Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of you have drove while drunk?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I was out last night & stayed in my friends house which is a two minute walk from the pub. The pub is in a rural location & taxis are not easy to come by so quite a few of the locals drink & drive on a regular basis.
    The funny thing is I was probably still over the limit when I drove home this morning. I wasn't hungover, I wasn't tired & I felt normal. Well I was starving but sure I'm always like that the next day. It's not something I'd do on a regular basis but it is kinda sickening that I could get done for the bag after doing the right thing the night before.

Anyway the easier thing you could do is get caught for the bag. The hardest thing you could do us kill someone & seriously injure them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So you think speed isn't a factor then do you?

But would you be travelling at that speed if you were sobre and your judgement was sound? Would you have breaked too late if your reactions were not delayed by the effects of alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I was out last night & stayed in my friends house which is a two minute walk from the pub. The pub is in a rural location & taxis are not easy to come by so quite a few of the locals drink & drive on a regular basis.
    The funny thing is I was probably still over the limit when I drove home this morning. I wasn't hungover, I wasn't tired & I felt normal. Well I was starving but sure I'm always like that the next day. It's not something I'd do on a regular basis but it is kinda sickening that I could get done for the bag after doing the right thing the night before.

Anyway the easier thing you could do is get caught for the bag. The hardest thing you could do us kill someone & seriously injure them.

Did ya have a good night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MagicSean wrote: »
    But would you be travelling at that speed if you were sobre and your judgement was sound? Would you have breaked too late if your reactions were not delayed by the effects of alcohol?

I'm saying young lads these days would be speeding and I don't think too many of them would be drinking to be honest.

In answer to your question of course alcohol slows reaction time in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

It was grand, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

It was grand, thanks!

Good we all need a decent night out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

One night, a couple of years before I learned how to drive, I was riding a bike after having about 3 pints. I thought I was absolutely fine, but the first corner I turned I just fell off the bike. Hopped back on and kept going until the next corner, fell off again. By the time I got around to driving a car there was no way I was going to drink and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Millenium Party.

Crazy, crazy, crazy night and basically the one's who were not falling over or vomiting were nominated to drive cause there were no taxis and not enough places fit to sleep in. There was literally no choice and better me than any of the other folks who could hardly see. Made about 4 trips while absolutely locked but was shitting it the whole time. After that never again.

I swear to god though, I was shitting it big time. Probably 10x more focussed than I would be driving sober to counter the 10000x more likely to crash. If anything I would have been pulled over for driving too slow. If there were any Guards on duty that night. Did I mention how crazy that night was?

I'd say 90% of people on the road that night were locked though and I don't think there was a lot of accidents. Probably all the type of people that felt as guilty and unsafe as I did.

Not that any of the above is an excuse. It was just a night removed from reality. Luckily reality didn't kick me in the balls when the chance was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I hate to drive with anything over a pint* in me, done it once and never again, even it is only up the road 2 minutes. The price of a taxi just means 1 less pint, that's what I say to anyone contemplating it.

*Only done this once with a pint and a bottle of Bulmers I had like an hour previous. Now if I drive I simply do not drink.

Also, the pub I am in, if someone is thinking about doing it we offer them a lift. Thankfully it's extremely rare for someone to drink drive in our place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

the_syco wrote: »
    Straight after drinking? Nope, no, never.

Would always have 8-12 hours sleep, a fry up, and wait 4-5 more hours before I'd consider driving.

Crucial :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I never have but I notice it is becoming increasingly more commonplace recently, especially among younger drivers who would never have done it a few years ago.

Some of these would have recently returned from the US or Australia where it seems drink driving is a lot more prevalent.

The last time I drunk drove was in a private car park not accessible to the public so not illegal. For some reason, I decided to floor it in first gear as I was going around a corner. I did not react properly to straighten up the wheel when the turn was complete and nearly smashed into a wall. I would never have done anything like that sober.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I never drove with any drink in me. In fact I never endangered anyones life during my youth.

What you never had that 2am alcohol induced, raging argument with a girlfriend? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Motorist wrote: »
    What you never had that 2am alcohol induced, raging argument with a girlfriend? :cool:

Sure. I didn't drive though, I just came straight onto boards to post about it. is that not what everyone does after stuff happens to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Where To wrote: »
    I never have but I notice it is becoming increasingly more commonplace recently, especially among younger drivers who would never have done it a few years ago.

Some of these would have recently returned from the US or Australia where it seems drink driving is a lot more prevalent.

Actually, it does seem to be in the US.
    I was in North Carolina recently for owrk, and we were actually warned against taking taxis (!) late on a Friday or Saturday night, as the drivers would be drunk.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've never done it the night of drinking but waking up about 6 hours after drink and driving somehere, I bet if I was tested at a check point I'd be over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

I suppose it’s a good thing that there’s such a universal acceptance that drink driving is simply wrong, but it does annoy me that we’re so simplistic about it.

For example, there are some people who I would trust more if they were marginally over the limit than others if they were marginally under. But the acceptance is that the first person is doing something wrong full stop. Then there’s the fact that what was legal a few years ago might now be illegal (lower limit). The person is the same danger in both instances, but he is wrong now, but was fine a few years ago. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Also, it’s an absolute – you’re over the limit or you’re not. In my view, there’s a big difference between someone who has two pints and drives home and someone who has 6. But, it seems to be the same thing in most people’s eyes.

Finally, talking on a phone and speed are major dangers when driving, but people will say that they do these things with a cheeky smile or proudly proclaim that they made it from A to B in an outrageously fast time. Again, this is fine, but drink driving is simply not?

And for the original question, no I have never drank and driven.

blue note wrote: »
    I suppose it’s a good thing that there’s such a universal acceptance that drink driving is simply wrong, but it does annoy me that we’re so simplistic about it.

For example, there are some people who I would trust more if they were marginally over the limit than others if they were marginally under. But the acceptance is that the first person is doing something wrong full stop. Then there’s the fact that what was legal a few years ago might now be illegal (lower limit). The person is the same danger in both instances, but he is wrong now, but was fine a few years ago. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Also, it’s an absolute – you’re over the limit or you’re not. In my view, there’s a big difference between someone who has two pints and drives home and someone who has 6. But, it seems to be the same thing in most people’s eyes.

Finally, talking on a phone and speed are major dangers when driving, but people will say that they do these things with a cheeky smile or proudly proclaim that they made it from A to B in an outrageously fast time. Again, this is fine, but drink driving is simply not?

And for the original question, no I have never drank and driven.

Yeah but the law takes account of that in the severity of the punishment. There is a sliding scale from a 200 euro fine and points to 3 years off the road depending on the concentration of alcohol in your blood/alcohol/breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Never have driven after more than a mouthful of beer unless you count being under the influence the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Never. Even if I was out the night before it would be late the next afternoon or evening before getting behind the wheel.

Just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭blue note

Never have driven after more than a mouthful of beer unless you count being under the influence the next day.

Haha. I think that is counted! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 strong_damo

Driven while drunk? I've driven while drunk, stoned, buzzing and on coca cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

No, but drove stoned into one of my friend's bosses cars - he nearly got fired.

He never should have trusted me, I was on drugs.

Advertisement