Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands road deaths

• 19-08-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that nearly all of the recent road deaths in the country are 'single' vehicle incidents.

Are these tragedies all down to poor driving? Excessive speed? Alcohol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

All three sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Bit of a downer this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To be honest, I think the media needs to stop reporting drunk driving / crazy driving incidents as 'accidents'.

The correct phrasing is "X was killed in a reckless driving incident"
    or "Y was killed in a Drunk driving / drug driving incident"

The whole use of the term 'accident' is inappropriate as it implies that it was just some kind of tragic error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have noticed that nearly all of the recent road deaths in the country are 'single' vehicle incidents.

Ignorance, poor driving and poor decision making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May be a bit of a downer, but surely its something we need to be concerned about?

Did news reports in the past not mention the word 'single', as I don't remember it? Maybe it did. Or are we seeing more 'single' car crashes?

I think a deterrent would be to have Gatso vans in random places, not announcing where they are going to be. This is plain stupid imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Completely agree with solair. while it may be tough to say a person caused death through their actions it means people don't look objectively at how deaths are caused and can be prevented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Alcohol, speed, poor surfaces and suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Any number of factors, the above would be some yeah. It could also be fatigue or any health issue where the driver looses focus for even a split second. In a number of cases, we never know the reason as the unfortunate driver would have lost their battle to live.

It is tragic when people loose their lives on these roads. I am not sure that the campaigns by RSA are all that effective either, but at least they are doing something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

May be a bit of a downer, but surely its something we need to be concerned about?

Did news reports in the past not mention the word 'single', as I don't remember it? Maybe it did. Or are we seeing more 'single' car crashes?

totally without any sort of proof

but I often wonder if some of the single vehicle, single driver ones are in fact suicides rather than accidents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Just keep her between the ditches and we'll all be grand, seriously like, it's not that hard, it's the big green things either side of ye ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

amacca wrote: »

but I often wonder if some of the single vehicle, single driver ones are in fact suicides rather than accidents

Doubtful. Killing yourself is difficult & unreliable enough without resorting to gambling on a car crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Solair wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the media needs to stop reporting drunk driving / crazy driving incidents as 'accidents'.

The correct phrasing was "X was killed in a reckless driving incident"

The whole use of the term 'accident' is inappropriate as it implies that it was just some kind of tragic error.

There's a scene in Hot Fuzz where Simon Pegg tells his partner not to call them accidents but collisions as accident implies it was nobodies fault. I would assume that The Met probably do have such guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Doubtful. Killing yourself is difficult & unreliable enough without resorting to gambling on a car crash.

yeah normally I'd agree with you.......but the details of one or two I know about defy explanation as simply an "accident"....crash details + drivers personal situation

of course it could still simply have been an accident, its sort of something that can never be proven I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Careless, fatigue, alcohol, using your mobile phone, you name it

yeah normally I'd agree with you.......but the details of one or two I know about defy explanation as simply an "accident"....crash details + drivers personal situation

of course it could still simply have been an accident, its sort of something that can never be proven I suppose

Only takes a minor lapse in concentration to have a crash. Cars aren't as safe as we like to believe.

I'm sure there are some suicides this way, but the numbers would be incredibly low. Even if they were planning it, it would be unusual to not leave a note to explain the action... unless they were attempting to make it look like an accident, which wouldn't match typical suicidal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Just keep her between the ditches and we'll all be grand, seriously like, it's not that hard, it's the big green things either side of ye ..

That's all well and good but on the way home from the pub the ditches move of their own accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

You're forgetting that anyone who attempts suicide this way does it so people will interpret it as an accident rather than a deliberate act. The method isn't chosen for effectiveness, but to prevent the terrible mental health stigma surrounding their death.

It's terribly sad, but true in an unknown number of cases. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Many suicidal people would be worried about the devastating effects of their actions on their families and loved ones. They feel an 'accidental' death would be the best option. Also, to the best of my knowledge, life insurance (especially on mortgages) will not pay out for an obvious suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

yeah, i'm sure there are some suicides because of the hardship on a lot of folks but i have seen so many near misses from people using their phones while driving.
    I was almost run into head on a while back on the forest road in swords as a stupid person was on their phone and veered onto my lane and he only managed to violently swerve back onto his lane while almost mounting the pedestrian path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Falling asleep is another major factor.
    Lack of sleep plus alcohol is five times more dangerous than alcohol alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Solair wrote: »

The correct phrasing was "X was killed in a reckless driving incident"

And given that the full circumstances of the crash would unlikely have been investigated by the time the media report on it, would it not be a bit presumptuous to call it a drunk driving / drug driving incident?

Especially if there is any risk of legal proceedings following on from any investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

The sex and age of the occupants as well as the make and model of the car generally tell you all you need to know. For instance: male, 20s, Honda, civic, sound familiar? I would say a large amount of these types of collisions are down to "racing".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I would say a large amount of these types of collisions are down to "racing".
    Why would you say that? Do you have evidence?

There was an investigation initiated (by the HSE?) a couple of years ago into the increasing number of male deaths in single vehicle driver-only RTIs. Having ruled out alcohol, drugs, racing, mechanical defects, etc as possible contributory or common factors, the suspicion at the time centred on suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

It's often believed that suicide car crashes are far more prevalent in society than one would think. I remember hearing a County Coroner on the Frontline on RTE saying that many single vehicle car crashes involving young males are often believed to be suicides but of course this can't be officially recorded as there needs to be some sort of proof such as a note etc. This then leads them to be classified as "accidents".
    It's a very sad issue to be talking about :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods#Traffic_collisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I don't mind hearing about single car crashes as much as I do a multiple car crash because there is nothing worse than hearing about some morons driving while pissed and they end up crashing into some unlucky individual or family who just happened to be on the same road as these idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

mathepac wrote: »
    ... I would say a large amount of these types of collisions are down to "racing".
    Why would you say that? Do you have evidence?

There was an investigation initiated (by the HSE?) a couple of years ago into the increasing number of male deaths in single vehicle driver-only RTIs. Having ruled out alcohol, drugs, racing, mechanical defects, etc as possible contributory or common factors, the suspicion at the time centred on suicide.

I have second hand knowledge that the most recent crash of the type that I described was down to racing however my stating that a large amount of these types of collisions as described in my previous post is an opinion, based on the way I have seen most men my age drive. Unfortunately we can never truly know the full story as you can't ask a dead person why they're dead and so all we have are suspicions like you said which are no more than well informed opinions not evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Suicide. The elephant in the A and E.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

its like calling the crash in donegal where 8 died an accident,it was a hit and run,they hit a car and kept going before crashing themselves and killing a pensioner in process.the usual parish priest guff ect.inquest disappeared.dont know why we glorify this type of thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It annoys me greatly when a young lad/group of young lads wrap themselves around a pole at 3 in the morning in their riced-up Starlet and it is described in the media as a "tragedy".

It not tragic, it's idiotic and pretty much a prime example of natural selection at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Does anybody notice why pretty much all these accidents you hear of are down the country.....You just dont hear of this kinda thing happening in the citys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Shryke wrote: »
    There's a scene in Hot Fuzz where Simon Pegg tells his partner not to call them accidents but collisions as accident implies it was nobodies fault. I would assume that The Met probably do have such guidelines.

Hospitals are removing the word accident from accident and emergency rooms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

What about the nicely positioned poles all the way up the road, so if you did loose control the would slow you down safely ... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It annoys me greatly when a young lad/group of young lads wrap themselves around a pole at 3 in the morning in their riced-up Starlet and it is described in the media as a "tragedy".

It not tragic, it's idiotic and pretty much a prime example of natural selection at work.

It also annoys me when I hear people make assumptions about a crash without knowing the full facts. The lad that died in last night's crash was a passenger. I'm sure his parents will take lots of comfort from knowing that natural selection (according to you) is the reason their son is dead this morning.

Does anybody notice why pretty much all these accidents you hear of are down the country.....You just dont hear of this kinda thing happening in the citys

Speed/dangerous driving is certainly a factor in some road crashes. Cities are built up, lots of traffic, traffic lights etc. Far harder to get long stretches of road with little traffic where speed can be built up to a point where a crash will be fatal.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

if people had taken drink/drugs before crashing its self inflicted and they broke the law,also jamming 8 people into a car is asking for trouble.its not a tragic loss,its stupidity.driver should be jailed if still alive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I don't care about people who cause their own death by driving in intoxicated, greatly fatigued or just reckless conditions. It just pisses me off when you hear about others being dragged into the whole situation because a stupid driver drove into their car.

