Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You should start learning, guitar is actually really easy once you have the basics down :D You'll love the theory too!
    I know I should! :rolleyes: But I never seem to have the time :L Really wanted to learn the piano for a while but gave up hope when nobody I know can play it :(

Anybody ever consider Finland for College? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I know I should! :rolleyes: But I never seem to have the time :L Really wanted to learn the piano for a while but gave up hope when nobody I know can play it :(

Anybody ever consider Finland for College? :)

My sister plays piano, she loves it :p

Finland? Can't say I have! :) What colleges over there are you interested in?

My sister plays piano, she loves it :p

Finland? Can't say I have! :) What colleges over there are you interested in?
    Still considering piano tbh! Just not sure how I should go about it! :rolleyes: and still need to get an actual piano! :L

None in particular! But I mean, Finland has the best education system in Europe and it's education is free! Finland takes a way different approach to education from what I can tell! Teacher-student relationships, for example, are way more informal than here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Still considering piano tbh! Just not sure how I should go about it! :rolleyes: and still need to get an actual piano! :L

None in particular! But I mean, Finland has the best education system in Europe and it's education is free! Finland takes a way different approach to education from what I can tell! Teacher-student relationships, for example, are way more informal than here! :)
    I was thinking
    TCD
    Brisbane
    Some place in america (Maybe Caltech)

I was thinking
    TCD
    Brisbane
    Some place in america (Maybe Caltech)
    Oxford was always the dream for me :') But it's a bit unrealistic!

Definitely UCD or Trinity if I was to stay here though! :D America would be brilliant, but the prices :O

• Advertisement

If you don't have a piano yet, maybe you could get a keyboard and practise on it for a while (really the only difference is that you don't have dynamics or as good as a sound quality). Getting a teacher is probably the best approach, with their experience and everything :)

Sounds good! I wouldn't mind it, but the only thing I'd be worried about would be the language barrier, weather and the lack of craic haha:D

Oxford was always the dream for me :') But it's a bit unrealistic!

Definitely UCD or Trinity if I was to stay here though! :D America would be brilliant, but the prices :O

Exactly :O
    See ye later, off to Galway for the day ;D

If you don't have a piano yet, maybe you could get a keyboard and practise on it for a while (really the only difference is that you don't have dynamics or as good as a sound quality). Getting a teacher is probably the best approach, with their experience and everything :)

Sounds good! I wouldn't mind it, but the only thing I'd be worried about would be the language barrier, weather and the lack of craic haha:D
    Ya, might have a look around the newsagents in town see if there's any adverts for lessons :)

Actually the weather isn't that bad! In the Winter it gets pretty cold alright but in the Summer it can be up to 35 degrees :D Ah I hear the Finnish are mad banter! ;) The language however looks impossible! 15 Cases FFS!! :O

American University prices are ridiculous! However, AFAIK, places like Harvard only expect students to pay what they can afford and they pay the rest or something :confused: Anyone know anything else about this? :)

Ya, might have a look around the newsagents in town see if there's any adverts for lessons :)

Actually the weather isn't that bad! In the Winter it gets pretty cold alright but in the Summer it can be up to 35 degrees :D Ah I hear the Finnish are mad banter! ;) The language however looks impossible! 15 Cases FFS!! :O

American University prices are ridiculous! However, AFAIK, places like Harvard only expect students to pay what they can afford and they pay the rest or something :confused: Anyone know anything else about this? :)

Work hard and go for/apply for scholarships. If you get 600/700 points oxford are not going to refuse you right? Act posh in the interview haha, Oxford would be mad banter xD
    AFAIK In Australia the government give you a **** load of grants to study there ;)

Work hard and go for/apply for scholarships. If you get 600/700 points oxford are not going to refuse you right? Act posh in the interview haha, Oxford would be mad banter xD
    AFAIK In Australia the government give you a **** load of grants to study there ;)
    That's what I plan to do! But easier said then done :L

Really? There's a thought! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Heh, I haven't actually started learning the guitar, but my grandad is teaching me to play it right-handed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/10cqv7/iama_neurosurgeon_ama_but_use_your_brain/
    Take a look at that Nathan, I'm sure you know what reddit is, they asked a load of questions to a Neurosurgeon, you might be interested :P

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/10cqv7/iama_neurosurgeon_ama_but_use_your_brain/
    Take a look at that Nathan, I'm sure you know what reddit is, they asked a load of questions to a Neurosurgeon, you might be interested :P
    I'll take a look at it now :) Thank You! :D

Just finished having a ponder through it there! :) It really is fascinating stuff! :O If anything that AMA gives me more motivation to get into Medicine! :D

Thank You! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

I actually need to start keeping up on here :L I went the the library today and got loads done so I'm delighted! I have a test on the whole Chemistry section on the 25th which is em, lovely :L
    Also, does anyone else feel they aren't studying unless they write it out? I don't feel I did it unless I've summarised it! Anyways, study is going fine. It's hard to keep up with all my extra curriculars and social life aswell as studying!
    Times flying though and it's really scaring me :(
    How's everyone else? :)

gibsoneve wrote: »
    I actually need to start keeping up on here :L I went the the library today and got loads done so I'm delighted! I have a test on the whole Chemistry section on the 25th which is em, lovely :L
    Also, does anyone else feel they aren't studying unless they write it out? I don't feel I did it unless I've summarised it! Anyways, study is going fine. It's hard to keep up with all my extra curriculars and social life aswell as studying!
    Times flying though and it's really scaring me :(
    How's everyone else? :)
    I've been a bit lazy this week :o Taking it easy but I'll get back into to it again Monday onwards! :')

You're dead right about study taking over! I feel like I've no time for anything else! :L It's awful! :O

Time's actually going ridiculously fast! :confused: It's scary!

Here lads, there is like, 70 days or something to Christmas
    ''Woo''

''Woo''
    :O Really? #NeedToGetPresents.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

''Woo''
    :O Really? #NeedToGetPresents.

Don't even talk about Christmas... Pres two weeks after the holidays are over.... Christmas = ruined :(

Don't even talk about Christmas... Pres two weeks after the holidays are over.... Christmas = ruined :(
    Ouch! :O Mine are in February! :D So I get a bit of a break :')

• Advertisement

Ouch! :O Mine are in February! :D So I get a bit of a break :')

Luckyyyy :P all the "we expect you to study over Christmas" lectures are the worst :p

Luckyyyy :P all the "we expect you to study over Christmas" lectures are the worst :p
    I'd hate that! I feel bad for complaining about my February mid-term being wasted now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

How long do you study for? I study for 2 hours Monday to Friday (excluding Thursday which is only half an hour) and about 3 hours on a Saturday... I sometimes try to study on a Sunday too but I get too lazy since the libraries closed and thus I end up like I am now, in front of the computer in my pj's..

MomijiHime wrote: »
    How long do you study for? I study for 2 hours Monday to Friday (excluding Thursday which is only half an hour) and about 3 hours on a Saturday... I sometimes try to study on a Sunday too but I get too lazy since the libraries closed and thus I end up like I am now, in front of the computer in my pj's..
    It differs every week for me! Every Sunday I sit down and write what I want to do during the week. Then I make a timetable around this and give myself blocks of subjects lasting 30 mins each with a 10 mintue break in between! I usually do 4 subjects a night (Mon-Fri) so that's around 2 hours study every night! :) Then on the weekends I just try doing what I didn't get around to during the week that was on my list! :D

MomijiHime wrote: »

I try to study two subjects extra a night as well as homework :) and I follow a science study plan where I look over a mind map of a chapter before I go to bed :) but if I have a big class test, that all goes out the window :P

Hey guys! :) I found my guitar! :D But the lightest string is missing! Anyone know there easily replaced!

Please tell me that this isn't like the most important string in the guitar either :( Also can I start learning to play before getting it fixed? :L

Hey guys! :) I found my guitar! :D But the lightest string is missing! Anyone know there easily replaced!

Please tell me that this isn't like the most important string in the guitar either :( Also can I start learning to play before getting it fixed? :L

I don't know if you can get a single high E string separately, I've always gotten mine in packs :)

You could play it but since you're just starting to learn it wouldn't be great to leave out the notes on e and stuff :L
    It's really easy to put on strings though, you may as well get it done before you start :D

Of course, I don't play the guitar. I have a piano, I don't play that either.
    But I learned music theory to help with producing.
    Learn Music theory, learn some chords, chords which don't use the string you are missing haha.

I don't know if you can get a single high E string separately, I've always gotten mine in packs :)

You could play it but since you're just starting to learn it wouldn't be great to leave out the notes on e and stuff :L
    It's really easy to put on strings though, you may as well get it done before you start :D
    Are the strings expensive? :)

• Advertisement

Are the strings expensive? :)

Well the ones I buy for my acoustic guitar are Elixir and cost about 15 euro :)
    I'm pretty sure all strings are around that mark, unless you want to get more higher end ones or cheaper ones :)

Advertisement