masses yet man has done. And they wonder why people don't go to mass anymore. One word....... MENTAL

I think this comment is unfair and uncalled for. I've been to several masses said by Fr Jennings and generally found his sermons to be quite engaging. But, of course, it's easy to go with the flow and slag someone off as being "MENTAL" from behind a keyboard.

The question, as Fr Jennings said, is whether the council should be able to “arbitrarily deny people the traditional right to worship in their local church on a Sunday."

It's interesting to imagine how different this discussion would be if we were talking about, for example, Muslims having their access to a mosque restricted because of the Ironman.

I've a feeling that, in that scenario, many of the people who are now having a go at the priest would be up in arms in support of the Muslims' right to not have their worship affected by random sporting events.

J o e wrote: »
    That's fairly petty snubbleste. :rolleyes:
    Anyway there's clearly a gap in the middle of the sign, progress through like so;
    How is it petty?
    The Council are closing off roads and giving advance notice, yet they discriminate against pedestrians and cyclists by not doing the same. That particular throughfare is an accident blackspot for all forms of traffic. Maybe people would have a different reaction if that sign was put on one of the traffic lanes.
    I've written to the email address posted earlier about the closure.

The question, as Fr Jennings said, is whether the council should be able to “arbitrarily deny people the traditional right to worship in their local church on a Sunday.

The answer is, they haven't. Only vehicular access is blocked and the offer of a bus for those who can't walk the few feet from areas that aren't closed off was allegedly turned down by the same Fr Jennings.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

This is a footpath that's been closed already. No public notice given, no signs up stating the path is closed and no diversions put in place on this busy stretch of the N6.

That's unbelievably petty...

I think this comment is unfair and uncalled for. I've been to several masses said by Fr Jennings and generally found his sermons to be quite engaging. But, of course, it's easy to go with the flow and slag someone off as being "MENTAL" from behind a keyboard.

The question, as Fr Jennings said, is whether the council should be able to “arbitrarily deny people the traditional right to worship in their local church on a Sunday."

It's interesting to imagine how different this discussion would be if we were talking about, for example, Muslims having their access to a mosque restricted because of the Ironman.

I've a feeling that, in that scenario, many of the people who are now having a go at the priest would be up in arms in support of the Muslims' right to not have their worship affected by random sporting events.
    Muslims, catholics, Jedi Knights.... it makes no difference.

The man is being awkward. "Denied their right to worship", like as if the competitors are standing in from of the church front door forming a barracde with their carbon fibre bicycles. People in this country are so terrified of the slightest inconvenience. It's one sunday. Go the day before, go to a different church, use the bus being offered, you know weeks in advance there's plenty of time to make a decision.

The line that really sickened me was the one about The ironman being very welcome but not to the point where it interfers with peoples everyday lives. For christs sake, if, as a town, we are not prepared to be inconvenienced every now and then for something positive for the city as a whole it's really pathetic. The whole "What's in it for me?" attitude.

• Advertisement

Perfect morning weatherwise for today's event. I've seen two competitors competing on mountain bikes instead of racers :eek:

Advertisement