Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money to bring to Canada?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am heading to Calgary in the middle of October and was wondering would 2000 euro be enough to bring over. I know its not much but I have the flights booked already so theres no turning back.

I am hoping to get a job within a week or two once I land. Am I being realistic, I heard its handy enough to get work in Calgary. Also I am willing to do any type of work until I get settled in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

You have to have 2500$ in the bank when going over. 2000 would just be enough, the bare minimum. Bare in mind that you'll probably have to spend at least a week in a hostel, pay first and last months rent etc. Say you stay in hostel for 7 days at 25 dollars a night, thats 175. First and last of 500 a month is 1000. You've spent half your money in the first week without eating / drinking / doing anything. If you don't get work asap then you're ****ed basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

clio_16v wrote: »
    You have to have 2500$ in the bank when going over. 2000 would just be enough, the bare minimum. Bare in mind that you'll probably have to spend at least a week in a hostel, pay first and last months rent etc. Say you stay in hostel for 7 days at 25 dollars a night, thats 175. First and last of 500 a month is 1000. You've spent half your money in the first week without eating / drinking / doing anything. If you don't get work asap then you're ****ed basically

In addition to the good advice above dont forget it could be up to two weeks before you get paid and if you are paid by cheque it could be another week before you see the money hit your account. Not as many places pay by direct deposit as Ireland.
    whats your back up plan if you dont have a job straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jam and spoon

Thanks for the advice. I will have enough money put away to book a flight home if I get into difficulty over there. I was going to put my resume up on kijiji a few weeks before I leave to see how I get on. I was looking at few of the general labour jobs on that site and some of the jobs state "Arrive with your boots to start work immediately". I can hardly imagine its that easy. Is it a lot harder to get work over over there when the recruiters see that your only on a 1 year whv?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Thanks for the advice. I will have enough money put away to book a flight home if I get into difficulty over there. I was going to put my resume up on kijiji a few weeks before I leave to see how I get on. I was looking at few of the general labour jobs on that site and some of the jobs state "Arrive with your boots to start work immediately". I can hardly imagine its that easy. Is it a lot harder to get work over over there when the recruiters see that your only on a 1 year whv?

Tell employers that you're staying in Canada long term and that you're trying to get Permanent Residency. It will most likely take a month to get a job and a few weeks to get a place to stay so budget for that. You're better off staying here for an extra few weeks and saving the extra bit of money to give you a better start over there. You don't wanna come home after a 4 week holiday penniless

Advertisement