Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with employment reference (accountancy firm)

Options
  • 19-08-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work for a Big Four accountancy firm, and am currently interviewing for a new job.

I know that, when colleagues of mine have left the firm in the past, the only reference they got was one saying that they'd worked for the firm, and their start and finish date. This is the standard reference they give for everyone - it's against their policy to give a personal one.

How is this likely to be viewed by potential employers? And is it standard in the industry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's often the official policy for companies. Try and find someone who will give an positive, unofficial reference. e.g. another manager you might have done some work for.

Advertisement