Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

allman brothers question

• 19-08-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

anyone recommend a good allman brothers band live album, came across live at the filmore , would this be a good choice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have the "Live at Filmore" album and I can recommend it. The AB's music is very diverse, but IMO you cant go far wrong with any album that Duane Allman is on.

"Beginnings" ( not a live album) is another great one. There is a slight over lap of tracks between the two though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

thanks , will check them out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Beginnings is a very good recommendation I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

A band which you might also enjoy is Govt. Mule.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ElectricTaurus

Live at Filmore East is the famous one try to get the deluxe version he got also the bonus tracks.

Live at Atlanta Pop Festival it's really good, there are two versions of Mountain Jam one with Johnny Winter

Eat a Peach got couple of live tracks taken from Live a Filmore East.

Also check for Live at the Beacon Theater every year the Allman play a week stretch jam with various guest.

In my opinion the best ones are the latest year with Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule) and Derek Trucks (Derek Trucks Band).

Check also The Derek Trucks Band.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Live at Filmore East is the famous one try to get the deluxe version he got also the bonus tracks.

I hate to be pedantic but the deluxe version, although it has more songs, is poor. For some unknown reason, they remixed the songs and destroyed many of them. Get the original live at the Fillmore with seven songs on it I believe.

And if you like them you should check out the Derek Trucks Band.

thanks for replies, live at fillmore (not DElux version) is on the way from US of A as i type. will see how it goes and order a few more from list.

while im here anyone recommend a good live freddy king recording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

rje66 wrote: »

while im here anyone recommend a good live freddy king recording

"Stayin' Home with the Blues". Great album ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

'In memory of elizabeth reed' and 'whipping post' are high points on 'filmore east', but the whole album is a live classic and sad that duane died three months or so after it's release.

You could also check out 'ludlow garage' not as good as 'filmore east' but the track 'mountain jam' is on it (also on eat a peach(two sides!)) as it's the song thats after 'whipping post' on 'filmore east' that you don't get to hear as it was too long for the album. you should also try and get these all on vinyl it was the heyday for the gatefold
    sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

I'll second the Gov't Mule/Derek Trucks suggestions.

Get Gregg's last solo album too, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 333joemc

If you're thinking of a Derek Trucks Band album try 'Soul Serenade' its an absolute gem, almost more Jazz than blues but superb playing by all the musicians in the band not just Derek's slide playing and a guest appearance by Greg Allman for vocals on the Ray Charles cover Drown in my own tears.

For a good live album check out 'live at the Georgia Theater'

thanks for feed back.
    got live at fillmore and eat a peach. both good.
    will try DTB for next buy.

Advertisement