Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elcb tripping

Options
  • 19-08-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

My elcb keeps tripping intermittently. I suspect it is a fault in my garage. I presume i can install another elcb on the feed to the garage to see if this confirms a fault?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jsd1004 wrote: »
    My elcb keeps tripping intermittently. I suspect it is a fault in my garage. I presume i can install another elcb on the feed to the garage to see if this confirms a fault?

Yes, you could move the garage to its own ELCB (they are generally referred to as RCDs now). This would be a common way to find such a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Go into your garage and unplug a number of appliances from their sockets, if one of these appliances is faulty it will trip your elcb.

If the elcb is tripping intermittently and you are not plugging in/turn on equipment in the garage it may be a case that there has been an ingress of water somewhere. Have you any lights outside the garage? Possible that someone has connected the light to the elcb circuit and the light is now taking in water.

Other possibility is, have you changed any circuit wiring lately within the distribution board or house?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jsd1004

BrianDug wrote: »
    Go into your garage and unplug a number of appliances from their sockets, if one of these appliances is faulty it will trip your elcb.

If the elcb is tripping intermittently and you are not plugging in/turn on equipment in the garage it may be a case that there has been an ingress of water somewhere. Have you any lights outside the garage? Possible that someone has connected the light to the elcb circuit and the light is now taking in water.

Other possibility is, have you changed any circuit wiring lately within the distribution board or house?

No no change of wiring. I swopped out the elcb in case it was faulty so have a spare which i will put to the garage circuit and hopefully that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You might not have the space for the rcd and mcb required for the garage, in that case fit a combined rcbo, which is the two in the one package.

Advertisement