Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Output Quality

Options
  • 19-08-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently agreed to record my friend's wedding and produce the video for him as a favour. The video was captured in full HD (600D) and looks perfect. I did my editing in the very basic Windows Movie Maker and the HD output option turned out better than I hoped for. The problem lies in when I select the output to DVD option, the quality is so compressed it looks miserable!

So, is there anyway I could 'shrink' the HD WMV file (it's nearly 8gigs) to fit on a regular DVD and keep it to a decent quality? Or what other options do I have?
    I really don't want to re-edit the video again as it took over a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If it's just for this one project and not a solution you'll use again, download a trial of premiere pro and encore from Adobe. Import your video into premiere pro and drag it onto the timeline there. Then save the project.

Open encore and import the saved project, then you'll be able to export a DVD from there. It should be decent quality, I use a 600D for video and encore to make DVDs and it works well. It's still a pretty big step down from full HD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

unfortunately theres no trial version of encore so it wouldn't be possible to author the DVD using that.

you've got 8 gigs of HD footage but a regular DVD holds only 4.7 gigs and can only be used for SD and not HD footage, so you'll need to downconvert it, you could use a trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 to do that ok, it'll need to be outputted in mpeg2 if you use adobe media encoder and make sure you've got max quality ticked.
    You'll then need to get a free DVD authoring package to put in chapters etc. for the final output.

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Just an update. After a bit of research, I downloaded the trial as said earlier and some freeware software called Any Video Converter. Tried the freeware first and pleasantly surprised. It converted the file and compressed it to just under 2gigs, burned it to a DVD and the quality was better than the WMM 4.7gig DVD!

Thanks for all the help anyway folks

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

If you want a sound video converter that will convert to any standard codec, then MPEG Streamclip is your friend. For a free compressor, it's probably the best on the market.

Also, look into changing your editing programme, if you're considering doing more work. With your 600D, I definitely recommend in investing in a good programme. Adobe Premiere Elements is a great package, and for a good price.

There are some free editing suites out there, there's a good thread here discussing those suites.

Advertisement