Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unjust Infraction

Options
  • 18-08-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I’ve been infracted by Greebo for allegedly ignoring a moderator's instructions on this thread.

I sent a PM to Greebo appealing the infraction and was informed that “The infraction was purely for ignoring the instruction to get back on topic. The topic of the thread was playing rights, your post subsequent to my warning was nothing about playing rights.”

I would point out that the thread was headed “reciprocal playing rights” but the OP’s first post broadened this by asking “3. Is this the cheapest / best value golf membership deal on the north side of Dublin ?”

He then thanked me for responding and asked me for further information regarding loss making courses, thus reinforcing the 3rd point on value for money as raised in his original post. The OP made no mention of Social Welfare (nor did I).

However, Social Welfare was raised by other posters, and, as this was entirely unrelated to the 1st post or subsequent discussion, I interpreted the mod’s instruction as relating only to Social Welfare.

Therefore, I feel that I did not ignore the moderator’s instruction, and that my subsequent post was on thread as regards the 3rd point in the OP's 1st post and fair response to his later accusation of snobbery and promotion of certain public golf courses over member owned clubs.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Please attempt to resolve this DRP in the first stage by an exchange of PMs with the moderator, per the above chart. If, after having done this, a resolution cannot be reached, then please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Black Swan wrote: »
    Please attempt to resolve this DRP in the first stage by an exchange of PMs with the moderator, per the above chart. If, after having done this, a resolution cannot be reached, then please advise.

As already explained (oops, in 2nd sentence, my apologies), I have already exchanged PMs with the moderator.

However, a resolution has not been reached and he advised me to refer my appeal to the DRP.

I can send you the PMs if this would help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

golfwallah wrote: »
    I can send you the PMs if this would help.
    Please forward all PMs exchanged with the mod regarding this 18 August 2012 infraction to me by PM at your earliest convenience. Please don't post them here, unless asked. Thanks.

Please be advised that I have received the exchange of PMs between golfwallah and mod GreeBo, reviewed the original thread before it had been split, the warning, subsequent posts after the warning, and infractions issued after the warning.
    1. OP ryaner777 starts a thread concerned with "Reciprocal Playing Rights" that pertained to particular municipal golf courses, asking specific questions about those rights.
    2. golfwallah went off-topic and initiated a discussion on subsidizing golf courses, which other posters joined, and became a bit heated.
    3. Mod GreeBo issues in-thread warning "Any chance of getting back on topic?"
    4. golfwallah continues off-topic discussion on subsidies, offering a very detailed outline that pertained to this off-topic discussion.
    5. His in-thread warning ignored, mod GreeBo is compelled to issue a red card infraction to golfwallah for "Ignored Mod Instruction" (red cards are also issued to other posters for the same reason).
    6. Mod GreeBo later splits the original thread into 2 different threads, one that preserved the original "Reciprocal Playing Rights" topic, and a new thread that concerned the completely different topic of "Subsidised Courses."
    Given this chain of events, it appears that the red card infraction was fully justified, consequently I am unable to overturn mod GreeBo's action; therefore the infraction stands.

This concludes the review of this DRP at the Sports Cmod level. At this point in the DRP process, golfwallah may either accept and learn from this event, requesting that this DRP be closed, or he may request an Admin review.

REQUEST TO ADMIN:

Would the Admin please review this DRP at their earliest convenience per the PM request of golfwallah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seems pretty straightforward. Mod issued on topic warning. It was ignored. Card ensues.

While I can understand that some threads are organic in nature (start with one thing and end with another) when a mod issues an instruction, if you want to continue discussing something that's off topic you either start up a new thread or ask for a split.

I can't see any reason to overturn the card. The warning was ignored. The card was for ignoring the warning. It might have been better to split the thread early, but as a mod you don't always have the luxury of knowing which part of a conversation is going to dominate.

Card upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement