Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael J Fox Back On TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

You have no idea how happy this makes me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I love Michael J. Fox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

dlofnep wrote: »
    I love Michael J. Fox!

Everybody does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Who couldn't love him...

tumblr_m6gaqqceUG1rw7pflo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Good to read. We have enjoyed home appearances on The Good Wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent news.. and superb actor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

He's been in the good wife and it has been great to see him. Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Back to the Present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Call me Al wrote: »
    Good to read. We have enjoyed home appearances on The Good Wife.

Love him on TGW also a spin off show with his character would be great

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

From TV Line

Betsy Brandt has landed the pivotal wife role in Michael
    J. Fox‘s upcoming NBC comedy series.

The single-camera project, which has already been
    greenlit for next fall, is inspired by Fox’s real life and stars him as Mike
    Burnaby, a husband and father of three in New York City juggling the challenges
    of family and career while dealing with Parkinson’s disease. A former lead
    anchor for a local station in NY, Mike decides to go back to work after a new
    medication helps him manage the effects of his illness.

Brandt will play Annie, his tough, blunt, deeply loyal
    wife of 20 years. Although Annie has experienced the halo effect of being
    married to a saint, she hates being celebrated as “the rock” in Mike’s life. She
    gets easily worked-up over small injustices, like parking spot stealers and
    airplane armrest bullies and she’s also a pitbull when it comes to defending her
    kids (played by Conor Romero and Jack Gore).

Kate Finneran and Wendell Pierce round out the cast as
    Mike’s sister and boss, respectively.

^

They're minerals Marie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Delighted, my second favorite actor after Kurt Russell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Always great to see him on TGW. Will keep an eye out for this. Looking forward to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

First time seeing this thread. Michael J Fox is brilliant, I'll watch this, especially with Bunk in it as well!

Amazing to see MJF back - and taking a light-hearted look at his illness!

Basq wrote: »
    Amazing to see MJF back - and taking a light-hearted look at his illness!

To be fair pretty much everything he has done for the past ten years has poked fun at/used his illness for comedic effect.

• Advertisement

To be fair pretty much everything he has done for the past ten years has poked fun at/used his illness for comedic effect.
    Yeah.. but it's difference for the likes of cable for 'Curb' (HBO)..

.. wasn't sure if NBC would really be up "for that".. given how politically correct network TV can be.

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah.. but it's difference for the likes of cable for 'Curb' (HBO)..

.. wasn't sure if NBC would really be up "for that".. given how politically correct network TV can be.

He does a good bit of pulling the piss out of it on The Good Wife. I think it's a fine line to walk but Fox knows what works and I'm looking forward to the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the trailer is terrible, ya know jokes are supposed to be funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mother ****a ! Its bunk !

^ think its looks funny, some good one liners....and MJF is the kinda guy you can watch. I think its brave he takes the pee out of himself, and there is clearly alot of inside jokes of the TV business.

With all the drama at The Today Show in real life i expect alot of poking fun at NBC etc. Will watch.

The Michael J. Fox Show premieres Thursday, Sept. 26, at 9pm in a special one-hour episode before shifting into its regular Thursday 9.30pm slot on NBC plus new cast addition in Anne Heche

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Michael J. Fox Show premieres Thursday, Sept. 26, at 9pm in a special one-hour episode before shifting into its regular Thursday 9.30pm slot on NBC plus new cast addition in Anne Heche

i am out then...loathe the woman :mad:

Candice Bergen and Charles Grodin joins as Mike's parents Source :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

i am out then...loathe the woman :mad:

You have too much time on your hands and/or have issues if you are not going to watch the MJF show because you dont like Anne Heche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I wanted to like this so much but after the first episodes I have I found it painfully cliched and unfunny. I don't think I can make myself go back for more.
    Anyone else watch yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Forgot about this!
    Thanks for the reminder, I'll give the American cousins a shout now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I had been looking forward to this for a very long time. I've just seen the first episode and I was underwhelmed.

I watched one promo for the show and it was a case of "take every single joke from the episode and put it in the promo" so I think that hampered my enjoyment of it.

Everyone is overacting, the jokes don't quite right even though there is some wit to them a lot of the time.

I'll see what I think after the second episode.

Watching this now and enjoying it, but they ruined it for me by putting all the jokes in the promo. Was the promo like 20 minutes long? Because Im about 20 minutes in and it feels like I've not seen anything new.

syklops wrote: »
    Was the promo like 20 minutes long? Because Im about 20 minutes in and it feels like I've not seen anything new.
    Haha, I asked myself the same thing. I was like "how long was that promo I watched...?"

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

I wanted to like this so much but after the first episodes I have I found it painfully cliched and unfunny. I don't think I can make myself go back for more.
    Anyone else watch yet?

I didn't bother to comment as I figured bad words about MJF may not go down well, but it was some of the most disappointing TV I have seen.

• Advertisement

Compak wrote: »
    I didn't bother to comment as I figured bad words about MJF may not go down well, but it was some of the most disappointing TV I have seen.

They ruined its reception by distilling down the first episode into a five minute promo, which contained all the jokes and the one liners.

Edit: I mean if you consider a trailer for a movie would be long at about 3 minutes and thats for a 2 hour movie, a promo which lasted about 3 and a half minutes for a program that is 30 minutes is insane! Thats 10 percent of the episode, and as I said, they distilled out all the funny parts and put it in the promo. In the promo they left out the assistant who cries all the time and the boring son.

Watched the second episode. Enjoyed it a lot more. There were still elements that were a little forced and some of the gags were very by-the-numbers but if it keeps improving it could be a nice watch.

Watched the pilot and reall liked it. I turned the promo off after about 30 seconds do the jokes weren't ruined on me and it helped. The way they made for of Fox's Parkinsons was really great and the high point had to be Pierce's character using Fox's illness to try and get laid.

It's a pretty generic set up and I imagine that we'll see lots of tired plots trotted out every few weeks but there's a warmth to the show that's undeniably charming and I'd watch Fox in pretty much anything. Of all the new sitcoms I've seen this season it's the one that I can see myself giving more than a few chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I think it'll be a runner and a grower. It's a slow, underwhelming start but it has heart, class and warmth and if they hold onto that, I think it'll stick around. Nice to see Mrs. Schraeder on telly post-BB. I love Betsy Brandt!

Yeah, it was only from watching Talking Bad that I realised how funny Brandt is. I think she'll be good in this.

It's a good cast. The kids are good. I recognise the sister from Wonderfalls where she was great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

How have the subsequent episodes gone? Im about to give the pilot a whirl

That was good. Lots of great heart to it and I still smiled at some the jokes even though the best of them were in the promo.

Definitely worthy of another few episodes before I make up my mind but Im leaning towards this as a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm enjoying it so far. Not enough Bunk in the latest episode but good nonetheless.

This is a very mixed show.

On the downside: the oldest son and aunt are terrible characters and Betsy Brandt doesnt do it for me in anything she's in.

On the upside: The daughter is good, Bunk is great and, well, its Michael J feckin' Fox. He's a very likeable actor. I think I'll give this another two episodes to see if its a keeper or not.

Anyone else still watching it?

Not me.. I love MJF but found the first episode too uneven to keep watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm still watching alright and am enjoying it for the most part. I haven't watched this week's episode yet (if there was one - what's going on with US TV schedules this week, a lot of programs weren't on?)

I've yet to give up on the show but close to. Haven't watched the last couple of episodes and genuinely not in any hurry to get caught up. It all just feels so safe and bland without a single original idea or setup.

I haven't watched this week's episode yet (if there was one)

Last night's episode (107) is online Jack

Ive long since bailed on this show and it looks like many others have too. Shame
    The Michael J Fox Show could return for a second season despite declining ratings.

NBC boss Bob Greenblatt said that he would "love to figure out a way to bring [the show] back" at the TCA press tour.

"We're obviously not happy about a 0.6 [in the 18-49 demo] for any show and especially for Michael J Fox," he said.

"We have to see how it plays out for the next few months and then get in the scheduling room and make some hard decisions. It's not anywhere near where we'd like it to be."

Greenblatt added that he is "creatively" proud of both The Michael J Fox Show and the similarly ratings-challenged Sean Saves the World.

"We think they're good shows, and we're really unhappy that we can't find an audience for them," he continued. "So we're going to still work hard to see what we can do on Thursday nights. It is a real, real uphill battle."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a545163/the-michael-j-fox-show-future-uncertain-confirms-nbc-boss.html

I have the last few episodes a go and found it really generic. It comes across as a poor mans Men of a Certain Age only without the wit or insight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement