Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Archives - Pension records - 10 month wait already?

• 19-08-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

I applied for my great-grandfathers pension records in November 2011 and I received a letter back to say that there was a backlog so it would be a while before they could be in touch. I knew already that there would be a delay but its now August (so nearly 10 months later) and still no sign.

Is this normal? Or should I be in touch with them to enquire about the delay?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

I had a similar experience looking for the records of granduncles. Eventually I received photocopies of index cards confirming that they had been granted pensions but no details of their applications. The accompanying letter said that the pension applications are being digitised and are, therefore, unavailable at present. This was subsequently confirmed when I rang the Military Archives. The pension records will be available online at some point but the MA couldn't give a firm date for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

its a pitty you have to wait so long for the records. i got my grandfathers records after about three months maybe i was lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

I had a similar experience looking for the records of granduncles. Eventually I received photocopies of index cards confirming that they had been granted pensions but no details of their applications. The accompanying letter said that the pension applications are being digitised and are, therefore, unavailable at present. This was subsequently confirmed when I rang the Military Archives. The pension records will be available online at some point but the MA couldn't give a firm date for that.

Can I ask was that recently? I'm afraid that's what might happen, after all this waiting!!

Thanks for the reply

its a pitty you have to wait so long for the records. i got my grandfathers records after about three months maybe i was lucky.

Can I ask if you got your records recently? As has been pointed out, I'm afraid I might have been just that bit too late and they've now started digitising records etc.

I'm wondering if my case is totally out of the norm and there is some problem - maybe my request gone missing or something. I might give them a ring and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i got the records about a year ago and was very happy to get them and found those i dealt with in the military archives very plesant and helpful. there is lots of information contained in them and even though you are waiting a long time it will be worth the wait .

• Advertisement

I originally contacted the Dept of Defence pensions people by e-mail in January 2011 and I finally received the reply with the photocopies of the index cards in early-November 2011. If that timescale is any guide, you may be getting a reply soon.
    My phone call to the Military Archives about the pension application records, confirming that they are being digitised, was in June this year. I haven't been in contact since so the story may have changed.
    The fact that the Bureau of Military History witness statements have now gone online (have you check that to see if your relative made a statement?) is a hopeful sign of progress. Maybe the pension records are next? As far as I know, the aim is to have all this information online by the centenary of the 1916 Rising, though I hope they will be ahead of that schedule.

Thanks for that info. The waiting continues I guess!!

My understanding is that initially they will put online the pension applications of those who took part in the 1916 rising, and at a later date, the rest of the applications.

Dursey

Did you get any indication of when they think the records will go online? My granduncles both fought in the Rising so I'm delighted to hear your news. (They both took the anti-Treaty side so it was years before their pensions were awarded. One of the two had died just before the decision.)

I received this mail last December, not confident of the 2012 promised release.

Please keep an eye on www.militaryarchives.ie for updates on the military service pensions project. The project pages will go online at some stage next year.

Alternatively, please write to Mr Pat Brennan, Project Manager, Military Service Pensions Project, Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines, Dublin for an update on the progress of the project. Please note that the records are not available until the online release next year.

• Advertisement

looks like the wait is nearly up, the pension files for 1916 vets are soon to be put online

"The first release of material from this collection will be an online release only, which will be available to view on this website (keep an eye on our News Section in the coming weeks for details about the launch). This release will concern veterans of Easter Week 1916, a few prominent individuals involved during the revolutionary period, along with a sample of the Brigade Activity Reports and other material to help give context to the collection as a whole".

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/document-of-the-month/april

Advertisement