Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On the phone while driving?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Feathers wrote: »
    They, more than anyone else, are likely to have done advanced driving courses. They are also likely to see other motorists around them driving in a much slower and more predictable manner, so I'd say the hazards are less than other drivers.

I was speaking to a guy who worked for a company who had a contract to install tracking devices in Garda squad cars, so their movements and location could be monitored. The devices were installed, at great public expense, and unceremoniously "uninstalled" by gardai within the day! I guess some people don't like to have their movements monitored too closely.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Pottler wrote: »
    Almost all true, apart from the bit after "They, ...

I'm not saying it's safe for them to do it, but are you saying that you don't notice other drivers driving more carefully when the cops are around? If so, surely it must be statistically safer for them to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The number of guards who use their mobile while driving is astonishing.
    I keep noticing that too, it's crazy how often I see a guard driving while on the phone. I don't see how they've any excuse, if it's official business surely it would be coming through the CB radio? So I'm guessing these are mostly private calls.

I use my phone while driving very rarely and when I do I usually have to hang up because I can't hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I use my phone, but always with a bluetooth ear piece, so easy and only cost about €20, my phone car charger charges the ear piece so hardly any clutter in the car.

Just switch on blue tooth as i walk to the car, and flick on the ear piece before the seatbelt goes on, the phone and the earpiece pair automatically. It only takes seconds....therefore i have zero sympathy for people who get done for use of mobile phone.

I believe the Guards should also be bound to this particular rule at least, its proven that it is unsafe. We all hear the ad about being 5 times more likely to be in an accident when using a phone. Being on duty doesnt make it acceptable. Its their job to assist with the health and safety of the public. They are putting themselves and other road users at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Handsfree kits arent allowed either btw. I know somebody that got pulled over and penalty points for it. He said "but its on a handsfree kit" and was told it doesnt matter.

the law states that you cant hold the device in your hand while driving you CANNOT be done for talking on hands free kit as it is like being done for talking to a passenger the is sitting beside you while driving.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I always do this.

Checking the news, e-mail, reading websites etc... while in traffic.

Very rarely text while actually moving, I can see how it could easily cause a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Nope, never! There is no phone call that is EVER going to be that urgent that you can't pull over or call someone back.

You never know what emergency there might be. And using the phone for calling emergency services or gardai while driving is not illegal.

I have seen people pull into the hard shoulder on motorways to use the mobile. That is more dangerous than just continuing on the motorway while using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I cannot understand people who think that they are not breaking the law by Holding the Phone in their Hand and Think its ok because its on Loudspeaker.
    C'mon get with programme, a twenty euro bluetooth earpiece is a lot cheaper than the fines and the penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Is it an offence to stop in the hard shoulder and take / make a non emergency call ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

1) Garda vehicles are not fitted with handsfree kits, they should be but they aren't so maybe complain to Mr. Shatter about that one?

2) There are some calls that Gardai would prefer not to broadcast all over Tetra and therefore phone the info rather than radio it (my OH has a Tetra unit that broadcasts the entire Division at once on it (though i'm fairly sure he can select just his own station he seems to have it on county wide all the time) would you want sensitive info broadcast to 20+ stations 100+ Gardai

3) I've never actually messed with a Tetra radio but the old radio required you to hold down a button to talk (and keep holding while broadcasting) at least the phone doesnt need that

4) Most Gardai are actually trained to a higher level of driving than your average Joe Soap. (The Chiefs permission is gone the way of the Dodo (around here anyway))

On topic
    I have a Parrot CK3200 in my car which activates automatically when i turn on the engine & have auto answer set up for the phone when on handsfree
    Hubby has a snazzier version in his car but same set up so we only use handsfree when driving my phone is generally in the handbag on the floor, on silent so i don't get distracted by texts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

uberalles wrote: »
    Is it an offence to stop in the hard shoulder and take / make a non emergency call ?

Yes, and its actually more dangerous than just taking a 20 sec call unless you have no multi-tasking skills at all!

uberalles wrote: »

Well it is brainless and stupid on a motorway. More dangerous than continuing driving and taking the call. But thats irish drivers, brainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Odysseus wrote: »
    The amount of people I see on the phone every day is shocking; I commute on my bike so I filter pass lots of cars. On the phone, fixing make-up, even reading the fcuking paper!!!

I often wonder where these people are, because when threads like this pop up everybody always states they never engage in these behaviours.

I'll admit I'm a culprit for doing my make up in the car, in bumper to bumper traffic in the mornings. I never miss a beat though, always move off in time.

The phone is where I lose my concentration. Have had a few near misses from texting, and recently got 2 penalty points and a fine for driving while on the phone. Have invested in a handsfree kit, and any texts that need to go urgently, my phone has a voice to text function.

Learnt my lesson the hard way, from a few close calls and out of pocket after a fine!

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I'll admit I'm a culprit for doing my make up in the car, in bumper to bumper traffic in the mornings. I never miss a beat though, always move off in time.

The phone is where I lose my concentration. Have had a few near misses from texting, and recently got 2 penalty points and a fine for driving while on the phone. Have invested in a handsfree kit, and any texts that need to go urgently, my phone has a voice to text function.

Learnt my lesson the hard way, from a few close calls and out of pocket after a fine!

That was not really the hard way though.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    That was not really the hard way though.

Not quite sure what you're getting at?!

• Advertisement

Not quite sure what you're getting at?!

Learning the dangers of texting, the hard way, would be if it led to a serious accident, not a fine.

Im not being judgemental at all, most of us have probably text sometime when driving.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Learning the dangers of texting, the hard way, would be if it led to a serious accident, not a fine.

Im not being judgemental at all, most of us have probably text sometime when driving.

OK, but I think that would be an extreme case now in fairness!

I think it's better that I learnt from a fine, not an accident, don't you? I did mention I had some very close calls which is what gave me a fright too!

OK, but I think that would be an extreme case now in fairness!

I think it's better that I learnt from a fine, not an accident, don't you?

Yes, but you learnt long before finding out the hard way, which was my point.

My point was not that you should not have learned from a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Pottler wrote: »
    He has bad memories of "Bros". Matt stole his burd. He has hated the Goss family ever since.

So you finally got over you Bay City Roller obsession I see. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

No, it's dangerous enough in a car, but suicidal on a vespa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement