Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you have drove while drunk?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Just curious about this. Everybody hates people who drink drive but at the same time many of the people who hate it do it themselves.

I drove while over the limit 4 times in my life and that was years ago...I still regret doing it to this day, not because I could have harmed myself but because I could have injured or killed innocent people travelling towards me.

I assume there will be a bit of a difference between rural and urban answers but I'm curious none the less.

So have you done it? Does it bother you that you did it or do you not care or think about it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Did it once 18 years ago. Swore I'd never do it again and have not. Hate that i did it but cant change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

racso1975 wrote: »
    Did it once 18 years ago. Swore I'd never do it again and have not. Hate that i did it but cant change that.

At least you nipped it in the bud so credit where credit is due for that. I live in a rural area and its very quiet but I still don't drive while drunk.

I know at least 5 men who drive while flaming every night of the week. It's wreckless to say the least and gaurds around here know who's doing it but still don't arrest them?

If they did it in a city I'm sure they'd have been put off the road long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Just don't bloody do it. There's too much at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Just don't bloody do it. There's too much at stake.

I agree 100% and as I've said in the post above I have not done it for years and still regret doing it. Friends of mine have been killed by drink drivers so I have no sympathy for anyone who does it and gets caught.

As far as I can see though it still goes on even after all the clampdowns to try and stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think I may have still been a bit drunk this afternoon when driving

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm rural too. we have no local station anymore. So very unlikely people will get done. Like you same tossbags week in and week out do it. Even saw one fella at weekend lashing gargle into and hopin into the car. This after serving a 2 year ban for dui.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

LaVail wrote: »
    I agree 100% and as I've said in the post above I have not done it for years and still regret doing it. Friends of mine have been killed by drink drivers so I have no sympathy for anyone who does it and gets caught.

As far as I can see though it still goes on even after all the clampdowns to try and stop it.

No one is perfect and I respect you for coming on here and admitting your past mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yep, out rural in the early nineties a good few times

Was a different time and different attitudes back then

Do you not remember the slogan going around "if you do, no more then two"
    Now even two is unacceptable but it wasn't back then

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wlzkelly

Nope, but I do see and know people who do it every single day. It is a shame. There's even a dedicated zone in the car park of our local shopping centre some small distance away from the pub which they use to try and avoid detection. The question is, would you report it if you were 100% sure that it was happening?

Have done and would do again. you ask the question as though it is something to be ashamed of?

I'd sleep a lot better ringing the guards then hearing about an innocent life lost or even the drivers life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Oranges.

On a more serious note, wrote off a car while drunk (driving away in a rage of fury from an ex), nobody else involved.

Stupid, stupid, cringe every time I think of it. People have ended their lives, or the lives of others doing similar ****. Terrible to think of it.

Also crashed a car while getting a blowjob but I wasn't drinking then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've never done it, but I know someone that does it regularly. Its sickening.

Everyone makes mistakes, and so long as someone who has done it can accept it was wrong, and not do it again, it isn't too bad. People who do it regularly and show off about it turn my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

good question. A poll might be in order?
    Like some, did it a few times when younger. Hit a curb and blew out my tire last time, thankfully that was the only damage and enough of a warning, have never done it since..
    I've knowingly taken a lift with people who were drinking on nights out also. Felt just as guilty the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

[Quote=[-0-];80311734]
    Also crashed a car while getting a blowjob but I wasn't drinking then.[/Quote]

Christ! That could have very serious!!!! :-)

Back on topic. Drove after three pInts a few years ago. I would have been under the limit but still nervous as hell.

The morning after is probably more dangerous if you were stopped and breathalised, I've been in a pretty poor state a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I went 6 years on the road having never drove whilst drunk and was totally against it. Then I did it 6 or 7 times in the space of a year.

I woke up 1 morning hungover as hell. Spotted my car in the drive and realised I had driven it home (5 miles) and I couldn't remember doing it. That scared me enough to never do it again. Totally irresponsible and something I'm not proud of but I've moved on from that and thankfully didnt hurt myself or anyone else.

