Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year Psychology in Queens, Belfast?

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just got my Leaving Cert results and got 510 points.
    I'm hoping that will be enough for my 1st choice of Psychology in UCD, but we'll have to see, it's all up in the air in the moment.
    However, I have been accepted into the undergraduate Psychology course in Queens, Belfast as I obtained the A and 5 B2s I needed.
    I just really amen't sure if I should use this original 'backup' option if things dont go to plan.
    I have plenty of other courses down on the CAO I have plenty of points for, such as Psychology and Sociology in UL, and Psychology through Science in NUIM, but I dont think any of them would be of high a standard as Queens.
    I'm just trying to find out if it would be better to take the chance and move to Belfast, or stick out a longer course (possibly) here with the benefit of having familiar surroundings, friends etc ..
    And if anyone else is planning on going to Queens, or even just Belfats, and are in a similar situation of being completely alone in doing so, please let me know. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges.

Congratulations on your results OP. Is there something in particular that's putting you off going to Queen's - you don't sound too keen? It's an excellent university and Belfast is a fantastic student city, but all that wouldn't matter if you really didn't want to be there to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

pow wow wrote: »
    Moved to NI & GB Colleges.

Congratulations on your results OP. Is there something in particular that's putting you off going to Queen's - you don't sound too keen? It's an excellent university and Belfast is a fantastic student city, but all that wouldn't matter if you really didn't want to be there to begin with!

Thank you! :)
    I dont know, I always thought of it as a back-up option but now I may actually have to use it.
    I always said I wouldn't mind going, but I guess it's the fact that I'll no literally no-one. I don't have a clue where to look for accommodation and I haven't even seen the university.
    There's a part of me that would really love to go,I always said I'd love a fresh start somewhere new and I do love the North, but I'm just nervous I guess.
    I just wish I had more of a clue about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

OP you have to go for it if its the not noing anything thing tht scares ya. I was in the exact same position as ya five years ago, sat the leaving cert, didnt no anybody going to belfast took my chance and had the best five yearsof my life up there. I would reccomend for you totry and move in to halls, its a great place for meeting people. I no your scared but if your guts saying do it take the chance. the best things in life are experiencing something unfamiliar. end of the day if ya dont like it dublins only two hours away

regob wrote: »
    OP you have to go for it if its the not noing anything thing tht scares ya. I was in the exact same position as ya five years ago, sat the leaving cert, didnt no anybody going to belfast took my chance and had the best five yearsof my life up there. I would reccomend for you totry and move in to halls, its a great place for meeting people. I no your scared but if your guts saying do it take the chance. the best things in life are experiencing something unfamiliar. end of the day if ya dont like it dublins only two hours away

I've been thinking it over and have decided if I don't get offered one of my top choices then I'll go for it. :)
    I might as well try something new and I probably would enjoy myself once I got settled in.
    I live in the back end of nowhere so a move to Dublin would prob be the same thing. And if I want to come home at the weekend there's still that option, and I have relations just a bus ride away in Enniskillen.
    The application for campus accommodation is closed but you can make a late one and they'll offer you a vacant place if they have it, so I'll do that asap when I know for sure.
    Would you have any idea of good off campus accommondation available for students?

biohaiid wrote: »
    I've been thinking it over and have decided if I don't get offered one of my top choices then I'll go for it. :)
    I might as well try something new and I probably would enjoy myself once I got settled in.
    I live in the back end of nowhere so a move to Dublin would prob be the same thing. And if I want to come home at the weekend there's still that option, and I have relations just a bus ride away in Enniskillen.
    The application for campus accommodation is closed but you can make a late one and they'll offer you a vacant place if they have it, so I'll do that asap when I know for sure.
    Would you have any idea of good off campus accommondation available for students?

there would be a variety of differnt locations i would reccomend, if ya try anywhere in the stranmillis area, great area and great amenities near byand very close to queens psychology aswell. you could also try the holylands but would be quite a party area. theres also botanic which is great.really id just reccomend anywhere near the queens main building. your cao results would be out today arnt they? so is it to be queens?

• Advertisement

there would be a variety of differnt locations i would reccomend, if ya try anywhere in the stranmillis area, great area and great amenities near byand very close to queens psychology aswell. you could also try the holylands but would be quite a party area. theres also botanic which is great.really id just reccomend anywhere near the queens main building. your cao results would be out today arnt they? so is it to be queens?

Thats for the advice.
    Only got offered my 4th choice today, beyond devastated really.
    So now I have the option between Psychology and Sociology in UL, or Psychology in Queens.
    Queens definately seems to offer the better course, but I have a few other facotrs to consider.

sorry to hear that. if ya want my honest opinion, if queens is the better course, really think if these other factors are that important. end of the day out the quality of the course first on your list

sorry to hear that. if ya want my honest opinion, if queens is the better course, really think if these other factors are that important. end of the day out the quality of the course first on your list

Thanks.
    Iv'e accepted my place and am applying for accommodation.
    It doesn't mean it's definate but I still have the option untill Monday.

Advertisement