Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On the phone while driving?

• 19-08-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Since we seem to be having a good many road safety threads at the moment, I thought I'd put that question out :
    Do you use your phone while driving?

Poll to come....

Do you use your phone while driving? 190 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Have done, but would not do it again
    32% 61 votes
    I do it all the time, nothing wrong with it
    17% 33 votes
    Only with Bluetooth or other hands-free kit
    26% 51 votes
    Only for texting, obviously...
    23% 45 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

God no.

via iphone @13:13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nope, never! There is no phone call that is EVER going to be that urgent that you can't pull over or call someone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No.. it's too hard to talk while staring at the GPS screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Only when I'm lost and need to call someone for directions:o.

absolutely not, if i need to call someone and ask i'll pull over somewhere safe and stop then ring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've tried it a few times while playing driving video games. 9/10 you get away with it but every so often it does screw you up. So, never ever going to do it in real-life. (Even hands-free!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I often use the phone when driving, I can still pay attention to what is going on around me, don't like people that text while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If I am to drive home now, a 30 minute drive, I am guaranteed to see at least 3 other cars with drivers on the phone. I wish I had such a demanding social life that a phone call cannot wait until I am not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

What I don't understand is those people in flash expensive BMW Mercs or Landowners who use without hands free. If they can spend 50000 to 100000 on a motor they can spend 100 odd on a kit. Double points for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The number of guards who use their mobile while driving is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

They are exempt from the rules of the road while on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Unfortunately I have a job that requires me to answer the phone when it rings, driving or not. Used to use bluetooth when it was built into my car, problem being now is that i always forget to turn the damn thing on, or if I am driving the wifes car and bluetooth is not in the car.

I only ever answer calls in the car, or maybe read a text or email when stuck at lights (which out here is all the time). I am perfectly able to hold a conversation whilst driving, and with driving an automatic I dont need to be changing gears all the time.

Personally I hate to see people that are texting whilst the car is moving, that is deffo far too dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Last night was the first time that i ever drove while on the phone and that was becouse i was totally lost and had to be somewhere 5 mins before hand. So someone was giving me directions over the phone.

Normally wouldn't and if i did and parents caught me i would be taken off insurance

hobochris wrote: »
    They are exempt from the rules of the road while on duty.

Are they exempt from the hazards too? There's no need for them to be on the (handheld) phone while driving. They, more than anyone else should have handsfree kits installed in their vayhickles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Are they exempt from the hazards too? There's no need for them to be on the (handheld) phone while driving. They, more than anyone else should have handsfree kits installed in their vayhickles.

Feel free to send that suggestion to the minister for justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would agree with that.
    Also, most of the time they'd be two to a car. So there is really no need in the world for the driver to be on the phone.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Feel free to send that suggestion to the minister for justice.

Ah come on now. I remember about 6 years ago, the excuse was that they had to use phones in order to avoid radio scanners, and that the introduction of TETRA would bring an end to that need. Presumably they're using their own phones... so why aren't they required to use their own hands-free kits?

I understand the need for Gardai to be exempt from some road traffic laws, like wearing a seatbelt so they can quickly exit the car etc. But driving while holding a phone is clearly a danger not only for the person on the phone, but for other road users. And seeing them casually cruise around on the phone isn't exactly a great example to be setting for young people.. esp considering the amount of pleas from AGS for people not to talk on the phone while driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

No I have no friends and no-one calls me.

I tend not to, or I may pick it up and say I am driving I will call you back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I have done it quite a bit and to be honest I have no issues with it. For me most of the time it's keeping an eye on the gps to make sure im on the right track if I'm going somewhere new rather than answering a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Gardai are exempt from the phone law whilest on duty , So are the fire Brigade, Its in the road traffic act of 2006 section 3.

• Advertisement

I've seen drunk people driving, and I've seen people drive hile on the phone.
    If you asked me who I'd be a passenger with, I'd probably pick the drunk driver.

Why is it socially acceptable to use a phone while driving?

I have done it quite a bit and to be honest I have no issues with it. For me most of the time it's keeping an eye on the gps to make sure im on the right track if I'm going somewhere new rather than answering a call.

We've got a really cheap GPS, but even that will talk to us and tell us when and where to turn off. Why would you need to "keep an eye on it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dar1

People have resorted to pulling over in the hard shoulder of Motorways to take calls. Thats illegal and extremely dangerous. People also do stupid things like stopping in slow lanes because they're too stupid to realise it's a lane and not a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dar1

Are you sure that's not CB radios in Garda cars there exempt from using.Pc Claire Van Deurs Goss, On Channel 4s 999 what's your emergency, putting on lip gloss while driving and talking to the Camera. Yet it's illegal for us to talk on a hands free mobile phone. Is any one else sick of this type of bull****.
    I'm a professional Driver and the amount of Guards and even a Private Gatso van driver I have seen driving with there phones up to there ears is unbelievable. So much so I'm thinking of putting a camera in my car and truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nope, never! There is no phone call that is EVER going to be that urgent that you can't pull over or call someone back.
    But, but, it could be important..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Yes of course I have made a call and taken a call while driving, no ones perfect. I use hands free kit most of the time.
    Some people seem to think its not safe to take a call but it's ok to stop on the road causing an obstruction to everyone else.

