Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2012/2013 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So, I know it's early in the year but have any of you decided whether or not to do Transition Year or skip to fifth year?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Troxck wrote: »
    So, I know it's early in the year but have any of you decided whether or not to do Transition Year or skip to fifth year?
    I think I'm going with TY for a number of reasons. Already, I know I'm going to be in need of a break after studying for the JC. Our TY program is also quite good in the school and the majority take part in it.

The only advantage I can see of going straight into 5th is being younger finishing school, which would be great as I'm on the older side of things (would be 19 doing the LC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

As of now, I don't think I'll be doing Transition Year, purely because of the fact that I don't do well without pressure; I constantly need to be kept on my toes.
    I think if I did TY I'd be a bit lost going straight into an exam year environment.
    That's just me personally though :)
    I know a lot of people that loved it and made their decision on a college course as a result of it!

SeanIAm wrote: »
    I think I'm going with TY for a number of reasons. Already, I know I'm going to be in need of a break after studying for the JC. Our TY program is also quite good in the school and the majority take part in it.

The only advantage I can see of going straight into 5th is being younger finishing school, which would be great as I'm on the older side of things (would be 19 doing the LC).

Well, age certainly shouldn't put you off doing TY, I'll also be 19 doing the LC. If the program is good, do it. I really enjoy it so far for many reasons.

As of now, I don't think I'll be doing Transition Year, purely because of the fact that I don't do well without pressure; I constantly need to be kept on my toes.
    I think if I did TY I'd be a bit lost going straight into an exam year environment.
    I know a lot of people that loved it and made their decision on a college course as a result of it!

Well, in TY you're not under any pressure but you certainly don't do work, just lots or projects that will keep you on your toes, and can be very interesting. Also, you can try subjects not available on the syllabus in your school. This year I'm doing Spanish, Chinese and Applied Maths which are not offered in our school.
    If you're academic there are an abundance of competitions you can enter. Young Scientist and also a Maths one. Then work experience too, plus free time for activities you do now. For example I now have time to learn to make websites properly and enter graphic design competitions. I've also learnt a lot about LC subjects and have a good idea of what to keep on.

I can see why you'd skip TY as you need to be pushed but if you do TY you'll learn to have more responsibilities etc. but I've noticed teachers are much more laid back and much easier to converse with.
    My confidence has also improved so much since September, many people have noticed and people have become friendlier and more mature. Obviously, some are still like 5 year olds but they're also wasters.

I don't want to make you chance your mind but this is just me.

• Advertisement

Well, in TY you're not under any pressure but you certainly don't do work, just lots or projects that will keep you on your toes, and can be very interesting. Also, you can try subjects not available on the syllabus in your school. This year I'm doing Spanish, Chinese and Applied Maths which are not offered in our school.
    If you're academic there are an abundance of competitions you can enter. Young Scientist and also a Maths one. Then work experience too, plus free time for activities you do now. For example I now have time to learn to make websites properly and enter graphic design competitions. I've also learnt a lot about LC subjects and have a good idea of what to keep on.

I can see why you'd skip TY as you need to be pushed but if you do TY you'll learn to have more responsibilities etc. but I've noticed teachers are much more laid back and much easier to converse with.
    My confidence has also improved so much since September, many people have noticed and people have become friendlier and more mature. Obviously, some are still like 5 year olds but they're also wasters.

I don't want to make you chance your mind but this is just me.

Your feedback is much appreciated, as I haven't really discussed it properly with anyone else. :)
    Projects would interest me, but of course just doing projects all year would not be a big factor of a change in my decision.
    In our school, Young Scientists is available to all, (though generally most exam years don't participate for obvious reasons) we also have a NASA project available to all year groups. I've been asked to do both of these, but haven't participated for various reasons. I might partake in the NASA project next year though, as there has been confirmed funding for a further two years. So really competitions wouldn't be a factor for me for doing TY.
    I can see your point about having more time, and of course that's always a good thing :)

That's great, I mean anything that has a positive impact on you is definitely worth a go. Thanks for your input on it, I like to have new ideas and reasons to consider! :D

