Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'm currently reading 'The Celler of Sarajevo'

What's it about? :) Without giving much away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

I'm going to creep in here....
    You are all super dedicated :P

You seem really dedicated too, especially science & maths! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Can't say I've heard of her! :) Yes, do definitely! I love finding new poetry!

BTW, in case anyone's wondering my story isn't from a personal experience! :L It was inspired by a very strong best friend of mine :')

I'm the same with stationary! I spend hours upon hours every summer deciding what stationary to buy for the year :L

I love Heaney as well! Mid-term Break and Early Purges are my favourites! :D Anything interesting that's really different that you've come across? Anyone else, plan on writing about a book they read themselves on the exam in case something doesn't really work with the one you did in class? :O

Not really! I think we all just have a passion for English :)

Stationary should be classified as addictive!:D
    He's the best! I love Death of a Naturalist (his best work in my opinion), Exposure, Digging, Blackberry Picking (This poem is genius!), and Requiem for the Croppies.
    I think I'll stick with To Kill a Mockingbird, and yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

That's it like! That's the only reason I make an effort at all this school stuff! Most people just think I'm really smart, but tbh, I just try my best and hope for a break and get what I want in the long run. It's all about getting a good life :')

http://tinyurl.com/8gqcmna
    I'm an artist too ;)
    It's not spam though, tinyurl because original url is long :)

Stationary should be classified as addictive!:D
    He's the best! I love Death of a Naturalist (his best work in my opinion), Exposure, Digging, Blackberry Picking (This poem is genius!), and Requiem for the Croppies.
    I think I'll stick with To Kill a Mockingbird, and yourself? :)
    It should! Can't beat Staples Brand Copies! :D

:O I forgot about Blackberry Picking! I love it! :') Never heard of Death of a Naturalist! I'll look it up! :)

I don't know you see! I think I may have a back-up! The Catcher in the Rye or something! I'd just hate to get a question that you have nothing to write about on! :O

• Advertisement

What's it about? :) Without giving much away ;)

Well, to be honest, I really couldn't tell you much about it even if I wanted to because I've only read the first chapter. (Yep.)
    I really take my time reading. Well it depends on what type of book it is, but for this one I'm really trying to read it slowly and absorb it all. All I could say is that it's based around war in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the main character is a cello player. (Hence, the cellist of sarajevo). :P But it really does have a beautiful opening. It's really mysterious and ambiguous, so even if I had read the first four chapters, by the way the writing style is going, I think I still wouldn't be able to tell you much about it.

Sorry for the crappy answer. I'll tell you more when the story moves on.

http://tinyurl.com/8gqcmna
    I'm an artist too ;)
    It's not spam though, tinyurl because original url is long :)
    Oh that's cool! :D

Haha, my shed was the same until I got in it :D

Wow, that's quite a list! I'll have to check some of them out - any ones in particular you'd recommend? I'm all for discovering new writers, news poets, new artists, new music and musicians. I have millions upon millions of pieces of paper with names on them of people and pieces I want to look up in a small cardboard box in my room and I never have time to have a look through it.

I love personal writing, writing about whatever is in my head at what ever moment. I'm currently reading 'The Celler of Sarajevo', a book which I'm finding really interesting and I would really recommend it. My teacher is constantly recommending books for me to read so I can, as you said "mould my writing style a bit more". You like to read? :)

Woolf. Her writing will change you. The detail, the metaphors, the imagery....
    There's a book of selected works I have which was about twety euros but it was work it! A Rooms of One's Own, Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando are my favourites. If you're into French Literature ( which I cannot live without) read some Zola (Maybe: The Belly of Paris?) and de Balzac ( The Purse is good). Irish writers such as Oscar Wilde and James Joyce are pretty spellbinding too. Have you read The Picture of Dorian Gray? :)
    That's such a good idea because I always forget what authors I want to study next! :P I'll look into it, sounds good!
    Yes! Reading is probably my main hobby :p How about you?

Well, to be honest, I really couldn't tell you much about it even if I wanted to because I've only read the first chapter. (Yep.)
    I really take my time reading. Well it depends on what type of book it is, but for this one I'm really trying to read it slowly and absorb it all. All I could say is that it's based around war in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the main character is a cello player. (Hence, the cellist of sarajevo). :P But it really does have a beautiful opening. It's really mysterious and ambiguous, so even if I had read the first four chapters, by the way the writing style is going, I think I still wouldn't be able to tell you much about it.

Sorry for the crappy answer. I'll tell you more when the story moves on.
    Sounds really interesting! :D Think I might take a look alright! :D

That's it like! That's the only reason I make an effort at all this school stuff! Most people just think I'm really smart, but tbh, I just try my best and hope for a break and get what I want in the long run. It's all about getting a good life :')

THIS. I WANT TO PRINT THIS OUT ON A MILLION FLYERS AND STICK THEM EVERYWHERE AROUND ME. :o
    Some people just don't get it, but sure that's the price you pay I suppose :p

• Advertisement

There's a book of selected works I have which was about twety euros but it was work it! A Rooms of One's Own, Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando are my favourites. If you're into French Literature ( which I cannot live without) read some Zola (Maybe: The Belly of Paris?) and de Balzac ( The Purse is good). Irish writers such as Oscar Wilde and James Joyce are pretty spellbinding too. Have you read The Picture of Dorian Gray? :)
    That's such a good idea because I always forget what authors I want to study next! :P I'll look into it, sounds good!
    Woolf sounds really interesting! :D LOVE Oscar Wilde! Shear Genius! :'D

Can you imagine how shocked a JC English examiner would be if you wrote about a book like these in the JC! :rolleyes:

THIS. I WANT TO PRINT THIS OUT ON A MILLION FLYERS AND STICK THEM EVERYWHERE AROUND ME. :o
    Some people just don't get it, but sure that's the price you pay I suppose :p
    N'aww Shucks :L It's true though! It's why we're here and being honest we should take pride in it! :)

Anyone see the advert for What Richard Did on TV? It looks good enough! :)

Woolf sounds really interesting! :D LOVE Oscar Wilde! Shear Genius! :'D

Can you imagine how shocked a JC English examiner would be if you wrote about a book like these in the JC! :rolleyes:

She is! :') She changed my whole mindset on what good writing really is!

HAHAHA :') I know! I probably wouldn't have it analysed as well as what's required for the JC though :p

She is! :') She changed my whole mindset on what good writing really is!

HAHAHA :') I know! I probably wouldn't have it analysed as well as what's required for the JC though :p
    Suppose like! :L But they'd be expecting TKAM or something and you'd have a book about wars in the East! :rolleyes:

N'aww Shucks :L It's true though! It's why we're here and being honest we should take pride in it! :)

Anyone see the advert for What Richard Did on TV? It looks good enough! :)

Exactly! :')

:O It looks amazing! There are so many good movies coming out, but the Great Gatsby has been put off until next year x.x ugh.

Everything you've mentioned will be going into my box, haha. Thank you very much :D

I used to read. When I was younger, I'd read all my books, then my mum's and then my dad's. But then I began playing music, and I got really addicted to music. I'd spend all my time researching, learning, playing and listening to all different types of music and I still do. My reading and writing kind of fell behind but it's only recently now that I've started to read and write again. I'm enjoying getting back into it :D

Everything you've mentioned will be going into my box, haha. Thank you very much :D

I used to read. When I was younger, I'd read all my books, then my mum's and then my dad's. But then I began playing music, and I got really addicted to music. I'd spend all my time researching, learning, playing and listening to all different types of music and I still do. My reading and writing kind of fell behind but it's only recently now that I've started to read and write again. I'm enjoying getting back into it :D

Awh gosh! :') No problem, I'm just so happy to tell someone else about the little gems I've come across!

That's great! :') Music is such a great creative niche too, I love it! Are you listening to any genre in particular recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Awh gosh! :') No problem, I'm just so happy to tell someone else about the little gems I've come across!

That's great! :') Music is such a great creative niche too, I love it! Are you listening to any genre in particular recently?

haha, this is quite coincidental
    http://soundcloud.com/murtaghofficial/murtagh-generdyn-a-little
    I make music too xD
    But,
    I like
    House
    Film score
    Everything inbetween xD

haha, this is quite coincidental
    http://soundcloud.com/murtaghofficial/murtagh-generdyn-a-little
    I make music too xD
    But,
    I like
    House
    Film score
    Everything inbetween xD

I actually haven't listened to much House before, your mix is good! :)
    I love everything too, from folk to alt. to grunge and sometimes a bit of classical hehe. I play guitar, I'm actually hoping for a Squier Venus after the JC ( my parents promised me that they'll try to secure one if I do well). They're really hard to come by nowadays though, Fender stopped their production in the 80's I think. Courtney Love designed them so they are really badass with their short scale necks :D

Well they're much appreciated!

I've kind of touched on a little classical. But I'm going through a deep love of the blues. Everything to do with the blues. My lord, love it to bits.

I also love all the classics; Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. I love classic rock, alternative rock, garage rock, blues rock. I like folk too. And jazz. And alternative & indie. I like practically everything. :P

And you? :)

• Advertisement

I actually haven't listened to much House before, your mix is good! :)
    I love everything too, from folk to alt. to grunge and sometimes a bit of classical hehe. I play guitar, I'm actually hoping for a Squier Venus after the JC ( my parents promised me that they'll try to secure one if I do well). They're really hard to come by nowadays though, Fender stopped their production in the 80's I think. Courtney Love designed them so they are really badass with their short scale necks :D
    My music taste is the weirdest thing in the world :L

I like a bit of everything! Literally EVERYTHING (Except Jazz :rolleyes: ) I mean like from Vivaldi to Smashing Pumpkins to Imelda May to Lady Gaga to Swedish House Mafia to Slipknot! :O A bit of everything!

Speaking of Classical! Vivaldi's Four Seasons is the best 42 minutes I have ever spent! :')

Well they're much appreciated!

I've kind of touched on a little classical. But I'm going through a deep love of the blues. Everything to do with the blues. My lord, love it to bits.

I also love all the classics; Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. I love classic rock, alternative rock, garage rock, blues rock. I like folk too. And jazz. And alternative & indie. I like practically everything. :P

And you? :)

Speaking of the blues, do you like Rory Gallagher? :)
    Of course, can't beat the classics.
    Sort of the same as you actually! I've become hooked on late 80's/ early 90's underground/ garage grunge music ( Such as Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Hole, L7, Nirvana, Babes in Toyland, Bikini Kill, etc)
    I know this is like an awful question which I hate answering but... What are your favourite bands?

I like a bit of everything! Literally EVERYTHING (Except Jazz :rolleyes: ) I mean like from Vivaldi to Smashing Pumpkins to Imelda May to Lady Gaga to Swedish House Mafia to Slipknot! :O A bit of everything!

Speaking of Classical! Vivaldi's Four Seasons is the best 42 minutes I have ever spent! :')

Imelda May is a pure treasure

OH LORD SMASHING PUMPKINS MY GOD THEY ARE AMAZING!

OH LORD SMASHING PUMPKINS MY GOD THEY ARE AMAZING!
    Would you believe my very uncool Irish teacher informed me of them :rolleyes: And now I'm hooked!!

I really like Of Monsters & Men, there not my usual thing but yeah, it's a bit like Florence and the Machine! :)

Anybody hear of Neon Trees? I <3 them!

Would you believe my very uncool Irish teacher informed me of them :rolleyes: And now I'm hooked!!

I really like Of Monsters & Men, there not my usual thing but yeah, it's a bit like Florence and the Machine! :)

Anybody hear of Neon Trees? I <3 them!

What a cool Irish teacher! :D Do you like their new album, Oceania?
    It's quite good to drift away to, but not as good as their old stuff :(

A few friends of mine are obsessed with Of Monsters and Men, I haven't listened to them yet.

Animal is such a catchy song of theirs :') (Neon Trees ;D)

What a cool Irish teacher! :D Do you like their new album, Oceania?
    It's quite good to drift away to, but not as good as their old stuff :(

A few friends of mine are obsessed with Of Monsters and Men, I haven't listened to them yet.

Animal is such a catchy song of theirs :') (Neon Trees ;D)
    He's actually way cooler than one may first think! :L Only found out about them on like Monday, so I've only been listening to their well-known tracks! :) But I'll check it out! :D

Their song 'Little Talks' is probably the one EVERYONE is talking about now! You'd know it if you heard it probably! ;)

I love them! :') They are actually epic! XD A friend of mine on Boards.ie got me into Bowling for Soup! :) They're amazing as well :D

He's actually way cooler than one may first think! :L Only found out about them on like Monday, so I've only been listening to their well-known tracks! :) But I'll check it out! :D

Their song 'Little Talks' is probably the one EVERYONE is talking about now! You'd know it if you heard it probably! ;)

I love them! :') They are actually epic! XD A friend of mine on Boards.ie got me into Bowling for Soup! :) They're amazing as well :D

Personally I love 1979, Today and Bleed from their old albums!:)

Yeah I probably would! :D

Ack, BFS are great too :')

Personally I love 1979, Today and Bleed from their old albums!:)

Yeah I probably would! :D

Ack, BFS are great too :')
    Wow, guess we're pretty similar in terms of Music tastes then :L :L

• Advertisement

Speaking of the blues, do you like Rory Gallagher? :)
    Of course, can't beat the classics.
    Sort of the same as you actually! I've become hooked on late 80's/ early 90's underground/ garage grunge music ( Such as Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Hole, L7, Nirvana, Babes in Toyland, Bikini Kill, etc)
    I know this is like an awful question which I hate answering but... What are your favourite bands?

I love Rory Gallagher! I've only listened to Nirvana from that list (which are great) but I will surely have a listen to the others one mentioned!

Okay, I like: The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin (JIMMY PAGE), R.E.M., Keane, Johnny Cash, Counting Crows, Radiohead, Bon Jovi, Bon Iver, Van Morrison, Gotye, Eminem, Snow Patrol, The Cranberries, MUSE, Queen, James Blunt, Oasis, Pink Floyd, 4 Non Blondes, Bjork, Iglu & Harty, Kimbra, Lana Del Rey, Robert Pattinson (actually has an insane voice), Empathy, Mono, the Vaccines, Bastille, Regina Spektor, Beethoven, Muddy Waters, Ludovico Einavdi, God is an Austronant, Mumford & Sons, the Rolling Stones, Elvis, u2, Rage against the machine, The xx, The Kinks, The Kills, Iron & Wine, The Coronas, The Strypes, Owen Campbell, The Black Keys, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Leadbelly, Son House, Amy Winehouse, The Who, Guns n' roses, Blind Willie McTell, Howlin' Wolf, The Yardbirds, Robert Johnson... etc.

My most of a: Jack White (The White Stripes, The Dead Weather, The Raconteurs).

Sorry some of them aren't bands xD

Advertisement