Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marine Arrested by FBI for Patriotic Facebook Posts under Obama's new NDAA powers. .

• 19-08-2012 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Sceptics have been telling us all the time that this could never happen It was only a matter of time before Barack Obama's new NDAA powers against freedom of speech would be enacted.

Brandon Raub, a US marine was frogmarched off Without his rights been read out for questioning by the FBI, suspected of being a belligerant and threat to national security of the US from his anti government blogging records on his facebook account.

NDAA is an attack on the basic freedoms of America people and detain suspects indefinitely without trial.

Feds retaliate against another critic of the U.S. government.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No different than if I said something while representing my employer. Or posted things on facebook in the same vein. I signed and agreed to a social media policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

No difference??? So your employer would have you arrested and marched off by the FBI for questioning if you posted something negative about them?

Hmmm... One has to wonder why no one has been arrested for the leaks coming out of the White House administration that puts our military and allies in grave danger. Perhaps becasue it wasn't done on Facebook or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Amerika wrote: »
    No difference??? So your employer would have you arrested and marched off by the FBI for questioning if you posted something negative about them?

Absolutely

If someone were to start posting that the day of redemption was coming for all those in the office, add that they were going it alone, you think the employer who has responsibility for others in the office might be slightly concerned?

*bonus - start doing it shortly after 3 mass shootings.

Investigated definitely… hauled off in handcuffs without his rights being read or informed what the charges were… not so much.

And that’s a little bit of a stretch from: "There has been an overwhelming amount of evil enacted and planned against you, your children, and your countrymen. It is great in scope. Your government evil. It is as simple as that. And the calvary is coming."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Investigated definitely… hauled off in handcuffs without his rights being read or informed what the charges were… not so much.

You reading the Salem version or the real version?

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    You reading the Salem version or the real version?

Please point me to the "real version."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

Please point me to the "real version."

Maybe this is a more objective view.

Also not sure what this has to do with NDAA. Looks like he has been committed and placed into psychiatric care. And honestly looking at his Facebook page I can see the reason for this.

timbyr wrote: »

Also not sure what this has to do with NDAA. Looks like he has been committed and placed into psychiatric care. And honestly looking at his Facebook page I can see the reason for this.

Thanks... good read, but I'm really trying to find out if my comment "hauled off in handcuffs without his rights being read or informed what the charges were" was innacurate... which supposedly can be determined in the "real version."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just reading his wall @ https://www.facebook.com/brandon.raub is a lot more tinfoil hat.

Some of his quotes;
    • The Revolution will come for me. Men will be at my door soon to pick me up to lead it. ;)
    • Sharpen up my axe; I'm here to sever heads.
    • You should understand that many of the things I have said here are for the world to see.
    • There are some men who struggle against destiny. And there are Some who Embrace it.
    • This is the picture of the Pentagon, right after our leaders shot a missle into it.
    • This is firefighters talking about the explosive charges placed within the twin towers.
    • The Revolution is here. And I will lead it.

It seems his mom has said;
    He is a decorated US MARINE that served in 2 wars for our country.
    He is being held for psychiatric evaluation to see if he is “fit for society” they will not tell me where he is and they will not return my phone calls.

So I wonder if he was buying much extra ammo recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

timbyr wrote: »
    Just read this, and see that he "does not own a gun", which makes me wonder why he was arrested, and not the other tinfoil hats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is Facebook finally shooting itself in the foot as a Government spy tool?

By letting this happen they are in effect telling people not to post their political views on this and other similar mediums. People will soon come to terms that Facebook is nothing more than a means to build up political profiles of possible dissidents so they can start kicking down doors and carting off subversives to indefinite detention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

It's a little early to blame Obama for this. According to sources, there were complaints and concerns raised to authorities by people whom knew Raub personally. The FBI did not arrest Raub, local police did and took him to a local health institution, all of which is legal under Virginia state laws when someone is acting suspiciously and mentally unstable, and has nothing to do with Federal policy.

If you look at the transcripts of his FB posts, you can see why his friends became concerned; especially if that behaviour was atypical for him previously.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/facebook-court-ruling-share-facebook-admissible-evidence-165545087.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Follow-on post in Slashdot today on this : Link:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

John Whitehead Interviews Brandon Raub.

This is the sane, articulate man who was held in a psychiatric hospital because of his views on 9/11, government corruption and the deletion of freedom.

“Originally, I never imagined that there would be problems to the degree we have or things going on that are easy to find if you are told to go look for them. Very specifically, the rampant abuse of executive orders,” he explained. “It literally gives the president the ability to write his own laws.”

He went on: “What really concerned me was the length of time that we’ve had executive orders on record that will allow the federal government to seize private property, industry, even language denoting labor camps — that’s real language in real executive orders.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

John Whitehead Interviews Brandon Raub.

This is the sane, articulate man who was held in a psychiatric hospital because of his views on 9/11, government corruption and the deletion of freedom.

Psychiatric hospital?

Are you sure he wasn't being held at the Bush's secret child-rape castle in Colorado?
    If you are my friend, you deserve to know the truth. This world is secretly run by a shadow organization of people who among other things enjoy raping children. Some of leaders were involved with the bombing of the twin towers. It was a sacrifice and a complete inside job. Also the Bush's are very sick twisted problems. I believe they have a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years. Think I'm crazy? Think again.

https://www.facebook.com/brandon.raub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Overheal wrote: »
    No different than if I said something while representing my employer. Or posted things on facebook in the same vein. I signed and agreed to a social media policy.

No different? I think you'll find that you are chronically incorrect there, old boy.
    This guy was lifted, dragged off to a mental health facility under the auspices of Government agents of the state. No charge. He was later ordered to be released by a judge who actually understands the law and isn't some clown who says "well, he mighta done this, or that"

You ought to not only get your facts correct, but my recommendation is that you familiarise yourself with some VERY BASIC LAWS.....unless of course you are a member of that ever increasing circle who feels that the law should be determined by public mood rather than legal mandate.

In conclusion, there's a massive hullabaloo about the entire Pussy Riot charade and how their rights were violated for what they said/did. At least they got a trial. This guy never even saw a lawyer. So please, the double standards are now becoming stomach-churning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Absolutely

If someone were to start posting that the day of redemption was coming for all those in the office, add that they were going it alone, you think the employer who has responsibility for others in the office might be slightly concerned?

*bonus - start doing it shortly after 3 mass shootings.

If, If, If, If!!!!
    Are you now advocating detention for thought-crime?
    Are you going to sanction killing someone because you "feel" like they might be "thinking" about buying a gun?

And you scoff at CT'ers!

What exactly is your definition of "freedom" and your definition of "slavery"?

Advertisement