Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Financial Assistance, first year?

• 19-08-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello! :)

I'm from Bulgaria, still studying in highschool, but I'm thinking of applying to TCD. I understand that my fees (as a EU national) are free ..
    but I just realised how expensive Dublin is :D

Are there student loans or any kind of financial assistance (for living expenses) I can get? (apart from Student Assistance Fund, which apparantely is available only to Senior Freshman and older students..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Snow joke

Miriel wrote: »
    Hello! :)

I'm from Bulgaria, still studying in highschool, but I'm thinking of applying to TCD. I understand that my fees (as a EU national) are free ..
    but I just realised how expensive Dublin is :D

Are there student loans or any kind of financial assistance (for living expenses) I can get? (apart from Student Assistance Fund, which apparantely is available only to Senior Freshman and older students..)

Since you are from Bulgaria, It would be an idea to check with your local authorities that deal with 3rd level education. It is very hard to get living assistance from the government here. You might also trying to get a loan from your bank as it would be very difficult to get one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Miriel

Okay, thanks :)

Also, do you know how much money do I need (per month, per year) for living expenses? Cause some people say more than 1,000 euro per month, other say 800 ...

Miriel wrote: »
    Okay, thanks :)

Also, do you know how much money do I need (per month, per year) for living expenses? Cause some people say more than 1,000 euro per month, other say 800 ...

Well that would depend entirely on where and how you want to live. I can't give you much information but I thought I'd throw out a few points:

- While your fees may be free, will you be paying extra costs? Irish students without grants generally pay the Registration Fee/Student Contribution of around 2000, and a combined gym membership and student union charge of around 85 euro.
    - The average rent of people I know who moved out to live in a shared apartment is about €350 a month.
    - Transport can be quite expensive, again, this depends on where you live. Another rough average between myself and people I know is 75 euro a month. Dublin does have a good bikes scheme you can pay for for use of public bikes with stations throughout the city, one right outside TCD.
    - Food will depend on what you eat but you can live quite cheaply if you put some effort in. Have a look at tesco.ie or http://aldi.ie/index.htm for an idea of food costs.
    - Nights out can be quite expensive, so if you're planning on an active social life you'll need to bear in mind the price of alcohol etc. I can have a good night out on €35 but I know people who would expect to spend €150.
    - Will the course you're interested in have extra costs? Some courses will require materials/equipment, particularly in the science fields (lab coat, lab manuals, etc) and some will have field trips which can cost a bit.

Advertisement