That was 5 years ago. It was the wake up call i needed. I will never drink drive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Never have. Closest I have come was having a pint at lunchtime with a colleague who was leaving and driving home at 6 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've never come out of a pub after a few drinks and gotten in the car. However I'm quite sure that there have been a few occasions after a night out that I've been over the limit while driving into work. I've since kept a very close eye on my alcohol intake and used the rough "1 hour per unit" guide (leaving a few hours extra) if I have to drive the next morning.

Has anyone purchased a breathalyzer for those morning after drives?

Never have. Closest I have come was having a pint at lunchtime with a colleague who was leaving and driving home at 6 that day.

You would have been well clear by that stage. 2 units takes roughly 2 hours to process through your system, if you had 3-4 hours after your pint you'd be under the limit if not totally in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Drove plenty of times the next morning after drink. If the cops were out I am 100% sure I would be over the limit.

I do know people who do it constantly. Whenever I go out with them from their house, I make sure I order a taxi. If they bring the car, they will risk a drive home

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I never had access to enough cattle to be a drunk drover but I am guilty of drunken cow tipping a few times.:eek:

Cattle that are drunk droven on public roads are a menace and the practice needs to be stamped out!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

In Ireland prob was over the limit in the am a good few times - but when I lived in the US it was almost commonplace to have a few or more than a few for some people and drive home - some states more stringent than others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

REXER wrote: »
    I never had access to enough cattle to be a drunk drover but I am guilty of drunken cow tipping a few times.:eek:

Cattle that are drunk drove on public roads are a menace and the practice needs to be stamped out!:mad:

I am a bit lossed here what you on about man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

racso1975 wrote: »

Everyone makes mistakes in life, at least you've learned from it. All to many people don't learn, and there seem to be a tendency for Gardai in rural areas to ignore the problem, particularly in regards to older drivers, though that may be changing.

I've never done it, to be honest the thought never occurred to me. In my earlier years of drinking I lived close to a Dart station and several bus routes so it wasn't an issue anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Times have indeed changed for the better re drink driving,I remember all to well the cabaret pubs car parks being packed out with cars every weekend,In many cases then the driver would be bought a few extra shorts because he was driving and giving people lifts home,Crazy **** delighted the way most of the drivers of the today have more responsibility in there thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ElectroJazz

REXER wrote: »

Cattle that are drunk droven on public roads are a menace and the practice needs to be stamped out!:mad:

Are you drunk now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

realies wrote: »
    I am a bit lossed here what you on about man.
    Are you drunk now? :confused:

I know that this is after hours, but such bad use of language hurts my eyes and is as bad as drink driving.:( Posting at 05:45, was the OP drunk, just back in the door when posting with such bad use of language?:confused:

I am a driver.
    I drive my car.
    I drove my car.
    I have driven my car.
    I am driving my car.

I am a drover.
    I drove the cattle to market.

Totally sober but my eyes are still sore after reading the orriginal post.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I think I might have done the afternoon after attending a wedding that had finished up in the residents bar at 5am. It was only a mile I drove - ironically to fetch my car that I'd left at the hotel so I'd not be drink driving - but it scared the living daylights out of me. I don't know if it was the drink that may have been still in my system or sheer exhaustion but I should not have gotten behind the wheel. now I'm much more conscious of how many units of alcohol I'm drinking and how long it takes them to leave my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Never. I drove twice one day while extremely tired - fcuking scary. I don't know how something didn't happen, but not a chance I'd do it again or while drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I only do it when im too drunk to walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭oldmangrub

I haven't. I live beside my local.

Am I imagining it or is driving while stoned becoming a habit? I'm basing this purely from the whiff I sometimes encounter upon entering cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I used to. All the time, it was out in the country, no-one ever got bagged. Then something horrific happened, (I wasn't driving) and I can't stress enough how life changing one silly mistake can be.

Advertisement