Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Month USA visa- does distance learning course count?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi there!!

I went on a j1 last year to Chicago and im basically itching to go back.
    I graduated from UCD last august (2011) and I know I've gone over the 12 months from your grad date limit to apply for the 1year visa. I was on USIT website the other day and saw that fetac level 6 now counts as an eligible course to apply with. I'm working full time now and was thinking of applying for either a fetac level 6 course 2 evenings a week or one on opencollege.ie, which has a registered office in Dublin, in order to be able to apply for the visa next summer. the opencollege one would be distance learning and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this would qualify?? Its something I really want to do and I'm prepared to do another course to be able to go back.

Can anyone offer advice ?? Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US Travel to USA (Living) forum, where visa questions go **

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Trishie09

HEY! I am doing a fetac level 6 major award in business, and like what you're thinking of doing, It;s on a part time basis. I applied for the 12 month J1 visa with usit, as it says that part time students studying to a level 6 major award are eligible. However, I'm not sure if it is the same as the 3 month J1, but I got a call back from them to say that the embassy in dublin has decided not to accept any more level 6 awards. I'm gutted as my long term boyfriend is over there studying a pHD and will be there for at least another 3 years.. :( I can't find anything to say why i'm not eligible for it, not even the embassy have any thread or forum updates about it. I'm beginning to think that usit just couldn't be bothered with non university students? It didn't even help that I was in university before and that I was also on a J1 before!

If you find out anything about it though, please let me know! i'd do anything to get over!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Trishie09 wrote: »
    HEY! I am doing a fetac level 6 major award in business, and like what you're thinking of doing, It;s on a part time basis. I applied for the 12 month J1 visa with usit, as it says that part time students studying to a level 6 major award are eligible. However, I'm not sure if it is the same as the 3 month J1, but I got a call back from them to say that the embassy in dublin has decided not to accept any more level 6 awards. I'm gutted as my long term boyfriend is over there studying a pHD and will be there for at least another 3 years.. :( I can't find anything to say why i'm not eligible for it, not even the embassy have any thread or forum updates about it. I'm beginning to think that usit just couldn't be bothered with non university students? It didn't even help that I was in university before and that I was also on a J1 before!

If you find out anything about it though, please let me know! i'd do anything to get over!

hey sorry its taken so long to get back to you!!! ive been looking up some stuff haha!!

basically by chance i stumbled across go4less faq page.. and they say that distance learning DOES count... even though usit have told me it doesnt... if i was you id go into go4less in dublin and sit down and talk with one of the agents to see what your eligible for. i've emailed go4less there a few mninutes ago and will post what they reply if thats any help to you! :)

Advertisement