Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare

Options
  • 19-08-2012 9:38am

Hi, I have already claimed my tax back there 2 weeks ago and have received my money into the bank. I only just heard about Medicare yesterday and how it can be a nice sum of money If claimed. I'm just wondering can i still claim it back or because I have already received my tax back is it too late? I am on my 1st year WHV.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

What did you pay into medicare

• old_aussie wrote: »
    What did you pay into medicare
    I'm not rightly sure. I don't no much about it or what or even if I have been paying in. I was just told by a friend to claim it back. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I'm not rightly sure. I don't no much about it or what or even if I have been paying in. I was just told by a friend to claim it back. ?

Did you hear that one down in the Cock & Bull?? someone is telling porkies..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

you probably paid the medicare levy, it is deducted directly as part of your payg deduction and you are entitled to get it back in your tax return as us non PR irish are not entitled to medicare, send in an amended return, make sure to claim the exemption for medicare on the form. Given that it is an amended return, you might be asked for the medicare exemption cert by the ATO so look into applying for it. do a search of the tax thread on this forum as it is alll explained in there

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Did you hear that one down in the Cock & Bull?? someone is telling porkies..

He correct in what he's saying. Every pays 1% "tax" for medicare and since he is not entiled to receive any benefits he can claim back this 1%. Also if you earn over $80,000 (I think) per year you are taxed a furthur 0.5% which you can also claim back.

Have a look here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

s.c wrote: »
    He correct in what he's saying. Every pays 1% "tax" for medicare and since he is not entiled to receive any benefits he can claim back this 1%. Also if you earn over $80,000 (I think) per year you are taxed a furthur 0.5% which you can also claim back.

Have a look here.

I take that back then, you learn something new everyday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeh you need to send the levy exemption form off... Easy to fill out.. Requires police signatures on visa and passport copies.

Sent my form off 15 days ago and still waiting!

Looking at $5000 tax refund but will take ages to get it due to waiting for this cert.

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh you need to send the levy exemption form off... Easy to fill out.. Requires police signatures on visa and passport copies.

Looking at $5000 tax refund but will take ages to get it due to waiting for this cert.

You don't need to wait for the cert to put in your tax return. You would need to get it if your return gets investigated.

You don't need to wait for the cert to put in your tax return. You would need to get it if your return gets investigated.

Popped an email to my accountant to see what she has to say! Cheers for the info.

• Advertisement

She said ATO always check Exemption applications if someone is claiming it. Regardless of being audited or not. Best to wait for the certificate to come through instead of having the ATO check for it before its processed.

I'll take her word against yours simply for the fact I'm not pushed for cash. If I was I'd do more digging.

On another note. My exemption is worth $840 of my refund.

She said ATO always check Exemption applications if someone is claiming it. Regardless of being audited or not. Best to wait for the certificate to come through instead of having the ATO check for it before its processed.

I'll take her word against yours simply for the fact I'm not pushed for cash. If I was I'd do more digging.

See here on page 12.

"I have the necessary receipts and/or other records – or expect to obtain the necessary written evidence within a reasonable time of lodging this tax return – to support my claims for deductions and tax offsets."

She is talking out her backside. My girlfriend and I have claimed it for the last 3 years and have never been asked for it. I even got audited last year and they didn't ask for it. They were just concerned about my work deductions. Anyway up to yourself.

See here on page 12.

"I have the necessary receipts and/or other records – or expect to obtain the necessary written evidence within a reasonable time of lodging this tax return – to support my claims for deductions and tax offsets."

She is talking out her backside. My girlfriend and I have claimed it for the last 3 years and have never been asked for it. I even got audited last year and they didn't ask for it. They were just concerned about my work deductions. Anyway up to yourself.

Popped her another email. Cheers mate.

Yup she said it is fine to send it off as you said but it best to wait to have the certificate beforehand in the unlikely event that something causes it to not be granted.

Considering that I am in no rush for the money I have no issue either way. So I'll wait for the cert.

Cheers for the info though.

Advertisement