Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

I don't do much in science to be honest, Me and my friend just do exam papers and questions from the chapters we have left, sometimes the teacher gives us a LC Physics book to read, the JC course is fairly standard.
    I have yet to do
    -Fuels
    -Plastics
    -Ecology (Kill me now.)
    -Electronics
    I might do them in my own time and do some papers or get a head start on the LC course, just definitions and ****, I can't do the maths until 5th year haha

So, yeah, I'm happy, science is one of those subjects where you don't forget easily :)

ooorr, you have an epic memory?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

ooorr, you have an epic memory?:D

Um, I don't have a photographic memory (if only)
    But I remember Science and Maths formulas better than other subjects xD
    For example, I could learn a people in history in 15 minutes (Variables to the time include, the structure of the answer and if everything has an order.)
    But I could do a chapter in science in 10 minutes, depending on what it is, the physics chapters are the easiest.
    So I have the same memory as anyone else, I try hard though (Never had an average of 11 subjects below 88%. The highest being 96%)
    So, it's boils down to how hard you work, and of course, the extra memory helps a bit :)

Um, I don't have a photographic memory (if only)
    But I remember Science and Maths formulas better than other subjects xD
    For example, I could learn a people in history in 15 minutes (Variables to the time include, the structure of the answer and if everything has an order.)
    But I could do a chapter in science in 10 minutes, depending on what it is, the physics chapters are the easiest.
    So I have the same memory as anyone else, I try hard though (Never had an average of 11 subjects below 88%. The highest being 96%)
    So, it's boils down to how hard you work, and of course, the extra memory helps a bit :)

Of course, it is mostly your own work ethic.. It takes me a while learning things off though. You're like one of my classmates; she can learn off a lot of content in a real short space of time. For me, it depends on what subject it is, then figuring out what method is the best for learning it off. Sometimes I listen to recordings, use study cards or just the simple writing the stuff out. I do think that mindmaps work good for me too. What works best for you?

Of course, it is mostly your own work ethic.. It takes me a while learning things off though. You're like one of my classmates; she can learn off a lot of content in a real short space of time. For me, it depends on what subject it is, then figuring out what method is the best for learning it off. Sometimes I listen to recordings, use study cards or just the simple writing the stuff out. I do think that mindmaps work good for me too. What works best for you?

I make notes of what I have to do, I might post some Work, Power and energy notes up here soon, and Learn it until I know it off.

I'm a visual learner, I say things over and over until I know it.

This changes with maths, for maths I do questions and learn any formulae we may have to use, like the -b formula for Quadratics and stuff :)

I make notes of what I have to do, I might post some Work, Power and energy notes up here soon, and Learn it until I know it off.

I'm a visual learner, I say things over and over until I know it.

This changes with maths, for maths I do questions and learn any formulae we may have to use, like the -b formula for Quadratics and stuff :)

I see. What other subjects do you like?

• Advertisement

I see. What other subjects do you like?

Maths
    Science
    Business (Parts of it are interesting)
    Art
    German (I hate the articles though, des, der, den, die, So much -_-)

They would be the ones I like most.

And you? :)

Maths
    Science
    Business (Parts of it are interesting)
    Art
    German (I hate the articles though, des, der, den, die, So much -_-)

They would be the ones I like most.

And you? :)

I would of liked to keep on art :(
    For me: English, Music, History and French.

I would of liked to keep on art :(
    For me: English, Music, History and French.

Oh god, I hate English with a passion.
    Especially when you are doing shakespeare and you have to read
    ''Thou art' a serpent in it is the hellfires of rome''
    Not an actual quote, but It sums up every sentence. It's impossible to read haha :pac:

Oh god, I hate English with a passion.
    Especially when you are doing shakespeare and you have to read
    ''Thou art' a serpent in it is the hellfires of rome''
    Not an actual quote, but It sums up every sentence. It's impossible to read haha :pac:

Oh no.. I'll have to disagree. I think shakespeare is so interesting, I think the whole subject is. I love studying poetry.

Oh no.. I'll have to disagree. I think shakespeare is so interesting, I think the whole subject is. I love studying poetry.

D:

• Advertisement

D:

Haha, anyways what parts of business do you find interesting? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm the same as you then! :D I love English. SHAKESPEARE FTW!!! ;)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'm the same as you then! :D I love English. SHAKESPEARE FTW!!! ;)

Finally, someone :eek: :D

D: You guys.... but..... D:

Also, could one of you guys answer the laast question in the pop quiz thread?xD

I think he's drama's and sonnets are shear brilliance :') He's just one of those beautiful minded people! :D Then I found out he was bisexual in a era like that, and my respect just got even higher! :rolleyes:

I love poetry as well! Some poems are actually amazing! But, like tbf some of the poetry English teacher's choose are absolutely awful! I'm blessed to have one of those teachers with a passion for poetry and English :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Hey :D Yeah, history is so interesting and I love to write. Nice to find someone who enjoy these subjects too :) I see you do art? :rolleyes: I love art.. even though I didn't keep it on :( I tried to do it outside of school but that meant three times more work and it affected too much of my school work :p

Oh gosh same :'D Writing is just... ah! :) Yep, art! I'm still stuck in a rut about my theme, I just can't seem to find anything to do that's interesting!
    I know, art takes ages to do and get right :rolleyes:
    I spent a whole weekend finishing my prep sheet for summer exams last year :P But it was worth it!
    I do music outside of scholl, I regret not choosing it as my optional subject :rolleyes: But oh well!

I think he's drama's and sonnets are shear brilliance :') He's just one of those beautiful minded people! :D Then I found out he was bisexual in a era like that, and my respect just got even higher! :rolleyes:

I love poetry as well! Some poems are actually amazing! But, like tbf some of the poetry English teacher's choose are absolutely awful! I'm blessed to have one of those teachers with a passion for poetry and English :D

I agree! Woah, I never knew that.. that's amazing.

I get ya, during all of 2nd year we had an awful English teacher. This year we've got a knew one and he's an amazing teacher. Any poetry in particular that you like? :D Do you like to write?

Shakespeare is a boss. Cannot wait for either Macbeth or Othello or whatever the heck we're going to be doing in LC :D

I agree! Woah, I never knew that.. that's amazing.

I get ya, during all of 2nd year we had an awful English teacher. This year we've got a knew one and he's an amazing teacher. Any poetry in particular that you like? :D Do you like to write?
    Ya, he wrote a ton of his sonnets to a man! :) Check out Sonnet 20, it's the most well known of his gay sonnets :L

I was the same in first year, but in 2nd Year we got a new brilliant one! :D She's truly amazing!

I've a really weird kind of taste in poetry, I like a bit of everything! I absolutely love 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven' - Yeats :D It's my all-time favourite! :')

I love writing! :D I wrote a short-story that I'm really proud of last year! I posted it here and got good responses.. I link it here ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79119050&postcount=1

How about you? :D

• Advertisement

Shakespeare is a boss. Cannot wait for either Macbeth or Othello or whatever the heck we're going to be doing in LC :D
    I'm the same! LC English sounds amazing :')

Oh gosh same :'D Writing is just... ah! :) Yep, art! I'm still stuck in a rut about my theme, I just can't seem to find anything to do that's interesting!
    I know, art takes ages to do and get right :rolleyes:
    I spent a whole weekend finishing my prep sheet for summer exams last year :P But it was worth it!
    I do music outside of scholl, I regret not choosing it as my optional subject :rolleyes: But oh well!

Well good luck with choosing one :D Yeah, I really like to take my time with art and not go by deadlines. I decided to just buy a load of paints instead and I go paint in my shed whenever I have time. Fair play for managing all those subjects! Do you like writing any particular types of writing? :)

Ya, he wrote a ton of his sonnets to a man! :) Check out Sonnet 20, it's the most well known of his gay sonnets :L

I was the same in first year, but in 2nd Year we got a new brilliant one! :D She's truly amazing!

I've a really weird kind of taste in poetry, I like a bit of everything! I absolutely love 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven' - Yeats :D It's my all-time favourite! :')

I love writing! :D I wrote a short-story that I'm really proud of last year! I posted it here and got good responses.. I link it here ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79119050&postcount=1

Will check out that sonnet & poem, thank you!

Right now in class we're studying a poet called Lorraine O'Sullivan. I find her writing style really interesting. She's not that well known so I doubt there's much of her material online but I can give you one of her poems tomorrow if you like? :D

I also love to write. I'm gonna start reading your piece straight away ;)

That's deep man, 70/70! :D

Well good luck with choosing one :D Yeah, I really like to take my time with art and not go by deadlines. I decided to just buy a load of paints instead and I go paint in my shed whenever I have time. Fair play for managing all those subjects! Do you like writing any particular types of writing? :)

Exactly! I am possibly the slowest person for finishing something...ever.
    I love buying new materials! :') I got a whole set of soft pastels a while ago and was on cloud nine for a few weeks! You're lucky! My shed is occupied by bikes and paint thinner -.-
    I've always been into creative writing; usually first person narrative, and I love Heaney's poetry (the imagery is just amazing). Currently I'm just reading as much as I can by my favourite authors (Hemingway, Wilde, Joyce, Zola, Maupassant, Flaubert, de Balzac, Plato, Stevenson, Woolf, Colic, etc) to mould my writing style a bit more. I just love everything about English generally :o How about yourself?

I love buying new materials! :') I got a whole set of soft pastels a while ago and was on cloud nine for a few weeks! You're lucky! My shed is occupied by bikes and paint thinner -.-
    I've always been into creative writing; usually first person narrative, and I love Heaney's poetry (the imagery is just amazing). Currently I'm just reading as much as I can by my favourite authors (Hemingway, Wilde, Joyce, Zola, Maupassant, Flaubert, de Balzac, Plato, Stevenson, Woolf, Colic, etc) to mould my writing style a bit more. I just love everything about English generally :o How about yourself?

I'm going to creep in here....
    You are all super dedicated :P

Ahhh no you're not creeping! :D;)
    Thanks, I bet you are too! :p Generally everyone on here wants to work hard and do well in both the JC and the LC and then college.
    Then we'll all have our dream jobs.. hopefully!:D

Will check out that sonnet & poem, thank you!

Right now in class we're studying a poet called Lorraine O'Sullivan. I find her writing style really interesting. She's not that well known so I doubt there's much of her material online but I can give you one of her poems tomorrow if you like? :D

I also love to write. I'm gonna start reading your piece straight away ;)

Can't say I've heard of her! :) Yes, do definitely! I love finding new poetry!

BTW, in case anyone's wondering my story isn't from a personal experience! :L It was inspired by a very strong best friend of mine :')

I'm the same with stationary! I spend hours upon hours every summer deciding what stationary to buy for the year :L

I love Heaney as well! Mid-term Break and Early Purges are my favourites! :D Anything interesting that's really different that you've come across? Anyone else, plan on writing about a book they read themselves on the exam in case something doesn't really work with the one you did in class? :O

Not really! I think we all just have a passion for English :)

Ahhh no you're not creeping! :D;)
    Thanks, I bet you are too! :p Generally everyone on here wants to work hard and do well in both the JC and the LC and then college.
    Then we'll all have our dream jobs.. hopefully!:D
    That's it like! That's the only reason I make an effort at all this school stuff! Most people just think I'm really smart, but tbh, I just try my best and hope for a break and get what I want in the long run. It's all about getting a good life :')

• Advertisement

Haha, my shed was the same until I got in it :D

Wow, that's quite a list! I'll have to check some of them out - any ones in particular you'd recommend? I'm all for discovering new writers, news poets, new artists, new music and musicians. I have millions upon millions of pieces of paper with names on them of people and pieces I want to look up in a small cardboard box in my room and I never have time to have a look through it.

I love personal writing, writing about whatever is in my head at what ever moment. I'm currently reading 'The Celler of Sarajevo', a book which I'm finding really interesting and I would really recommend it. My teacher is constantly recommending books for me to read so I can, as you said "mould my writing style a bit more". You like to read? :)

Advertisement