Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breadcrumbs

Options
  • 19-08-2012 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there - just wondering if you can use soda bread to make breadcrumbs or should it always be sliced brown/white bread.

It's to make a crumb on vegetarian prawns. Thanks. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Aesthetically I'd always use white bread, not sure if there's any other reason for not using soda bread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Well... pretty food is not my forte anyway. ha ha. I'd just be concerned that the soda breadcrumbs might be too hardy and not get the same crust effect? Could be wrong. Thoughts? Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Well, the drier the better with breadcrumbs, but to be honest I really don't know, I've never heard of anyone doing it.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Well, the drier the better with breadcrumbs, but to be honest I really don't know, I've never heard of anyone doing it.
    Ok cool, thanks. I'm gonna give it a bash and see how it works. Wish me luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

you can use soda, white or brown, I slice it and dry it in the oven first, makes lovely crumbs, or rub soda between hands till crumbs, and then dry in oven,
    it adds lovely flavour,
    good luck with it :)

• Advertisement

sdp wrote: »
    you can use soda, white or brown, I slice it and dry it in the oven first, makes lovely crumbs, or rub soda between hands till crumbs, and then dry in oven,
    it adds lovely flavour,
    good luck with it :)

That's exactly what I ended up doing.:) The crumbs seemed a bit too moist so they went into the oven first. It stuck to the prawns relatively well and there was a unique and interesting flavour from them.

Thanks for your help folks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Vegetarian prawns???

What, like fake prawns? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Prawns that didn't eat other animals, obviously.;)

Shenshen wrote: »
    Vegetarian prawns???

What, like fake prawns? :confused:

Yep - http://www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/ourfood/fish-free-king-prawns/ They're yummy.:)
    Prawns that didn't eat other animals, obviously.;)

That too. ;)

Advertisement