Your feedback is much appreciated, as I haven't really discussed it properly with anyone else. :)
    Projects would interest me, but of course just doing projects all year would not be a big factor of a change in my decision.
    In our school, Young Scientists is available to all, (though generally most exam years don't participate for obvious reasons) we also have a NASA project available to all year groups. I've been asked to do both of these, but haven't participated for various reasons. I might partake in the NASA project next year though, as there has been confirmed funding for a further two years. So really competitions wouldn't be a factor for me for doing TY.
    I can see your point about having more time, and of course that's always a good time :)

That's great, I mean anything that has a positive impact on you is definitely worth a go. Thanks for your input on it, I like have new ideas and reasons to consider! :D

I know they won't entirely chance your mind but you only see TY negatively on here so I think I should give a positive one.

"I know they won't entirely chance your mind but you only see TY negatively on here so I think I should give a positive one."

Thanks, although I did point out that my opinion is based on my personal feeling on my strengths and weaknesses as highlighted above. As I said, everyone is different and there is no doubt it is a great thing for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I don't have the option! :L Next year will be the very first compulsory TY for my school! Students will be studying their LC subjects and participating in TY activities all in the year :) I'm quite happy with it! The only reason that would put me off TY was the lack of studying and what-not but now I don't need to worry cause I have the best of both worlds really :D
    So. Much. Homework.

:(

How's everyone?

I know! :'( Excited!! XD I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before but my science teacher decided to set up a robotics team this year in school, to compete in the VEX Robotics championships. Anyways, the All-Ireland final was on Friday night and we lost the match by one point :'( </3 But we didn't need to win that anyways cause it's the Overall Best Team award or the 'Excellence Award' we wanted and we got it :D:D:D:D Which means we won a place in the World Finals in Anaheim (Where Disney World Is :O), California next April XD It's so exciting! :O I can't stop smiling! :') The Americans, CIT and UCC all said they'd help fund our tickets and our principal happens to know the CEO of PCH International, Liam Casey or Mr.China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCH_International) and he said he'd also be willing to sponsor us :') I'm seriously over-the-moon. It's the best week ever.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I don't have the option! :L Next year will be the very first compulsory TY for my school! Students will be studying their LC subjects and participating in TY activities all in the year :) I'm quite happy with it! The only reason that would put me off TY was the lack of studying and what-not but now I don't need to worry cause I have the best of both worlds really :D

I know! :'( Excited!! XD I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before but my science teacher decided to set up a robotics team this year in school, to compete in the VEX Robotics championships. Anyways, the All-Ireland final was on Friday night and we lost the match by one point :'( </3 But we didn't need to win that anyways cause it's the Overall Best Team award or the 'Excellence Award' we wanted and we got it :D:D:D:D Which means we won a place in the World Finals in Anaheim (Where Disney World Is :O), California next April XD It's so exciting! :O I can't stop smiling! :') The Americans, CIT and UCC all said they'd help fund our tickets and our principal happens to know the CEO of PCH International, Liam Casey or Mr.China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCH_International) and he said he'd also be willing to sponsor us :') I'm seriously over-the-moon. It's the best week ever.

Well done! :D I bet you're super excited, I know I would be!
    You lucky thing, California! :D Have you ever been to America before?

• Advertisement

I'm literally over the moon! :D :O It's so exciting!! I know! It's right beside Disney World and it's only 25 minutes from LA! :') Nope but I've a ton of family over there :D How about you? Ever been? :)

I'm literally over the moon! :D :O It's so exciting!! I know! It's right beside Disney World and it's only 25 minutes from LA! :') Nope but I've a ton of family over there :D How about you? Ever been? :)

:D Can you smuggle me into America?!:rolleyes:
    No, but I really REALLY want to go :) It would be such a great cultural experience, and they have twizzlers haha :P

:D Can you smuggle me into America?!:rolleyes:
    No, but I really REALLY want to go :) It would be such a great cultural experience, and they have twizzlers haha :P

