Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping

Options
  • 19-08-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I know this is a Motorhome and Campervan secetion. I have a caravan but as there is no caravan section I was hopeing someone here might be able to help.

When people talk about Wild Camping, is it acceptably in a caravan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Hi
    Yes why not,i have seen caravans parked in afew of my regular spots, dont let the word "Wild" put you off, i think it wrongly suggests lonely lanes and isolated woods!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Hi,

I know this is a Motorhome and Campervan secetion. I have a caravan but as there is no caravan section I was hopeing someone here might be able to help.

I don't really think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi,

A lot of people who use motorhomes and who speak of 'Wild Camping' are usually just 'parked' like a car and not engaged in any 'camping' activity. See attached pic.

Camping, putting out the tables and chairs, the awning, the washing, water containers, putting down steadies etc. is best left for camp sites.
    Wild Camping is doing the above in the wilderness, usually alone and where it's permitted, otherwise one could be mistaken for a Travellers unauthorised temporary dwelling.

Hi,

Paddy

If you want to pm me for locations your welcome to, some contributors on this forum appear to be not in favour of caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

karmaan wrote: »
    Paddy

If you want to pm me for locations your welcome to, some contributors on this forum appear to be not in favour of caravans.
    bit of a generalization their karmaan were all in this camping lark together
    maybe you could pm me some of them wild spots to !

• Advertisement

Will do ,no bother.

karmaan wrote: »
    Paddy

Why not post them on the 'Camping Locations' of this forum for all to see and also if you would indicate those which are suitable for caravans it would be very useful for our caravanning buddies.

There's nothing stealth about a caravan. I have to laugh because we're all afraid of "travellers" a concept almost unknown on the continent. Most of Europe has whole societies of ordinary people living in vehicles. It's actually hard to not see them in Berlin or along the French Coast etc.
    Sooner everybody lightens up the better I say. Mostly I think people get pissed off because they're still paying their mortgage off while wild campers are sharing the same view for free.
    My advice is be discrete, tidy up after yourself, find different locations every night and respectfully enjoy yourself.

There's nothing stealth about a caravan. I have to laugh because we're all afraid of "travellers" a concept almost unknown on the continent. Most of Europe has whole societies of ordinary people living in vehicles. It's actually hard to not see them in Berlin or along the French Coast etc.
    Sooner everybody lightens up the better I say. Mostly I think people get pissed off because they're still paying their mortgage off while wild campers are sharing the same view for free.
    My advice is be discrete, tidy up after yourself, find different locations every night and respectfully enjoy yourself.

Interestingly us motorhome users are referred to as 'itinerant tourists' in many European documents published in connection with 'our' segment of the tourist market.

The Mainland European equivalent of our 'Travellers' seem not to be as disrespectful of the environment as ours, I have seen many encampments and never witnessed the littering and pollution which we are so accustomed to seeing here, maybe they have a different culture or perhaps there is zero tolerance for such behaviour.

I think it has more to do with respect than zero tolerence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 PaddyGannon

Great advice and thanks.

Advertisement