Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma -Accepting Sponsorship or not??

Options
  • 19-08-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi Folks,
    I have a dilemma. I am currently on my first working holiday visa, which expires next February, I am working in my field for a company in Sydney, I am coming to the end of my first 6 months with them and they have informally said that they will sponsor me if I pay the fees and do the paper work myself....

The problem is I have mixed feelings about job, it is a step down from what I was doing back home in Ireland and I find myself really bored half the time in work however they seem to like me. It's a step back in my career rather than a step up but the money is good. If I take sponsorship I wont have to do my 3 months regional work for my second year but it will mean that I will have to stay in a full time job that I'm generally not happy with. The people are lovely but the role is not what I want. If I go fruit picking it will be for the months of nov, dec and jan, probably the best months for living in Sydney and the worst for regional work. If I go fruit picking I can probably afford to pay my rent for my houseshare here in Sydney and then come back in January, start my second year and then hopefully find a better full time job. I rang a recruiter and they seemed to think I was mad for even thinking of not taking sponsorship, would you take it and work in a job you dont really like or risk it and try again for sponsorship in the second year? My long term plan is to always come home to Ireland after 3 years or so.....Would love to hear what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

A bit off the point but it's actually illegal for the employer to ask you to pay 457 costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Of course your recruiter is saying you are mad, he/she is earning money every time you get paid. Or if you are going full time they get a nice $$ bonus. So I wouldn't trust them, but that is just me.

Why don't you fruit pick now? or even at least 1/2 of it
    and surely you could sublet your room for 3 months (at summer time there will be loads of people wanting it, rather than you paying rent)

If you have a chance of a 2nd year visa I would go for that, you are not happy in work, and that probably won't change.

But again this is your decision and yours alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'd go with sponsorship to be honest. Things are definitely getting a little tight down here. I know at least 5 guys on WHVs that have been having a hell of a time trying to get work lately. One who couldn't even get a part time job in an ice cream shop.

There are no guarantees that you will be able to get a job after your fruit picking is done and without funds coming in you could find yourself going home a lot earlier than planned.

A sponsored job gives you a bit of security, money coming in and you can see Aus at your leisure. If you still hate the job in 6 months, look for a new one. You can transfer your sponsorship to a new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I would concur with Feelgood's thoughts. I am in a job (457 visa) that i do not love however I am in a job, alot of people I know are struggling to find work so I am grateful for the opportunity that I have.

After 2 years on 457 visa I can then go for employer sponsored PR which is my intention, only 11 months to go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

jockey#1 wrote: »
    After 2 years on 457 visa I can then go for employer sponsored PR which is my intention, only 11 months to go :-)

You can go for employer sponsored PR at any stage. The only benefit for waiting for 2 years is that you do not need a skills assessment which costs something around $300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

What does it cost an employer to sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

s.c wrote: »
    You can go for employer sponsored PR at any stage. The only benefit for waiting for 2 years is that you do not need a skills assessment which costs something around $300.

Sorry should have specified I don't have 3 years post qualifed experience so I don't meet th criteria just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

zweton wrote: »
    What does it cost an employer to sponsor.

If they have never sponsored before it would be $855. If they are an approved sponsor it would be $435.

These are just the fees payable to immigration. They would also need to pay someone to organise the paperwork. Could be a direct employee or migration agent etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Hi Folks,
    I have a dilemma. I am currently on my first working holiday visa, which expires next February, I am working in my field for a company in Sydney, I am coming to the end of my first 6 months with them and they have informally said that they will sponsor me if I pay the fees and do the paper work myself....

If you don't mind me asking, in what field are you working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Sundy wrote: »
    A bit off the point but it's actually illegal for the employer to ask you to pay 457 costs.

Is this correct? I think this only applies to the cost of the visa itself - ie they can still pass on the costs of the paperwork/immigration agency (if used) etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I do know the benefits of a 457 but I would be cautious about this.

I know of at least 4 people recently who were taken on on sponsorship visas (footed the cost of their sponsorship themselves at the companies request) and then after 9-12 months there was no work for them so they were let go.

When a company asks you to foot the cost yourself they have very little to lose by letting you go so thread carefully with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

6ix wrote: »
    Is this correct? I think this only applies to the cost of the visa itself - ie they can still pass on the costs of the paperwork/immigration agency (if used) etc

I know for certain they have to pay the actual visa fees. Not sure about the agent fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

If you are good at what you do there's a good chance another company will try and sponsor you I reckon! The Settlers Tavern in the Margaret River offered me the missus sponsorship and managerial roles with them but we turned them down as we didn't like the place. At the end of the day you gotta enjoy the work if your going to commit to sponsorship, no point being miserable in work!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Holly_Golightly

Thanks for all your replies and opinions, it really means alot, I'm finding it so hard to make up my mind. I work in design - architecture and interiors (I'm not an architect). If I take the chance of sponsorship I will pay for the visa and also do the paperwork myself, a migration agent would cost me $4000, money I'm not willing to spend just yet....from what I have heard it seems to be common for employers to expect you to foot the bill as they consider it as doing you a favour rather than them reaping the benefits from you being a skilled worker....

When I first arrived back in Sydney I was quite lucky with jobs and got offer 3 jobs in 3 weeks, two of the three companies said sponsorship would not be a problem If I looked after the application.... Either option for me will be a risk I guess....

Option A - taking sponsorship. If I take sponsorship and do the application myself there is a possibility that it could take anywhere from a month to 7 months for my visa to come through, (I hear its generally much quicker and reliable with an agent) this would mean I could end up working on a bridging visa for lets say an average of 4 months and then maybe another 6 months before I find another employer to give me a full time job and sponsorship...which would mean spending 10 months in a job where I am learning nothing and probably forgetting the skills I brought with me. The money is good but it isnt everything.....My job is ok but I never look forward to going in and usually dread the thoughts of it Sunday evening...

Option b - fruit picking. I have a bad 3 months in the sweltering heat picking fruit or working on a farm while Sydney is great in the summer and I miss out on bbqs, the beach, xmas, new years etc. I earn less money if any. I still have to pay my rent for my room in Sydney (altho I will ask my housemates if I can sublet). I come back to Sydney in January and cant find another full time job in my field....although I would be confident I will get contract work...money will be tight but I hope to have saved 10 to 12k before I have to go, if I do decide to go in Nov....

I still do not know what to do!!

Maybe I am being negative but both options now seem risky....

You shouldnt presume you wont enjoy the regional work. We have spent the last two months volunteering in horse studs/farms and it has been brilliant. At least if you do the regional it gives you another year to find a suitable sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Thanks for all your replies and opinions, it really means alot, I'm finding it so hard to make up my mind. I work in design - architecture and interiors (I'm not an architect). If I take the chance of sponsorship I will pay for the visa and also do the paperwork myself, a migration agent would cost me $4000, money I'm not willing to spend just yet....from what I have heard it seems to be common for employers to expect you to foot the bill as they consider it as doing you a favour rather than them reaping the benefits from you being a skilled worker....

When I first arrived back in Sydney I was quite lucky with jobs and got offer 3 jobs in 3 weeks, two of the three companies said sponsorship would not be a problem If I looked after the application.... Either option for me will be a risk I guess....

Option A - taking sponsorship. If I take sponsorship and do the application myself there is a possibility that it could take anywhere from a month to 7 months for my visa to come through, (I hear its generally much quicker and reliable with an agent) this would mean I could end up working on a bridging visa for lets say an average of 4 months and then maybe another 6 months before I find another employer to give me a full time job and sponsorship...which would mean spending 10 months in a job where I am learning nothing and probably forgetting the skills I brought with me. The money is good but it isnt everything.....My job is ok but I never look forward to going in and usually dread the thoughts of it Sunday evening...

Option b - fruit picking. I have a bad 3 months in the sweltering heat picking fruit or working on a farm while Sydney is great in the summer and I miss out on bbqs, the beach, xmas, new years etc. I earn less money if any. I still have to pay my rent for my room in Sydney (altho I will ask my housemates if I can sublet). I come back to Sydney in January and cant find another full time job in my field....although I would be confident I will get contract work...money will be tight but I hope to have saved 10 to 12k before I have to go, if I do decide to go in Nov....

I still do not know what to do!!

Maybe I am being negative but both options now seem risky....

Why not take option A and continue to look for a better opportunity elsewhere where sponsorship is also available? If you are taking care of application yourself and paying fees then you don't really owe them anything so leaving should be easy enough. And if you are good at what you do surely there will be other opportunities in time?

Personally I would rather bide my time in well paid job that I don't particularly like while looking for something else rather than go fruit picking in height of summer and still return in a similar position anyway. What advantage is 2nd whv really, when you can go ahead and apply for other jobs anyway all while gathering (somewhat) relevant local experience in your field? Just my 2 cents worth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ok here's a strategy that might add clarity.

First: Tell your current employer that someone else is interested in sponsoring you and paying all the costs. Tell them the other employer wants an answer in a week.

Then: If they don't counter that offer then they didn't value you but now you've got peace of mind leaving because as they are so uncommitted they could easily drop you at any time. You gain peace of mind, result!

But: If they do counter offer then you actually may be onto something but ensure they cover the cost of your application, you'll have called their bluff and now know that they value you as a staff member but are tightwads about fees etc. (I'd still be wary but at least you've opened a bargaining process that gives you some certainty of where you stand as opposed to where you find yourself now) They also have to pay for your flight home if they let you go so make sure that's understood.

OR

You're young, be happy, don't get too serious, there's plenty of time for that later. Go have mad fun with your friends while your recuperative powers are strong, as you get older you start looking forward to a good nights sleep!
    Seriously, whatever you do, have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

I have near enough the same problem as option b

contract ends with my job on 11 nov (end of 6 months)
    making good money liking my job and good for my cv

I may get offered more work but it will be just a different role meaning another 6 months meaning no second year dont think they will sponsor me.as the company doesnt do it

so i have to go farming dont wanna go in nov as i dont wanna be stuck on a farm over xmas

so basically have to go start of jan as visa runs out mid april

any good places to farm were the heat wont kill me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think you would be a fool to take it. If they don't value you enough to stump up 2 or 3 weeks wages to have you on their payroll they are not worth it.

They get security having you on a 457 as you can't just up and go as easily as a local or someone who is a PR.

Why not head off now, do your regional, it doesn't have to be fruit picking. You may have a blast and meet a whole new bunch of people. Don't be tied to Sydney, there is a big country out there. My best times on a WHV were all spent outside big cities

darcy07 wrote: »
    I have near enough the same problem as option b

contract ends with my job on 11 nov (end of 6 months)
    making good money liking my job and good for my cv

I may get offered more work but it will be just a different role meaning another 6 months meaning no second year dont think they will sponsor me.as the company doesnt do it

so i have to go farming dont wanna go in nov as i dont wanna be stuck on a farm over xmas

so basically have to go start of jan as visa runs out mid april

any good places to farm were the heat wont kill me ?

In January Victoria would be your best bet. It will be warm but nothing like the desert heat of WA or the sticky humid heat of the north. Its even possible to commute from the city to some of the farms outside the city if you don't want to live in the sticks

In and around Mildura there are heaps of fruit farms you should try there. Maybe add the 'Job Shop' and 'Fruit Picking Jobs' on Facebook, they are always advertising fruit picking jobs

• Advertisement
Advertisement