Think I might run into some issues at customs if I do :rolleyes: :L

I'm so excited it's going to be amazing :D

Think I might run into some issues at customs if I do :rolleyes: :L

I'm so excited it's going to be amazing :D

Quite possibly haha :L :D

You have to tell us all about it afterwards ;D

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭II 2FAST2C II

Well how far everyone one in their studies as for m y self lol went too lazy from Mid term just got sick of it nut so far done this much

English(H)- Doing all homework that teacher gives us, My way of studying lol cannot be arsed and anyways in my perspective I do not think you can even study for English but despite all that i will be getting a D i am absolute crap at it i got 40 (D) in summer and 39(E)Fail in mid term my teacher marks it sooooooo hard no one in the whole school got an A from her lol

Maths(H)-Regularly doing homework and going back over maths exam qs from 2001-2012 over and over again from paper 1 will start doing paper 2 in christmas

Science(H)-Finished Chemistry Course right now just learning/revising chemistry exam Qs. 2012-2006 to have a basic idea of the Qs. that will be asked

Geography(H)- 1st year Geography Done

History(H)- 1st year 2nd year 3rd year(upto end of ww2,Teacher said there is option of learning irish history) history done now just revising over exam qs 2001-2012 for course

Business(H)- 1st year course done just revising/learning over exam qs 2002-2012

Wood(H)- Going to learn in December

Metal(H) December

Italian(H)(December) although i doubt you can learn for a language lol

German(O)(December)

Cspe-still gotta finish action project

Oh yeah one more thing my pres are starting in start of January!!!!! should i start worrying noting how less work i have done

Well how far everyone one in their studies as for m y self lol went too lazy from Mid term just got sick of it nut so far done this much

English(H)- Doing all homework that teacher gives us, My way of studying lol cannot be arsed and anyways in my perspective I do not think you can even study for English but despite all that i will be getting a D i am absolute crap at it i got 40 (D) in summer and 39(E)Fail in mid term my teacher marks it sooooooo hard no one in the whole school got an A from her lol

Maths(H)-Regularly doing homework and going back over maths exam qs from 2001-2012 over and over again from paper 1 will start doing paper 2 in christmas

Science(H)-Finished Chemistry Course right now just learning/revising chemistry exam Qs. 2012-2006 to have a basic idea of the Qs. that will be asked

History(H)- 1st year 2nd year 3rd year(upto end of ww2,Teacher said there is option of learning irish history) history done now just revising over exam qs 2001-2012 for course

Metal(H) December

German(O)(December)

Oh yeah one more thing my pres are starting in start of January!!!!! should i start worrying noting how less work i have done

Hello! :) Welcome to the discussion!
    :O You study Italian and German? I've always wanted to study Italian, it's such an interesting language :)
    What's your favourite subject?

Hello! :) Welcome to the discussion!
    :O You study Italian and German? I've always wanted to study Italian, it's such an interesting language :)
    What's your favourite subject?

Thanks,
    Lol i know Italian is some crack and fun but that all stopped i am not boasting or anything but i was solid B's and A's untill 2nd year we got a new teacher and he is so bad he can barely teach and i get Bs and Cs
    And as for German quite easy if you compare it comprehension and listening wise
    Italian comprehension is living hell only word i can understand in that is Ciao :)
    As for fav subjects i would go with
    Maths
    Science
    Geog
    Business
    What about urs

Thanks,
    Lol i know Italian is some crack and fun but that all stopped i am not boasting or anything but i was solid B's and A's untill 2nd year we got a new teacher and he is so bad he can barely teach and i get Bs and Cs
    And as for German quite easy if you compare it comprehension and listening wise
    Italian comprehension is living hell only word i can understand in that is Ciao :)
    As for fav subjects i would go with
    Maths
    Science
    Geog
    Business
    What about urs

I wish we had the choice of learning Italian, Spanish or Japanese :(
    I do French :) I like it, although we keep getting new teachers ( Seven and counting since first year!) which is really disruptive. Adapting to all the different ways of learning things is annoying -.-

Awh :( I don't like it either when a good teacher leaves, it's way harder to adjust when you prefered the old teacher :)

They're really solid subjects :)
    Mine would probably be:
    History
    English
    Geo
    Religion ( I find Morality, Social Justice, and Ethnomethodology quite interesting)
    Science (Mostly Biology and Social Sciences)
    Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Science and maths ftw.

