Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Stripping a Lexan body shell

Options
  • 19-08-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Im wondering has anyone used kaliumhydroxide (koh) or any other very strong alcalides to remove paint, im looking for a labour free way of stripping the paint

This job will be done safe in a controled lab at my job, so i know all the safety concerns untrained people will have with these chemicals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

As far as im aware Potassium Hydroxide attacks Lexan. As far as I know any alkali does. I know I tried using NaOH years ago and it left it etched and brittle.
    Theres loads of stories on the net about how to remove paint from a lexan shell (and it depends on what the paint is before you can even have an idea if its removable, different lexan paints are polycarbonate or acrylic), but the best solution I have found is to buy a new shell, they arent expensive. Sure most shells are around 20 quid.

Advertisement