Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved house, am I missing anything?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a new house a few months ago, just finishing off moving now. We are going to rent out the old house.

As I understand it, I need to;

1 - Inform revenue that the house is no longer primary residence, and therefore cancel TRS.

2 - Apply for TRS on new mortgage.

3 - Pay €200 NPPR charge, (if the damn website will ever let me register).

4 - Register with the PRTB (once I list the house for rent).

5 - Inform the bank. I understand this may be optional, depending on the T&C of the mortgage contract. Anyone know how likely they would be to boot me off my tracker if I do tell them or the consequences if I don't?

Have I missed anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

BER Cert required if offered for sale or rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

And regarding the PRTB, you don't register the property as such, but the tenancy. Therefore you cannot register it until tenants have signed a lease or moved in.
    If and when you get new tenants, you will need to register the new tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

NPPR charge is only due if the house is not your PPR on 31st March, so you don't need to do anything until next year. Next year assuming you don't move back in before 31st March you have until 30th June to register and pay it.

You also need to inform your insurance company and switch to a landlord's policy - I have no idea whether this is difficult at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pkiernan wrote: »
    BER Cert required if offered for sale or rent.

I assume it had to be recent? I have one somewhere from when I bought it but it's 6 years old.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And regarding the PRTB, you don't register the property as such, but the tenancy. Therefore you cannot register it until tenants have signed a lease or moved in.
    If and when you get new tenants, you will need to register the new tenancy.

Do I not have to be registered myself before I list it?

mrs vimes wrote: »
    NPPR charge is only due if the house is not your PPR on 31st March, so you don't need to do anything until next year. Next year assuming you don't move back in before 31st March you have until 30th June to register and pay it.

Well I took ownership of the new house in late February and have been kinda half moved for a few months. If I was being a smart arse I actually was living in the new house and the wife still living in the old one at the end of March, as I was staying up there at night for security reasons!

But in reality, it's safer (and more honest) to pay the charge for one of them. I thought the assessment date was the end of June with payment needed by the end of September?

Thanks for the help everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I assume it had to be recent? I have one somewhere from when I bought it but it's 6 years old.

I believe a BER cert last 10 years unless there are substantial changes during that period.
    Do I not have to be registered myself before I list it?

There isn't a register of landlords as such (anyway, you're not a landlord until you let a house out ;)), the PRTB register is of tenancies, not landlords or properties.
    Well I took ownership of the new house in late February and have been kinda half moved for a few months. If I was being a smart arse I actually was living in the new house and the wife still living in the old one at the end of March, as I was staying up there at night for security reasons!

But in reality, it's safer (and more honest) to pay the charge for one of them. I thought the assessment date was the end of June with payment needed by the end of September?

As a married couple can only have one PPR between them, you would actually have to declare that you and your wife separated for a time and I expect the timing would be considered far to convenient to even try it.

The dates are certainly Mar 31st and June 30th though - see here, which unfortunately means you already owe an extra €40 for being 2 months late.

• Advertisement
Advertisement