At one stage you will always hear some people even defending drunk driving by recalling "the past" when it was legal and accepted to drive home after having been to the pub. That's something I really don't get..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 polominted

Lots must be put down to fatigue.Woke up myself after side-swiping crash barrier on Fermoy by-pass last year.Luck little traffic on road.Wife got a stiff neck - - - we could have both been stiff all over forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Gambling? There's nothing difficult or unreliable about deliberately hitting a tree or wall at 70mph +. You certainly won't be waking up after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another single vehicle death since this thread started last night

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0819/17-year-old-male-dies-in-co-roscommon-crash.html

Another single vehicle death since this thread started last night

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0819/17-year-old-male-dies-in-co-roscommon-crash.html

This was the crash I was referring to in earlier posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tiredness is a huge factor

People are working all sorts of crazy shifts, I spent years on 3 cycle or 4 cycle or nights myself

After a day in college and then travel 2 hours home, then pull a 12 hour shift of hard physical work like barwork and hotel porter work, realy you are in no fit state to drive at 8am the next morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Seatbelts.

Acting the arse.

In some of the USA, for example, you (unaccompanied by an over 25 year old licence holder) may not carry a passenger in their teens for a year after you pass your test, and may not drive between midnight and 0500. Stick five 17 year olds in a car late at night and expect them not to be horsing around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The medications that people are on for back pain depression etc combined with stress from work,family does take a toll on alertness and oordination. The newer cars though smaller leave very little margin in the event of a rollover or headon. The car may survive somewhat intact however the forces are transferred to the occupants.

Look up you tube on the smart car test against a concrete barrier

mitosis wrote: »
    Seatbelts.

Acting the arse.

In some of the USA, for example, you (unaccompanied by an over 25 year old licence holder) may not carry a passenger in their teens for a year after you pass your test, and may not drive between midnight and 0500. Stick five 17 year olds in a car late at night and expect them not to be horsing around?

Maybe if you knew the five lads in question, or knew the stretch of road they crashed on last night ( a place where there have been a lot of accidents) you mightn't be so quick to judge.

Gambling? There's nothing difficult or unreliable about deliberately hitting a tree or wall at 70mph +. You certainly won't be waking up after it.

Can I borrow your car?

I would suspect that some of these are suicides, simply because the drivers are often local so should know the road and what would be a safe speed to drive on this section of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

And given that the full circumstances of the crash would unlikely have been investigated by the time the media report on it, would it not be a bit presumptuous to call it a drunk driving / drug driving incident?

Especially if there is any risk of legal proceedings following on from any investigation.

Then call it "an incident"
    saying it's am accident is equally presumptuous.

I find that media outlets still call these incidents accidents even if the cause we're established legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A huge amount of them are careless young men risking their lives to overtake a car and then SPLAT, they are killed stone dead. Why oh why oh why are people in such a rush on the roads these days? Is there really anything worth risking your life for just to save a few seconds? I see it all the time on the roads, people who are in a mad rush and overtake you only to see them a few seconds down the road, having not gained anything, WHATS THE BIG RUSH? If most of these people just took their time and used the roads as they were intended there wouldnt be half as many deaths on the road, but no....everything has to be now now now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

Driver suicides are very much the minority of single vehicle collisions. All the research both national and international would tend to support that. No doubt that it does happen and it is possibly under reported but they still only make up a tiny fraction of road deaths. (one research example: http://www.monash.edu.au/miri/research/reports/muarc216.pdf)

Most single vehicle collisions occur on rural roads where the roadside is very unforgiving - trees, telegraph poles, ditches, fences etc. There are no crash barriers or hard shoulders. Drivers leave the road for a number of reasons - they were drunk, speeding, distracted, on the phone, tired, on medication, bald tyres on wet roads or simply misjudged a corner because they are only driving a few months. Accidents will always happen, but many of the factors involved are under the individuals control.

The expanded motorway/dual carriage way system reduced the number of multi-vehicle collisions which were usually head on collision. The proportion of single vehicles collisions has increased as a result. However all fatal collisions have been reducing in recent years because of better driver behaviour, especially the change in drink driving.

For whatever reason the suicide theory is far more popular with people than the cold fact that the factors that cause a collision are things we all probably have done at some stage. Safer roads for the most part are under the control of each driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Of course the thing you are not mentioning for fear of back lash, which is probably a huge cause of single vehicle crashes, Suicide. But it's never recorded as such because Life insurance doesn't pay out then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement