Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees

Options
  • 19-08-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

new to this so hang on in there, at the back of my home there is waste ground with a large tree whos roots are starting to come into my yard can i chop this tree down, any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No, the waste ground belongs to someone and they could sue you for damages. If you do not knoe who owns it then search here at the land registry to find out who does own the land

https://www.mypropertytitle.ie/praMap.aspx

and contact them for written permission to fell tree.

A similar situation arises should you cut roots and this leads to the demise of the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

new to this so hang on in there, at the back of my home there is waste ground with a large tree whos roots are starting to come into my yard can i chop this tree down, any advice would be great.
    no cant chop down, but you can cut anything that grows into your garden or its airspace ie roots and overhanging branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I would suggest that you dont cut everything at will that enters your garden:

You have no right to damage another persons property and would be sued should you do so. If its a situation where the branches overhang your property then you can prune them back to the boundry as they are a nuisance, returning the branches to the neighbour as they are his/her property, but it would be unwise to prune large branches or roots that could lead to the demise/windthrow of the tree as you would be then liable for damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 amlostforwords

thanks for that, the ground belongs to the Co Council so I best talk to them.

Advertisement