Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont think I can afford fees.

Options
  • 19-08-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am heading to Sligo IT this yr and I know I am eligible for the grant to cover my fees, But I dont think I will have my confirmation letter in time for registration, will they make me pay my fees myself, which I doubt I'll be able to afford, and reimburse me when I get my confirmation letter, or would I be able to go to the college without registering and then register when I my grant comes through?
    pls help :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

dankenshim wrote: »
    I am heading to Sligo IT this yr and I know I am eligible for the grant to cover my fees, But I dont think I will have my confirmation letter in time for registration, will they make me pay my fees myself, which I doubt I'll be able to afford, and reimburse me when I get my confirmation letter, or would I be able to go to the college without registering and then register when I my grant comes through?
    pls help :confused:

just go to registration anyway. tell them you will get grant and have not got letter. should be fine as long as grant does come through or you will get letter to pay fees later on. there is always plenty there with same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think there was a thread on this last year. Just tell them at registration that you have applied for the grant and awaiting your confirmation.

You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dankenshim

thanks a lot guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Are you heading into first year?

Just a warning, depending on your council, and esp. if it is your first year, the grant can take a while to come in. Also, they tend to realize that if you got the grant in a previous year you will get it again, but they can't be so certain when in first year. Also until the reg fee is paid you wont be able to use the library/internet if I remember correctly.

When I was in first year I didn't get my grant until November, due to them wanting an ESB bill to prove my residency (for some reason, they wouldn't accept my lease, other bills, only ESB which was in the landlord's name, not even a letter from the landlord would convince them) The yearsafter that it came in on time.

Just a heads up in case you are also counting on your grant for rent, etc. I had to take out a student loan to cover my reg fees and rent in first year, also needed money for course materials which were expensive for my course. I got the reg fees back with the grant, but again needed the money for college stuff, rent/oil/esb, etc. and am now paying back the loan about 20 per week. But it's up to you, don't stress too much just be aware of the possibilities and that college is more expensive than a lot of people realize.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordey101

I was in third year last year, and it was the first year I was approved a grant. I didn't get anything from the grant until January, I never paid the fee's as I simply couldn't afford to. I was always able to use computers/sat my January exams, so don't stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You should have gotten a letter from SUSI stating you were elibible to be assessed for a grant, when you had to submit all your income evidence - bring this in with you to registration day, it should be sufficient pending the outcome.

Advertisement