Hey Guys! :) How's everyone?

We've to start fundraising for our trip to California like now :L But I've barely any ideas! :O Help? :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

We've to start fundraising for our trip to California like now :L But I've barely any ideas! :O Help? :'(

Race night, cake sale. table quiz indoor soccer tournament. Gaming tournament(Fifa ,COD) Just a few from the top of the head scan.

A school talent show, coffee morning, garage sale, a sponsored walk, a raffle (you could get local shops to give you vouchers to raffle off), a non- uniform day (or anything like that, eg. Silly Socks day). That's all I can think of :) Good luck with it, I know fundraising can be tough! We do fundraisers for charities sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

Hello, I'll be doing JC in June 2013 too!
    English HL finishing Romeo and Juliet, starting Mice and Men
    Maths HL most of it done, revision, on to geometry now
    French HL half way through the last book
    Science HL few chapters to go, going to start our Coursework B soon
    Business HL doing everything basically, revision, stuff we never did etc
    Art HL finished my prep sheet, painting, and I'm on the support studies now
    History HL did only 5 chapters of the 3rd year work, we need to catch up!
    Geography HL still Soils and Map Reading to do but we revise everything from the beginning at the same time
    CSPE CL (did the action project just a month ago, finishing the course now)
    I have to get straight A's! It's just my aim, I want to go to a good university, maybe that is why my goals are set so high.

Hey Guys! :D How's everyone Mid-Term Exams Go? Mine went brilliant! I was under a bit of stress when they were coming around and I thought I didn't do great on them, but my report came back today and I got 8 As and 4 Bs All HL! :D Over the Moon! Nothing under 70% Couldn't have asked for better results tbh!! I got 100% in Geography and Science! I was so happy about that cause I knew I got an A but didn't know the percentages! :') My B's were in CSPE, French, Irish and Woodwork. Woodwork was never a strong point for me so I was overjoyed with 81% :D I know I can do better in French and CSPE (Test was ridiculous! :O Crossword on words we've never even heard of before :L I was delighted with 70% :L)! I was gutted with 84 in Irish :rolleyes: but you win some, you lose some :D Delighted anyways!

Hello, I'll be doing JC in June 2013 too!
    English HL finishing Romeo and Juliet, starting Mice and Men
    Maths HL most of it done, revision, on to geometry now
    French HL half way through the last book
    Science HL few chapters to go, going to start our Coursework B soon
    Business HL doing everything basically, revision, stuff we never did etc
    Art HL finished my prep sheet, painting, and I'm on the support studies now
    History HL did only 5 chapters of the 3rd year work, we need to catch up!
    Geography HL still Soils and Map Reading to do but we revise everything from the beginning at the same time
    CSPE CL (did the action project just a month ago, finishing the course now)
    I have to get straight A's! It's just my aim, I want to go to a good university, maybe that is why my goals are set so high.

Hello! :D I'm Nathan!

We did Romeo and Juliet for English too! I love Mice and Men! It's brilliant, but were doing the Help instead (also brilliant!)! Wow! You're really far in Maths! Although now that I think of it! We've nearly all the HL Paper One Topics covered, but we haven't touched the HL Paper Two Topics yet! My maths teacher's amazing though so I'm sure he'll figure something out! :D We're half way through our last French book as well (Is it bienvenue en france 2?) My teacher now decided that she's only doing one more chapter in it and leaving it because the rest is already covered or not really needed for the exam :rolleyes: we're doing a TON of listening lately! It's killing me :( I'm about the same on Science! When do the coursework B titles actually come out? :confused: We're doing mainly revision in business now, cause we've most of the course done! We've like a couple of bits of accounting to do yet and then we're all done! My business teacher is like a business Jesus, she's amazing :') We've only soils and climates to do in Geography once we finish up on Urbanization now :) but we're revising at the same time so we're moving slow enough! CSPE is awkward for us! Due to some issue with English, our school had to change the timetable to add 5 classes of English a week instead of four, so they had to take away one of our CSPE classes, which only leaves us with one :rolleyes: it's a bit of a panic! We're doing our action project now, and we'll write up on it soon after! We've only the last section left anyways so we're gong okay! I'm the same as you! :D I'm going for as many A's as possible! :') I'm aiming for medicine so every little helps :')

Tl;dr? It's all good.

Hi guys i was wondering is this enought studying because i have my pres in january looking forward to all Cs+up and in junior cert bs and up

Metal(H) December

German(O)(December)

Hi guys i was wondering is this enought studying because i have my pres in january looking forward to all Cs+up and in junior cert bs and up

Tell me to mind my own business but may be your attitude to studying English the reason you got a D? I get As in English (usually!) and my teacher's an experienced JC corrector and always corrects using the same scheme used in the exam. I get my As in English by studying. I do exam questions, learn off quotes and new vocabulary, do more exam questions, ensure I've a poem that covers every question, do more exam questions, ensure my novel and drama cover those questions, do more exam questions, understand all the different types of writing that might come up in the Functional Writing Section, do more exam questions, study the five types of languages and finally do every last exam question. See where I'm going with this? :rolleyes:

Seems to be good progress to me! :D Remember that Paper 2 is changed this year! Sample Paper is out now!

Good plan but I always think it's not a great idea to focus on one of the three science sections as your exam is on all three. Try to look at it as a whole and instead of doing 2012 and 2011 Chemistry Sections one night maybe do the entire 2012 Exam instead? :)

Exam Papers are key here! :D Keep up the great work!

Same with Geography! Exam Papers are key!

Make sure you're able to answer every single question that might come up!
    Metal(H) December

Why not now? Get a head start? :confused:
    German(O)(December)

Yes you can. Exam Questions. Until you can get full marks in every single exam question then there's stuff to learn. Grammar, Vocab, Exam Technique, etc, etc. Learn it. Now, preferably :rolleyes:

Try doing some exam questions maybe? There really easy! The course is common sense so revision won't be too difficult! :D Best of Luck!

Overall you seem to be going brilliant! :D Keep up the good work!! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Bazinga how much study a night are u doing!?

Tell me to mind my own business but may be your attitude to studying English the reason you got a D? I get As in English (usually!) and my teacher's an experienced JC corrector and always corrects using the same scheme used in the exam. I get my As in English by studying. I do exam questions, learn off quotes and new vocabulary, do more exam questions, ensure I've a poem that covers every question, do more exam questions, ensure my novel and drama cover those questions, do more exam questions, understand all the different types of writing that might come up in the Functional Writing Section, do more exam questions, study the five types of languages and finally do every last exam question. See where I'm going with this? :rolleyes:

Seems to be good progress to me! :D Remember that Paper 2 is changed this year! Sample Paper is out now!

Good plan but I always think it's not a great idea to focus on one of the three science sections as your exam is on all three. Try to look at it as a whole and instead of doing 2012 and 2011 Chemistry Sections one night maybe do the entire 2012 Exam instead? :)

Exam Papers are key here! :D Keep up the great work!

Same with Geography! Exam Papers are key!

Make sure you're able to answer every single question that might come up!

Why not now? Get a head start? :confused:

Yes you can. Exam Questions. Until you can get full marks in every single exam question then there's stuff to learn. Grammar, Vocab, Exam Technique, etc, etc. Learn it. Now, preferably :rolleyes:

Try doing some exam questions maybe? There really easy! The course is common sense so revision won't be too difficult! :D Best of Luck!

Overall you seem to be going brilliant! :D Keep up the good work!! XD

Thanks for advice

• Advertisement

Bazinga how much study a night are u doing!?

Ahm about 2/3 hours a night? Why? :L

Advertisement