Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Out in Galway

Options
  • 19-08-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

This isn't another thread asking where is good to eat. It's a site I made for my friends and I. Thought I'd share it here.

The idea of the site came from the fact when I was going to get something to eat with friends or girlfriends it usually lead to a long back and forth of trying to figure out where to eat. Either because everyone was indecisive or as a group were indecisive due to the fact everyone was too polite to take charge and decide. So I came up with this site. It's purely based on Galway City for now.

I don't have too many places on it, If there's anywhere you think I should put on here, let me know. I'd love feedback. This isn't for profit either so hopefully it's ok to post here since it's a frequently asked question.

It's very basic. I only just set it up and it's very bare.

http://www.indecisiveeater.com/wordpress/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Needs work, but a good idea.
    Is there a list of all the options somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ficheall wrote: »
    Needs work, but a good idea.
    Is there a list of all the options somewhere?

Not yet. I had one but I hid it. I was going to tailor it to allow people to un-check certain options like if they don't like Chinese or Sea Food or just know they don't feel like one option but to be honest, Galway is so small if a Chinese place pops up and you hit the button again it would give you something else.

Current list:

Vinnies
    McDonaghs
    McDonalds
    Supermacs
    La Salsa
    Apache
    Dominos
    Kashmir
    Pizza and Pasta Napoli
    Tamarind
    The Villa
    Golden Mountain
    The Charcoal Grill

It's fast food based at the moment. What do yee think? Expand it to other places. It's not meant to be a game changer or anything. Just think it's not a bad option if you aren't sure what you want to get is all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I dont get it. i've looked at the site and dont really see anything about restaurants, am i missing something? You the list places of which at least 6 wouldn't be places a group of people going for dinner would go. Not knocking you, i just amn't getting it, maybe its too late for me!!

I dont get it. i've looked at the site and dont really see anything about restaurants, am i missing something? You the list places of which at least 6 wouldn't be places a group of people going for dinner would go. Not knocking you, i just amn't getting it, maybe its too late for me!!

Hit the Try It button. So far it's mostly fast food. Haven't put in the likes of Cavas, Scottys, Gemmelles, Fat Freddys, KC Blakes etc. May put them in a separate option because they are a bit more upmarket and expensive.

When you hit the Try It button you should have a new tab open with a random restaurant. e.g.

EXAMPLE

I only just threw it together, it's just using a generic template, the try it button is basic HTML etc. I can make it better for sure and will over time

Thanks for the feedback too. I put Featured restaurants back on the Home page. Any places you'd suggest adding or removing? I don't plan on putting everywhere in. Just places I'd think of going.

e.g. I didn't put KFC on it because the Galway branch is crap, ditto Pizza Hut. Wasn't too happy with what I got from Kettle of Fish the last few times either.

You think I should put in a category for sit down places like Milanos, Fat Freddies, KC Blakes, Cavas, Bar 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Good idea. Site needs work as you know but the basis is really good.

My suggestion would be to have the opening times or else a feature that only enters restaurants that are open when you click 'try it'.
    Nothing worse than deciding on somewhere and finding out it's closed.

Good idea. Site needs work as you know but the basis is really good.

My suggestion would be to have the opening times or else a feature that only enters restaurants that are open when you click 'try it'.
    Nothing worse than deciding on somewhere and finding out it's closed.

Great suggestion! Thanks I'll try and figure that much out. I have zero web development experience. Only just started trying my hand at it a year ago as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wompa1 wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback too. I put Featured restaurants back on the Home page. Any places you'd suggest adding or removing? I don't plan on putting everywhere in. Just places I'd think of going.

e.g. I didn't put KFC on it because the Galway branch is crap, ditto Pizza Hut. Wasn't too happy with what I got from Kettle of Fish the last few times either.

You think I should put in a category for sit down places like Milanos, Fat Freddies, KC Blakes, Cavas, Bar 8?

Don't think you should leave places out just because you don't like them. Other people might. Otherwise it would be like the biased person on the other thread.
    Think maybe you should put in categories also i.e I would be looking for a vegetarian place and if I didn't know Galway I wouldn't be bothered clicking on all the places to find which ones do my type of food.
    Last point, the mobile version doesn't seem to fit my phone. I have to scroll all over the place in order to read the page.
    Good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Can I suggest The Bentley? Ate there lastnight on a livingsocial voucher which can still be bought, only 14.50 each, yum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Can I suggest The Bentley? Ate there lastnight on a livingsocial voucher which can still be bought, only 14.50 each, yum!!!
    I had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and the food was ok, but there was an unbearable hum of stale beer. Wouldn't go back.

• Advertisement

As narrow minded as it sounds. I was only really making the site for myself. It was a script I had lying around from years ago. I just added some places. I already owned the web storage, so just paid 12 euro for the domain and threw it together.

Was putting it here because others might like it. If yee think you'd use it I'd be all for adding places. I don't live in Galway at the moment. If yee want to suggest places fire ahead. The Bentley wasn't there, when I lived there last

I'll keep working at it over the next couple of weeks and let yee know when I've got it half ways complete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

King Ding in Rahoon has good Chinese food. It tastes pretty healthy for a Chinese, although the last time I wondered if they had just started MSG (I get a headache with a lot of it - even Tayto!) so ask.

Very reasonable though, and fast delivery. They also have a restaurant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Seems a needless solution to a trivial problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

to be honest, I don't see how that would encourage people to change their minds or not be picky as to where to eat. The original problem still stays.

Also, if you are serious about it, you might like to put some proper restaurants in there - what you have at the moment is completely junk food (no offense).

to be honest, I don't see how that would encourage people to change their minds or not be picky as to where to eat. The original problem still stays.

Also, if you are serious about it, you might like to put some proper restaurants in there - what you have at the moment is completely junk food (no offense).

It's in Beta. I will add to it. I will likely have a sit down option and a take out option.

Advertisement