Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Largest WiFi network in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

What would you think is the largest single WiFi network in Ireland?

Do the college campuses or big sites like Intel/HP have a WiFi mesh covering a huge area?

Just working on a large one at the moment (0.24 Km2) and we've been having tea break chats about what might be the biggest ones in the country.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Not sure if number of nodes or area covered is what you are after. Number of nodes seems fairer to me as it does not matter to wifi if you are 10 meters or 15 km away with the right antenna.

i think one of the WISPs in Ireland will probably have the biggest network. Many operate within the unlicensed spectrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Westnet cover most of Mayo, but they use many technologies
    http://www.westnet.ie/coverage/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I guess I meant the largest single area where you could pick up the same WiFi SSID on your typical iPhone/laptop.

That network in Mayo probably couldn't be connected to by a normal laptop, you'd need a dish/antenna on your house which would supply your home WiFi. Is that right?

Surely the transmission power of a normal laptop would be the limiting factor there.

Biggest corporate or academic networks? In square kms?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how many hotspots do Eircom et al have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 iwantbroadband

City of Derry Council have setup a fairly large free wifi network covering much of the city centre, in the lead up to the capital of culture next year.

It uses a Radius based login system to give account holders 60mins free access per day.

http://www.wirelessderry.com/maps/index

• Advertisement
Advertisement