Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you have drove while drunk?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Good man.

I paid for what I did so I'm not going to beat myself up oversomething that happened 17 years ago.

I never said you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

realies wrote: »
    Times have indeed changed for the better re drink driving,I remember all to well the cabaret pubs car parks being packed out with cars every weekend,In many cases then the driver would be bought a few extra shorts because he was driving and giving people lifts home,Crazy **** delighted the way most of the drivers of the today have more responsibility in there thinking.
    I am old enough to remember those packed car parks. I also remember crowds of us around a car deciding who would drive home, it usually ended up being the one who only had 5 or 6 drinks !!! I am ashamed to say that on one or two occasions I was the driver. It is amazing that we survived, I shudder when I think of what might have happened.I would NEVER drive now with a drink taken I am delighted that times have changed and that today's drivers are far more responsible. Unfortunately I think there are still a few older drivers out there who still think it is ok to play a round of golf, have a few pints and drive home. I have the greatest respect for the younger drivers I know who are far more mature and responsible. Good thread BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Don't have a car, so no, never done it.

When people talk about "drunk driving", do they mean over the limit? Remember that the limit was lowered very recently. Was it OK to drive at 79mg before, but now a mortal sin to drive at 55mg?

Why is there a different limit for learner, newly qualified, and professional drivers? I didn't know that the length of time you've held a licence had a relation to how your body handles alcohol?

The limit should be standard across the board, and should be based on reactions to a standardised test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I remember getting into a taxi in athenry once and complained about the taxi service the night before, that we had to walk 6 miles home cause no taxis were available.

The taximan says shure you should have brought the car, the guards around here don't give a ****e. This was about 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Good man.

I paid for what I did so I'm not going to beat myself up oversomething that happened 17 years ago.

Galwayguy35 stop entertaining this guy, he is clearly a Garda who feels he needs to paTROLL the internet in his time off.

I see your point and made the same mistake, its well known that people mature and display more responsibility with age.

I just hope he doesnt fall off his high horse while typing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I've been in cars lots of times with drunk and drugged drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Atari Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I believe texting while driving is more dangerous than someone driving as sensibly as they can with 2 or 3 pints in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

As a motorcyclist, I've never been that stupid.

I see your point and made the same mistake, its well known that people mature and display more responsibility with age.

I just hope he doesnt fall off his high horse while typing.

If it's considered being on a high horse not to want to be put in the same bracket as an adult who is not responsable enough to know the dangers of drink driving then I'm happy up here.

As you've gotten personal and abusive in the other part of your post I've had to report it.

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    If it's considered being on a high horse not to want to be put in the same bracket as an adult who is not responsable enough to know the dangers of drink driving then I'm happy up here.

As you've gotten personal and abusive in the other part of your post I've had to report it.

Can you show me where ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I did it once, the morning after, I was still pretty bad. Never again, it was a scary experience.

A scarier experience was driving whilst tired, after doing three night shifts in a row with no sleep. I ended up falling asleep while I was stopped at the lights, It was a lucky escape and I'll most certainly never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Straight after drinking? Nope, no, never.

Would always have 8-12 hours sleep, a fry up, and wait 4-5 more hours before I'd consider driving.

Can you show me where ??

Just read it. It's pretty clear despite your attempt to veil it slightly. I can dig into your post history too and bring out your private and personal life too if you'd like.

I am not trolling, i take this issue seriously. Perhaps if you'd had the same experience with it as i do you would feel the same.

Just read it. It's pretty clear despite your attempt to veil it slightly. I can dig into your post history too and bring out your private and personal life too if you'd like.

I am not trolling, i take this issue seriously. Perhaps if you'd had the same experience with it as i do you would feel the same.

Still not seeing any personal abuse, perhaps you define it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Needs poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I see your point and made the same mistake, its well known that people mature and display more responsibility with age
    The funny thing is that 100% of the drunk drivers I know are OAPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Pace2008 wrote: »
    The funny thing is that 100% of the drunk drivers I know are OAPs.

Where do you live, happy farms old peoples home :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I did it once but only because the driver collapsed. Drove very slowly and made it home okay.
    Was a very stupid thing to do and won't be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I believe it more dangerous to drink tired and/or hungover than drunk.

driving tired you do not have any concentration, that's riskier than DD in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

did it once a good while back and scared the ****e out of myself so never again, drink makes you far too cocky while impairing any natural bit of talent you might have for driving (or anything really), not a good mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Never did. Wouldn't even after one or two - more because of the risk (however small) of being put off the road for being slightly over the limit, not because I'd be a danger.
    Can understand people in rural areas driving after a bit of light drinking though.
    I've driven plenty of times while really tired though, and have never ever felt myself starting to doze off, which must be horrific! :eek:
    I guess it depends how easy or difficult you find it to keep awake. I find it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Recently enough I drove once the morning after drinking... pretty sure I was probably over the limit. Was a long drive too.. but was due home for something so had to in a way. Still gives me shivers.. never again.

Someone mentioned driving while tired too... I did that once, was letting my mother sleep as she was wrecked too, it was only when I realised my eyes had closed for longer than a blink that I freaked out and stopped. Scary as fook. Never again as well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Yourself and myself have disagreed often enough Sean, but I'm with you on this one, never driven while drunk/intoxicated, never will.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of people who admit to it and blame it on being young. No wonder car insurance for young lads is so high.
    no wonder the fatality rate in road traffic incidents is so high too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That would be probably more to do with speed than alcohol I would imagine.

That would be probably more to do with speed than alcohol I would imagine.
    I would imagine that the tooth fairy who lives in the moon made of cream cheese would agree with you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

SocSocPol wrote: »
    I would imagine that the tooth fairy who lives in the moon made of cream cheese would agree with you:D

So you think speed isn't a factor then do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I drove once the morning after a night out because it was a family emergency and I know in my heart and soul if I'd been breathalized I would have blown very close to the limit if not over the limit. For the last few years I've always had a breathalizer in the glove box so I know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

SocSocPol wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it IS more to do with speed.

Advertisement