Gardai are exempt from the phone law whilest on duty , So are the fire Brigade, Its in the road traffic act of 2006 section 3.
    Yeah, but if anyone else does it it is "dangerous". Which is true, if you cannot physically concentrate on more than one thing as you are mentally deficient. I love the ad where yer man bumps into loads of stuff "because he's on the phone" while walking. Right. Because you are always seeing people fall over stuff while on the phone.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sure you only need one hand to drive. The other hand is free for texting, holding a phone, having a fag or eating a sambo.

But what if you have to change gears? I hear people say.

Well, that's why God gave you knees... coffee in the right hand, knee under the steering wheel, gear change with the left hand. It's a simple manouvre that really should be part of the driving test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I always answer the phone whilst driving and talk away, there is nothing wrong with that, however texting is just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Handsfree kits arent allowed either btw. I know somebody that got pulled over and penalty points for it. He said "but its on a handsfree kit" and was told it doesnt matter.

Sure you only need one hand to drive. The other hand is free for texting, holding a phone, having a fag or eating a sambo.

But what if you have to change gears? I hear people say.

Well, that's why God gave you knees... coffee in the right hand, knee under the steering wheel, gear change with the left hand. It's a simple manouvre that really should be part of the driving test.
    The true test is, fag, coffee, phone, steer and change gear, entering a roundabout, with a dodgy clutch. And a broken wrist..

Handsfree kits arent allowed either btw. I know somebody that got pulled over and penalty points for it. He said "but its on a handsfree kit" and was told it doesnt matter.

Rubbish they are allowed, the offence is holding the phone not talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I used to have a bluetooth motor bike helmet. Mental driving a motor bike and talking its so distracting.

I'm getting some string and hanging the phone from the van roof next to my head. Sorted. I shall call it the "Hands free sh1t."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Seems to be the common believe alright. Im not going to take any chances unless somebody shows me that written in the law books though. Not that I own a handsfree kit anyway.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    I'm getting some string and hanging the phone from the van roof next to my head. Sorted. I shall call it the "Hands free sh1t."

You could just put it on speaker and leave it beside you, lot less trouble.

Seems to be the common believe alright. Im not going to take any chances unless somebody shows me that written in the law books though. Not that I own a handsfree kit anyway.
    The legislation is pretty clear...

.— (1) A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0023/sec0003.html

Edit: Generally if my phone rings, I check who is ringing, and if I know the number, I answer and say "I'm driving, I'll ring ye back". Normally check to make sure no danger around before I answer it though.
    Also what is with the idiots that put their phone on speaker, and then holder it and continue to speak. Mindless idiots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The amount of people I see on the phone every day is shocking; I commute on my bike so I filter pass lots of cars. On the phone, fixing make-up, even reading the fcuking paper!!!

I often wonder where these people are, because when threads like this pop up everybody always states they never engage in these behaviours.

Odysseus wrote: »
    The amount of people I see on the phone every day is shocking; I commute on my bike so I filter pass lots of cars. On the phone, fixing make-up, even reading the fcuking paper!!!

I often wonder where these people are, because when threads like this pop up everybody always states they never engage in these behaviours.
    Filter??? As in weave unpredictably between cars bumping into mirrors? You sir are one reason we need hands free kits in the first place, bicyclists, just one more thing to run over by mistake.. Can bicyclyiststs use a phone while riding??? Does it not distract them??? Someone dull will be along in a minute to quote the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I voted 'I do it all the time, nothing wrong with it'

But I don't believe there's nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dar1 wrote: »
    Pc Claire Van Deurs Goss
    4 post and 3 mentions of Pc Claire Van Deurs Goss.
    Someone is an angry man :D

Filter??? As in weave unpredictably between cars bumping into mirrors? You sir are one reason we need hands free kits in the first place, bicyclists, just one more thing to run over by mistake.. Can bicyclyiststs use a phone while riding??? Does it not distract them??? Someone dull will be along in a minute to quote the law.

I thought he meant a motorbike.

biko wrote: »
    4 post and 3 mentions of Pc Claire Van Deurs Goss.
    Someone is an angry man :D
    He has bad memories of "Bros". Matt stole his burd. He has hated the Goss family ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I do it, guilty.
    Sending texts increases your risks of crashing.
    Anything that distracts you is bad.

IMO drinking coffee is probably worse than talking on the phone, is for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I do it, guilty.
    Sending texts increases your risks of crashing.
    Anything that distracts you is bad.

IMO drinking coffee is probably worse than talking on the phone, is for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Never. I don't have a phone. I understand you can switch phones off so you would never need to answer one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I text and talk on the phone all the time while driving (fast), often while smoking and drinking a coffee at the same time. Its called multitasking. Stopping to take/make a call is in my opinion a waste of time.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

They, more than anyone else, are likely to have done advanced driving courses. They are also likely to see other motorists around them driving in a much slower and more predictable manner, so I'd say the hazards are less than other drivers.

Feathers wrote: »
    They, more than anyone else, are likely to have done advanced driving courses. They are also likely to see other motorists around them driving in a much slower and more predictable manner, so I'd say the hazards are less than other drivers.
    Almost all true, apart from the bit after "They, ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I was going to say you can't miss me as I ride big bikes, headlight always on, loud pipe, then I thought about all the times I heard "sorry mate I didn't see you.

I don't use one myself, but you can get a hands free fitted into a helmet. Fcuk I don't even get any music to listen to. Apart from when I'm on the vespa, my other bike range from 400cc-650cc, they give me enough power to get away from anyone I see on a phone, doing make-up etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement