Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Hold The Door Open For People

• 19-08-2012 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I always try to hold the door open/let someone go ahead of me if they are elderly
    or disabled. I usually get a nod of thanks, no bother.
    Going day to day, I will hold the door open for the next person, like you all. Sometimes though, you hold the door open for another type, and wish you hadn't. Chatting on their mobile, ignoring your gesture. Others marching straight ahead, without making eye contact.
    Frank Skinner was talking about this recently. When he holds the door open, and they ignore him. He calls after them with something like "no need to say thanks then ?. No. Cause you didn't"

Door holding thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Lollers wrote: »
    Frank Skinnler

Wouldn't hold the door for him .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

always get caught holding open for 1, then like 10-15 people come and I'm standing there like gob****e for bout 2mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah all the time.
    It's nice to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes I do and a bit of acknowledgement is appreciated which in the majority of cases one does get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I do if they are right behind me I won't do it if someones far off in the distance.
    It doesn't matter if they are old or disabled I'll do it anyway because I am a nice person. And handsome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah I do. Doesn't take much to keep it open for someone who has a load of shopping or is old or whatever once in while.

There's actually some good buried in me! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Always hold the door open for people, and if someone holds the door open for me I always say thank you and give them a big goofy grin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I do if they are right behind me I won't do it if someones far off in the distance.
    It doesn't matter if they are old or disabled I'll do it anyway because I am a nice person. And handsome.

and extremely modest :)

Modesty isn't wasted on you I see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I pretty much always do. Most people acknowledge it and I asknowledge when someone else does it for me.

Occasionally it can be awkward - how long should you hold it e.g. if the person is 5 or more steps behind? Or when you are following the other person through multiple doors.

Once or twice I have said 'You're welcome' when someone doesn't say Thank You.

The tossers that don't wait for others to get off the DART before getting on are another matter. Especially if they push past the other people waiting to get on. I'll do something passive aggressive like block them from passing or not make room for them etc.

• Advertisement

and extremely modest :)
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Modesty isn't wasted on you I see ;)

Modesty takes up time that I don't have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

wprathead wrote: »
    always get caught holding open for 1, then like 10-15 people come and I'm standing there like gob****e for bout 2mins

You're doing it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

juan.kerr wrote: »

Once or twice I have said 'You're welcome' when someone doesn't say Thanks .

I have said that too, but secretly I know the bastards don't care :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I like to hold it open until they get to the door, then slam it closed and laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Hate when I hold the door for someone who is a fair bit away from the door feel like a tit standing there for ages.

Hate when I hold the door for someone who is a fair bit away from the door feel like a tit standing there for ages.

Then they have to do the awkward fast walk over, and are probably thinking ugh ffs thanks for making me run! I can open the door myself!!
    And youre like, bahahaha run fatty!! :o

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Then they have to do the awkward fast walk over, and are probably thinking ugh ffs thanks for making me run! I can open the door myself!!

You're sick and twisted. I like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Of course, it's just good manners & the fact that I'm naturally sooo nice.

Wasn't there a thread here not so long ago about obesity getting crazy bad?
    I see nothing wrong with this, just doing your bit to keep the fuckers active like.

Props if you get them to break a sweat tbh! :p

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Wasn't there a thread here not so long ago about obesity getting crazy bad?
    I see nothing wrong with this, just doing your bit to keep the fuckers active like.

Props if you get them to break a sweat tbh! :p

You stand there, door in hand...check your watch, look at them. Obvious fake smile, look up at the ceiling, check your watch again, tap your foot.

There'll be skid marks on the floor the way they pelt over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It depends what colour their skin is and what religion I think they might be.

Who doesn't hold open the door for people, its common manners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yes I always have done and will continue to do so but if I /we were to think and analyze to much into it ,we might all become ignoramus's like the people who aren't so polite in public .

You stand there, door in hand...check your watch, look at them. Obvious fake smile, look up at the ceiling, check your watch again, tap your foot.

There'll be skid marks on the floor the way they pelt over!

Oh... You're a pro at this craic I see :o

Colmustard wrote: »

Really? Packing a bit of prejudice there are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I pretty much always do. Most people acknowledge it and I asknowledge when someone else does it for me.

Occasionally it can be awkward - how long should you hold it e.g. if the person is 5 or more steps behind? Or when you are following the other person through multiple doors.

Once or twice I have said 'You're welcome' when someone doesn't say Thank You.

The tossers that don't wait for others to get off the DART before getting on are another matter. Especially if they push past the other people waiting to get on. I'll do something passive aggressive like block them from passing or not make room for them etc.

I generally drag the mannerless pigs back through the doorway and nail their heads to it if they don't kiss my feet for holding it open.

..or that's what I'd do if I grew a pair.:(

Colmustard wrote: »

I think he was jesting and as he said '' who doesn't ? ...it's common manners '' .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Of course, I'm a gentleman of good breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I wasn't been serious, I just don't understand why someone wouldn't hold open the door for the next person. As I said its common manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Yeah i always do, i don't mind if they don't say thank you, it's just something that i have always done.

Latchy wrote: »
    I think he was jesting and as he said '' who doesn't ? ...it's common manners '' .

Awwwwwww. . . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Of course. Why wouldn't you?

Don't be sad! I only hold it open for white males in a suit, otherwise I believe the other scum can open it themselves.

You can have a go at me now! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I always do. It's no real effort and it's a nice gesture I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    Yeah i always do, i don't mind if they don't say thank you, it's just something that i have always done.
    Same as that, I hold it open regardless of age or gender, how or whether people react is up to them.

• Advertisement

Watch that revolving door doesn't hit your ass on the way out :p

Don't be sad! I only hold it open for white males in a suit, otherwise I believe the other scum can open it themselves.

You can have a go at me now! :p

Well I never, in this day and age! Neanderthal!
    Politically correct! Rabble rabble! :D

Taking the moral high ground is a lot more work than I anticipated.

EDIT: Well played Latchy. Until we meet again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes I do.
    Not looking for thanks - I am just hopeful that they in turn will do same for others.
    Call me an optimist.

Well I never, in this day and age! Neanderthal!
    Politically correct! Rabble rabble! :D

Taking the moral high ground is a lot more work than I anticipated.

Pathetic peasant! You're the type of scum that would wake up in the morning and wouldn't even put on a suit to open the bedroom door!

And you think I should hold it open for you!

It's easier for me, mostly cause I was serious :p

Pathetic peasant! You're the type of scum that would wake up in the morning and wouldn't even put on a suit to open the bedroom door!

And you think I should hold it open for you!

It's easier for me, mostly cause I was serious :p

Love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Would always hold a door open for someone and would always thank someone if they did the same for me .

Only last weekend I was coming back from Subway holding a bag of subs and drinks cup in each hand... some guy walked out of the front door of the apartment and practically slammed the door in my face. I was just a couple of steps away and he definately saw me even before he exited the door as it's glass and there's a little walkway up to the front door from the outside.

Ignorant f*uck :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Would always hold a door open for someone and would always thank someone if they did the same for me .

Only last weekend I was coming back from Subway holding a bag of subs and drinks cup in each hand... some guy walked out of the front door of the apartment and practically slammed the door in my face. I was just a couple of steps away and he definately saw me even before he exited the door as it's glass and there's a little walkway up to the front door from the outside.

Ignorant f*uck :mad:

Were they footlong meatball subways? I need to stop thinking about food today, i keep eating, I must have worms :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I always do. People do it for me and I always say thank you. Its just one of those things I thought everybody did. Rarely do I get a rude person who doesnt say thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

kfallon wrote: »
    Were they footlong meatball subways? I need to stop thinking about food today, i keep eating, I must have worms :( :pac:

Mine was the meatball, but only a 6 inch. Can only be enjoyed in the privacy of your own home. Tomato sauce and southwest sauce all over my face. Oh yeah :D

Mine was the meatball, but only a 6 inch. Can only be enjoyed in the privacy of your own home. Tomato sauce and southwest sauce all over my face. Oh yeah :D

:( Jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Of course I do, it is ignorant not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Yes! , I do it automatically:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I always do. It's called manners. I do however expect people to thank me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Generally do, but gets my goat when people sail through without a thanks while you act as a concierge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

yeah, why not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement