Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad nappy rash

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

DS as you can see above has really bad nappy rash in last few days. What do you do when your baby has this to cure it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends how bad and what's causing it. If it's fungal you need a prescription. See a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

bepa001_bepanthen_ointment_30g_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

It's only happened since he started to take extra iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Seconding the suggesting of trying Bepanthen, its like magical good and the only thing that helped when one of ours developed a very severe rash after combination of teething and a tummy bug. I found rubbing a little cornflour on the skin after each change to make sure it was completely 100% dry helped, left her without a nappy to the air where possible and then used Bepanthen on every nappy change. She was improved within 24hrs.

Whatever is the source of the extra iron in his diet might be affecting his urine, but if Bepanthen doesn't help then see the Dr. Just to add if it is fungal then an over the counter cream from the chemist is available - Canesten is branded and marketed for it nowadays and not purely for the 'birds in the lady gardens' :)

Yeah had him airing himself there for a while then put on the bepanthen and the nappy loosely. thanks all. Will go to doctor tomorrow if no improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go talk to a pharmacist.

Bephanthen never made any difference for us,

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Vasogen cleared up my little fella's nappy rash.

I made sure that he was frequently changed too, and had a bit of bare-arse time to let air get at the rash and help it heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Sudocrem always cleared everything quickly for us, never liked bepanthen just cause I find it so sticky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I have to say I don't like the texture of bepanthen either...I have caldescene, sudocream and bepanthen for the different strength of nappy rash lol.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bepanthen and if it's really bad a 1% Hydrochortizone for a few days... and NO baby wipes.. cotton wool and water only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Second the cotton wool and water, but i use the morhulin cream.. it's a stronger than the bepanthen cream.. full of cod liver oil so nothing gets through it.. it may be teething, the urine is extra acidic when they're teething, but i'd get him checked out anyway.. check with the pharmacist first.. they have a better knowledge than doctors of whats available over the counter and they will know straight away if you need something on prescription. You may save yourself the price of a gp consult.. ;) if they can't help they'll send you straight on to the gp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Daktarin cream is also available over the counter for fungal nappy infections - if it's redness mostly in the creases if skin it's more likely to be fungal - if more over the cheeks of the bum then more likely to be from urine / teething. Ask ur pharmacist tho.

Yep have been using cotton wool and water plus bepanthen today.

He is teething but has been for a while and has 6 teeth. He's had no nappy rash so far with the teeth and it's only started in the last few days after starting him on an iron tonic. Dunno if there is a connection. He is sleeping more as well.

Think I'll bring him to the doc as he doesn't even want to sit now and is in very bad form which is unusual for him. On top of that we are going on hols Tuesday. Thanks all for help

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

My daughter had very bad nappy rash last week. I tried bepanthan (which I usually find good for redness). It didn't seem to do much good. I moved on to morhulin(cod liver oil and zinc). Nothing gets through it ... If u get it on ur hads u have to scrub it off! When that didn't clear the rash after a day or so I knew it was more than just a nappy rash and suspected it was thrush. I used daktarin twice a day with morhulin on top and it was much better after 12 hours and clear in 2 days. I hope this helps ...

Went to doctor and he was prescribed Daktacort.. Hope it helps.

A funny one though the lady in the creche said to use either egg white or cornflour on normal nappy rash... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hi ellsbells, my little one was 5 weeks old when she got very bad nappy rash to the piont she was bleeding when we were wiping her and she was screaming with the discomfort, it was terrible we didnt want to change her, my partners mother happened to drop in, she's had 5 children and shes 6 grandchildren, we told her about our babies poor nappy rash and she changed her nappy, she asked my partner for olive oil, so we gave it to her and as soon as she put the olive oil on her bottom she stopped crying, she told us to use olive oil, at first we were a bit apprehenive using it but the baby didnt cry when changing nappy just a bit on cotton wool, we even used it for cleaning after a poo, and no word of a lie the nappy rash cleared within two days we couldnt believe it, we had tried caldense (cant spell) and bethanthan (cant spell) and they didnt really help it made her worse, if the nappy rash hasnt cleared just try the olive oil for every change and maybe it would work for you too!!!! It really was a lifesaver :).....

Advertisement